Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 71314151617
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I think a lot of the "Spider-Man needs to be about youth first and foremost" creative decisions are more interested sweeping stuff under the rug
    Losing a child is hard to sweep under, and concealing it's impact is very intellectually dishonest. A situation like that will always age you.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    Comics back then didn’t dwell on PTSD very much (heck they don’t do it too much now), so writing her out of the story was probably the most they could do with her.
    After reading a little too much Tom King over the past few years, I'm good with comics just being comics again.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Losing a child is hard to sweep under, and concealing it's impact is very intellectually dishonest. A situation like that will always age you.
    IRL I completely agree. In fiction that's a completely different story. I've seen dramas where a character finds out that his wife has been secretly going to swingers clubs behind his back and as heart wrenching as it is that episode, it's not even mentioned the next. It's the nature of fiction, unfortunately. Events are only as important as the creators want them to be.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Astonishing Member

Just my opinion, but the 90s was too early for Peter and MJ to have a child. As much as I dislike the de-aging, I have no problem with that part of the Clone Saga being swept under the rug.

IMO, Peter and MJ were not going to have a kid this early even without OMD happening. JMS' MJ was travelling everywhere for her career and Peter just got a new job as a teacher and was fixated on his students. None of that screams "soon-to-be parents". (which isn't to say they don't want or shouldn't eventually have kids)

If OMD never happened, I think the 2010's were the earliest you could have made Peter and MJ have a kid.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Just my opinion, but the 90s was too early for Peter and MJ to have a child
    Had Mayday survived they would have adjusted, in fact the short-lived Mr and Mrs Spider-Man strip demonstrated how they did. They proved more than capable.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    If OMD never happened, I think the 2010's were the earliest you could have made Peter and MJ have a kid.
    Re: Renew Your Vows

Astonishing Member

How do people feel about the plots that JMS had. I originally considered his weak plots a knock against him, but looking back at Spider-Man as a whole, I’m not sure Spider-Man ever had strong plots at all, so I don’t know why I singled him out.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Rat View Post
    Had Mayday survived they would have adjusted, in fact the short-lived Mr and Mrs Spider-Man strip demonstrated how they did. They proved more than capable.
    I'm referring to the length of the status quo, and not their parenting skills.

IMO, there were still more interesting stories to explore with Peter and MJ as a young childless couple before Marvel goes ahead and gives them a child. I am fine with the 90's and the JMS era having focused on that status quo and on Teacher Peter instead of Father Peter.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 06-11-2022 at 01:56 PM.