Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spidey5640 View Post
    Really? Ditko not that good? That's unbelievable.
    I think Revolutionary Jack just tries to be contrary. Saying Ditko is not that good is like saying Salma Hayak is not beautiful. But there are those who actually think it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by NC_Yankee View Post
    That is exactly right. Roger Stern who is in my humble opinion the most underrated Spider-Man writer completely understood this.
    Stern is far from underrated. He's often ranked high among the best Spider-Man writers.

I mean let's see who wants to start a Stern bashing thread.

I think Revolutionary Jack just tries to be contrary.
    Not sure what you mean here. I wasn't the one bashing Ditko.

Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    Stern is far from underrated. He's often ranked high among the best Spider-Man writers.

I mean let's see who wants to start a Stern bashing thread.

Not sure what you mean here. I wasn't the one bashing Ditko.
    Is probably one of the few runs that i never heard many complaints about if any, DeFalco, Wolfman, Conway, Micheline, DeMatteis, JMS, Slottt all their runs had their fair share of supporters and detractors, but Stern? pretty much everyone loves it, most likely is considered the best Spider-Man run after the Lee/Dikto/Romita years.
    "Wow. You made Spider-Man sad, congratulations. I stabbed The Hulk last week"
    Wolverine, Venom Annual # 1 (2018)
    Nobody does it better by Jeff Loveness

"I am Thou, Thou Art I"
    Persona

Fantastic Member

I think Revolutionary Jack just tries to be contrary.
    I think Revolutionary Jack is actually JMS.

Quote Originally Posted by RJT View Post
    That's not funny nor is it called for.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    That's not funny nor is it called for.
    Gosh, you guys take your JMS Spider-Man comics so seriously.

Gosh, you guys take your JMS Spider-Man comics so seriously.
    Oh, no...don't tell me you're one of those "edgy" comic fans that "doesn't take things seriously" yet finds the time to comment their two cents on a thread.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebSlingWonder View Post
    Oh, no...don't tell me you're one of those "edgy" comic fans that "doesn't take things seriously" yet finds the time to comment their two cents on a thread.
    I don’t think I’m edgy...I just find it humorous how the two of you are demanding college thesis papers from anyone who says they don’t like JMS’s Spider-Man run, and anytime anyone makes a joke (like the guy who said about the pasta dish with manure at the bottom) you take such umbrage. Some people love JMS’s run, some hate it and some like parts of it and don’t like other parts. The two of you should stop getting the vapors anytime anybody but the first group says anything.

BANNED

I wish. Then I would be rich, living off royalties from my successful TV Show, the points from my respected and influential runs on ASM and Thor, as well as consulting fees for the MCU, and also the screenwriter of a very good movie called CHANGELING starring Angelina Jolie.

I would also be suffering from the traumatic and horrific childhood described by JMS in his recent autobiography...and all of a sudden, I don't wish I was JMS.

I don’t think I’m edgy...I just find it humorous how the two of you are demanding college thesis papers from anyone who says they don’t like JMS’s Spider-Man run,
    The OP was the one who put the phrase "let's analyse" in the opening post. All we did was ask people who misread the run, as one poster here absolutely did by totally misinterpreting the scene where Spider-Man let's loose in a condemned building, to think again.

...and anytime anyone makes a joke (like the guy who said about the pasta dish with manure at the bottom) you take such umbrage.
    We responded to his joke with jokes of our own. That's not umbrage, my dude.

How about you tell us your opinion on JMS' run? That's what's actually on-topic, not me, WebSlingWonder or anyone else.

Rev_Jack is right. I'm staying on topic and not engaging nonsense.
    Last edited by WebSlingWonder; 09-05-2020 at 07:33 PM.

BANNED

Let's stay on topic here, respond to the OP and the thread which is about JMS' Spider-Man and if it holds up, either agree/disagree. None of the rest matters. Not bashing Ditko, attacking fellow posters, or so on.

Let's stay on topic here, respond to the OP and the thread which is about JMS' Spider-Man and if it holds up, either agree/disagree. None of the rest matters. Not bashing Ditko, attacking fellow posters, or so on.
    Agreed. 10/chars.

Astonishing Member

I say JMS isn't that good.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

I enjoyed it. I loved that JMS was keen on giving us new villains, which really put us in a position where we didnt feel this had all done before. Coming Home is great, Back in Black is great. There’s a lot that’s not so great, too.

Spectacular Member

Fact is that we are discussing JMS' run in a thread started by someone to bash him, not to bash Ditko. This stuff is quite off-topic.

Start a thread to bash Ditko if this bothers you so much to vent about it.

Mary Jane's backstory and character development is all based on elements established by Steve Ditko. Conway said that he believed that Mary Jane had to be the one because Aunt May believed that she was the girl for him. And later writers agreed there had to be something to Mary Jane that made Aunt May believe that she and Peter would work, even if they themselves didn't entirely accept Conway's sentiments.

Roger Stern was the man who developed Mary Jane's backstory and he was a keen Ditko enthusiast, and the first time he alluded to Mary Jane's past was the issue in (ASM#241 or 242) where Peter, MJ, May, Anna have lunch and after that May explains why she and Anna tried to set up Peter and Mary Jane way back then, "both of you had lost so much".For Stern, who was no Peter/MJ shipper, it was simply about building on what's established and making character motivation align with what was set up.
    For the third time... I NEVER BASHED JMS. If you read my original post I literally said "JMS is a very talented writer", I just don't think his run is so great as many people say. Also, my opinion is the mystic things are out of character. If you think they are not, we're good. It's not that "I'm misreading things", because I could say the same thing about you. It's only a thread to share opinions.