Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 41011121314151617 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    General consensus: It was very polarizing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Batman Begins 2005 View Post
    It was. Same for Dan Slott.
    Now that's a short way to put it lol.

In some ways yeah, it's pretty polarizing, the whole magic **** is just weird, and the way it's introduced is rather awkward, since we have Ezekiel saying "What if it wasn't the radiation that gave you powers? What if it was a magic Spider trying to give powers to you?", which Peter reacts with "HOLY **** I NEVER CONSIDERED THAT AND THIS GUY REMINDS ME OF UNCLE BEN FOR SOME REASON!"

JMS can be pretty good at writing character moments, but that right there? It felt like some half assed fanfiction with some concept being introduced that is outside of the usual and, Peter reacting in the oddest way.

After that it's less awkward at least, and Ezekiel is a decent character too, but that's a weird way to introduce, but it's early awkwardness, which can happen with any writer.

The best things about it are the way Peter's and MJ's relationships are developed, Aunt May becoming more of a real character is nice too, even if it felt odd the way they did it, but stuff like the villains being meh, and just forget anything Romita Jr. leaves.

Morlum being wanked in the dumbest way was annoying too, 'cause Peter said nobody else pissed him off that badly... **** off man, when you have Green Goblin killing Gwen, Jackal being that creep who made both Clone Sagas, Otto being a terrorist, Venom constantly emotionally torturing him, among others, Morlum is the guy who pissed Peter off the most? Yeah

Thinking of it, both Ezekiel and Morlum got weird shilling as characters, which is annoying, characters should only talk highly of someone else if they have enough reason to believe so, if you don't do that we get a Gwen/Carlie situation, where characters talk about the character like they're better than they really are, Ezekiel, again, at least he turned out to be an okay character, Morlum being the one who pissed off Spidey the most when by that point all he did was harass Spidey a bit? And ultimately he's just a bland hunter character with even less personality than Kraven? Come on now.

Basically, if you don't like the magic aspect and how trimmed down the rogues gallery and supporting cast is, then it's a bad run, but if you can appreciate the character moments and trying something different, then it can be enjoyable, which is why it's polarizing, it's unusual, and even before Sins Past happened it had its issues that would make people not like it.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    That feels like the exact opposite of what Spider-man has always been.

He's not a larger than life god-like icon. He's a more or less normal schmoe that's doing his best to do the right thing.

And yes, making him a mythic figure does remove some of his importance. It elevates what he does to a higher unreachable standard rather than letting it stand as the actions of a regular guy trying his best and not always succeeding.

If you want DC-like heroes, you should go read DC comics.
    To be fair, it's not that surprising that an angle like that was pushed, because while in theory Spidey is supposed to be just a normal guy with super powers trying his best, in practice we had a lot of other characters talking about how awesome he is as a person to the point other characters really admire him, so him being seen as a peak of heroism in some ways? Yeah, the totem **** wasn't that far fetched to happen in some way.

Of course, there's a huge difference between some characters seeing him as awesome, and him being the most awesome Spider in the multiverse, just that the level of admiration he got before makes it not far fetched for that to happen eventually, the surprising thing is how it sticked lol.
    Last edited by Lukmendes; 10-10-2020 at 11:13 PM.

I really liked JMS run, as his stories (alongside Bendis Ultimate S-M) were my introduction into Spider-comics (not counting that one Issue from the 90's where Spider-Man fought the Shocker and then the Lizard, but my memory of it is foggy, as I was a little kid back then).

Anyway, I simply loved the way he wrote characters. His Aunt May, PP and MJ are simply amazing.
    I don't have any problems with totem stuff, it was unique in its own way and added an interesting layer to Spidey mythos. Was it weird? Kinda, yeah. But it wasn't bad.

Now Sins Past was awfull in many ways, and I don't think even his original idea was much better. It's just a bad story idea overall.

Spectacular Member

I'm a big big fan of the first half of JMS' run. The entirety of the JRjr run holds up really well I think.

I think one thing that hasn't been talked about enough is how strong JMS' run started compared to where Spider-Man was at right before he started. The Mackie/Byrne era is a true low point for the character. Those two years of story telling are....just awful. Truly awful. I remember when Paul Jenkins came on to Spider-Man and it was such a refreshing thing to have Peter Parker written well again. It felt, at least to me, like JMS was rescuing Amazing Spider-Man as a book. It had really been a rough stretch for Spidey fans going back to the start of the clone saga (I kind of like some of the stories between the death of Ben Reily and John Byrne's run but none of it is well regarded today). So having JMS write a Peter Parker that sounded like Peter Parker, that behaved like Peter Parker, that fought like Peter Parker, was a breath of fresh air.

