Mighty Member

Default end of Jeanette Kahn and beginning of Dan Didio

What was the status of the legacy characters towards the end of Jeanette Kahn's run as DC publisher and how long was it before DD went crazy and wanted to eliminate Nightwing, Wally West and others? Was he more amenable from 2002-2011? And what was her view of legacies?

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I only know he planned to kill Nightwing in 2005 Infinite Crisis, succeeded in killing Stephanie Brown in 2004 War Games and the unused Titans like Pantha in 2005 Infinite Crisis then made Cassandra Cain evil in 2006 Robin One Year Later, thought that last one was quickly reversed.

Around the time... I think when Convergence or DC You was published, Didio shared his notes listing what he wanted when he first became boss. I saved it, but I don't remember where I put it since it's been so long. I'm gonna have to look it first. Among those lists are
    - Kill all unused Titans
    - Kill or make Dick Grayson evil, I forget, then make Jason Todd Nightwing

Jason became Nightwing in 2006 Nightwing One Year Later, but since Dick survived and Devin Grayson didn't really want to do it, that story just became a short joke.

When Nightwing was about to be killed, Devin Grayson was setting up Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon's wedding, and she wasn't told they were going to kill him. There was a scene of Dick proposing that made it to the comic, but after Infinite Crisis, he went off with Bruce and Tim on a one-year journey instead and the proposal was never mentioned again.

In that one year gap, Jason decided to fill-in as Nightwing in what I think was his first appearance as a naughty little brother anti-hero instead of a villain or anti-villain.

In 2003, according to Janelle Asselin, when she and Gail Simone were working together on Birds of Prey, their choice of artist was rejected by Didio. He wanted boobs, so they went with Ed Benes and Greg Land.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 11-04-2020 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I only know he planned to kill Nightwing in 2005 Infinite Crisis, succeeded in killing Stephanie Brown in 2004 War Games and the unused Titans like Pantha in 2005 Infinite Crisis then made Cassandra Cain evil in 2006 Robin One Year Later, thought that last one was quickly reversed.

Around the time... I think when Convergence or DC You was published, Didio shared his notes listing what he wanted when he first became boss. I saved it, but I don't remember where I put it since it's been so long. I'm gonna have to look it first. Among those lists are
    - Kill all unused Titans

Jason became Nightwing in 2006 Nightwing One Year Later, but since Dick survived and Devin Grayson didn't really want to do it, that story just became a short joke.

When Nightwing was about to be killed, Devin Grayson was setting up Dick Grayson and Barbara Gordon's wedding, and she wasn't told they were going to kill him. There was a scene of Dick proposing that made it to the comic, but after Infinite Crisis, he went off with Bruce and Tim on a one-year journey instead and the proposal was never mentioned again.

In that one year gap, Jason decided to fill-in as Nightwing in what I think was his first appearance as a naughty little brother anti-hero instead of a villain or anti-villain.

In 2003, according to Janelle Asselin, when she and Gail Simone were working together on Birds of Prey, their choice of artist was rejected by Didio. He wanted boobs, so they went with Ed Benes and Greg Land.
    So glad that Didio is no longer in DC.

It sucks to be right BohemiaDrinker's Avatar
    If i was a comic character, my surname would be DaCosta

Quote Originally Posted by CTTT View Post
    What was the status of the legacy characters towards the end of Jeanette Kahn's run as DC publisher and how long was it before DD went crazy and wanted to eliminate Nightwing, Wally West and others? Was he more amenable from 2002-2011? And what was her view of legacies?
    No, he was not more amenable back then. I’d say it took about 3 years for him to go nuts. Around the time of Infinite Crosses the mandate was “no redundancies”, and he managed to take Wally and Cass out in one swoop, almost killed Dick, etc. Flash Rebirth, easy back in 2009 was pretty much the last step in him ruining everything.
    ConnEr Kent flies. ConnOr Hawke has a bow. Batman's kid is named DamiAn.

To do spoiler tags, use [ spoil ] at the start of the sentence and [ /spoil ] at the end, without the spaces. You're welcome!

Extraordinary Member

Bottom line is he was entirely unsuited for his job, and never should have been employed by DC. Good thing he's finally gone, but he hung on for so long when he was clearly the wrong person, makes you wonder about DC and WB.

Quote Originally Posted by achilles View Post
    Bottom line is he was entirely unsuited for his job, and never should have been employed by DC. Good thing he's finally gone, but he hung on for so long when he was clearly the wrong person, makes you wonder about DC and WB.
    If I've learned anything about the Big Two is that their parent companies don't necessarily care for the content of the books (unless said content stirs up a media frenzy) so long as the sales charts stays at a certain level.

- Kill all unused Titans

You mean this? Infinite Crisis Hit List.jpg

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Wolf-By-Night View Post
    I think so... it's more crumpled than I remember...
    Young Justice, not Titans (though he may consider them both the same since Johns made Young Justice Titans in 2003)... no mention of Jason? I may mix it up with other interviews... or a website's interpretation of the note

I think so... it's more crumpled than I remember...
    Young Justice, not Titans (though he may consider them both the same since Johns made Young Justice Titans in 2003)... no mention of Jason? I may mix it up with other interviews... or a website's interpretation of the note
    There's an interview from six years ago with Devin Grayson that talks about, among other things, the end of her run on Nightwing, her thoughts on Jason as Nightwing, and how Didio made it very clear to her what he thought about Dick Grayson. https://thebatmanuniverse.net/tbu-exclusive-3/