Hello guys, today I'm here to discuss a very controversial topic. I'm a huge Spider-Man fan and I've read almost everything that Marvel published about the character. Every time I listen to people talking about the best runs, lots of them mention the J. Michael Straczynski run. Now, I actually like the whole "atmosphere" about this period (I was very into Spider-Man then) and JMS is a very talented writer, but... is THE RUN actually that good or do people like it because it's a common feeling or nostalgia? Let's analyze the principal storylines by JMS and try to understand if they were really that good. Of course these are personal ideas, so I'd like you to tell your opinions!

1- COMING HOME. This is actually a very good storyline and it starts to introduce an adult Peter Parker and his new job as a teacher. The mysterious Ezekiel and Morlun make their first appearance and, in general, characters are very well written. There are many mysteries and a "thriller" tone to it. I like this storyline, so I think this is the part most people think of when they mention the JMS run.
2- HAPPY BIRTHDAY. A "Parker's luck" kind of storyline. Spidey has to fight a monster on his birthday. There are lots of flashbacks about earlier fights (Doc Ock, Goblin and so on) and action, so it's actually a good story. Not much happens, but I like it.
3- CHASING A DARK SHADOW. This is where something starts getting weirder. Lots of magic elements and mystic characters are a foreshadowing of the next chapter. I kinda like this story, but it doesn't feel like Spider-Man to me.
4- THE BOOK OF EZEKIEL. Ok, right... I don't get why people love this. Don't get me wrong: I am a huge fan of horror stories and mysteries, but... Spider-Man having mystic powers? Predestination? Why? Was it necessary? Ezekiel is a great character, but the whole storyline feels bizarre and totally out of character. I don't know.
5- SINS PAST. Don't even get me started on this garbage. We all know this story, we all hate it. Straczynski craps all over continuity, Gwen and Mary Jane for pure shock factor. I know Quesada changed his original plans, but they were stupid anyway. The lowest point in Spider-Man history (except for... see that later). AWFUL.
6- THE OTHER - EVOLVE OR DIE. Another horror story, and this time Spidey almost gets killed by Morlun. It's not bad, but... I still don't get this whole "everything is spider related". Here Peter gets reborn in a new body and there are giant spider monsters. Don't know about it, just feels completely out of character and useless.
7- THE WAR AT HOME. I don't like Civil War that much, so not a big fan of this. Also, it's the prelude of the OTHER worst Spider-Man story ever. Aunt May gets shot by hitmen that wanted to kill Peter after he revealed his identity during Civil War. Like, that can't go wrong, right?
8- BACK IN BLACK. Oh, this is great. Peter goes crazy and beats Kingpin like a pig after he ordered the shot that hit Aunt May. I love the tone of this. Yeah, there are stupid things like the black suit hanging from a building for twenty years, but seeing Peter going completely insane and almost becoming the Punisher was interesting. Unfortunately, after this... The Apocalypse.
9- ONE MORE DAY. Right... Screw this. This is not Spider-Man. This is a middle finger to all the fans. Peter making A DEAL WITH THE DEVIL to save Aunt May? What about power and responsibility? Again, I know Quesada forced Straczynski to write this so Peter could be young again and blablabla, but this trash is still a part of his run.

And that was it. I wouldn't consider it a fantastic run. It had fantastic moments, but awful ones also. What are your opinions?