But yes, once Deodato comes on the run falls apart. I mean his New Avengers arc isn't bad but it doesn't save the run from disaster. I even think Back in Black is slightly overrated (though I love the Matt Fraction annual issue). But I still think of JMS as one of the better writers to ever write Spidey.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hcmarvel View Post
    I'm a big big fan of the first half of JMS' run. The entirety of the JRjr run holds up really well I think.

I think one thing that hasn't been talked about enough is how strong JMS' run started compared to where Spider-Man was at right before he started. The Mackie/Byrne era is a true low point for the character. Those two years of story telling are....just awful. Truly awful. I remember when Paul Jenkins came on to Spider-Man and it was such a refreshing thing to have Peter Parker written well again. It felt, at least to me, like JMS was rescuing Amazing Spider-Man as a book. It had really been a rough stretch for Spidey fans going back to the start of the clone saga (I kind of like some of the stories between the death of Ben Reily and John Byrne's run but none of it is well regarded today). So having JMS write a Peter Parker that sounded like Peter Parker, that behaved like Peter Parker, that fought like Peter Parker, was a breath of fresh air.

But yes, once Deodato comes on the run falls apart. I mean his New Avengers arc isn't bad but it doesn't save the run from disaster. I even think Back in Black is slightly overrated (though I love the Matt Fraction annual issue). But I still think of JMS as one of the better writers to ever write Spidey.
    JMS better then Ditko, Lee, Conway, Stern and Spencer? No way Jose. Slott? I would agree. But Sins Past, OMD and the dark stories JMS came up with? Warrants a grade of “D”

BANNED

Agreed on this. Co-signed.

Spider-Man was torpedoed so badly by the Clone Saga* that it's aftermath lasted for years until JMS finally cleaned house.

* Some here do like the Clone Saga and so on, let me say that there were good stories in that period and even in the period right after that. The presence of a few pearls doesn't make the garbage bin an oyster.

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    JMS better then Ditko, Lee, Conway, Stern and Spencer? No way Jose. Slott? I would agree. But Sins Past, OMD and the dark stories JMS came up with? Warrants a grade of “D”
    WOW, I did not say any of that. I'll take Ditko, Lee, Conway and Stern all over JMS. I'd still rank JMS above Spencer but that might be nostalgia talking. Though I don't think Spencer has written an arc as good as Coming Home, Doomed Affairs or the Birthday issue.

Astonishing Member

WOW, I did not say any of that. I'll take Ditko, Lee, Conway and Stern all over JMS. I'd still rank JMS above Spencer but that might be nostalgia talking. Though I don't think Spencer has written an arc as good as Coming Home, Doomed Affairs or the Birthday issue.
    You did say JMS is one of the “Better writers on Spider-Man” While I admit to being tough on JMS, most of us can agree that he does not make the Top 3 writers of Spider-Man.

Spectacular Member

You did say JMS is one of the “Better writers on Spider-Man” While I admit to being tough on JMS, most of us can agree that he does not make the Top 3 writers of Spider-Man.
    One of the best. A LOT of people have written Spider-Man. JMS would be in my top seven probably.

LOL speak for yourself, man. I put him in my top 3: JMS, Stern, and Jenkins (but that's based on what I've read).

BANNED

As a pure writer...judging the script, plot, characterization, dialogue. I'd rank JMS in the top 3 -- alongside Roger Stern and J. M. DeMatteis. Those three are the best writers of Spider-Man in the literary sense.

In terms of judging it as a collaboration and in the overall ranking as a run, I'd place him in the top 5, don't ask me for the rest, just I'd rank it high.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    As a pure writer...judging the script, plot, characterization, dialogue. I'd rank JMS in the top 3 -- alongside Roger Stern and J. M. DeMatteis. Those three are the best writers of Spider-Man in the literary sense.

In terms of judging it as a collaboration and in the overall ranking as a run, I'd place him in the top 5, don't ask me for the rest, just I'd rank it high.
    Conway who have us ASM 121-122 and Punisher and then went to Hollywood to write says hello. Look at Ditko ( look what he created),

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    LOL speak for yourself, man. I put him in my top 3: JMS, Stern, and Jenkins (but that's based on what I've read).
    Jenkins over Conway, Lee and Ditko. That’s like taking Whoopi Goldberg over Salma Hayak in a beauty contest.

Jenkins over Conway, Lee and Ditko. That’s like taking Whoopi Goldberg over Salma Hayak in a beauty contest.
    Beauty is subjective, you know.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post

Dang, I forgot DeMatteis! KLH, Wonder...ugh, so good. Yeah, my list matches yours adding on Jenkins (my childhood Spider-Writer)

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Dang, I forgot DeMatteis! KLH, Wonder...ugh, so good. Yeah, my list matches yours adding on Jenkins (my childhood Spider-Writer)
    I would even take Marv Wolfman over Jenkins. Why? He created Felicia which is more then Jenkins ever did.