Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Default Are We Going to Get More Earth One Books?

If I'm not mistaken the last one to be released was the Green Lantern book from two years ago which I absolutely loved. The only time I ever liked Hal Jordan. I haven't catch up on the comics side of things but are their more Earth One books planned? It feels like this line has fallen to the way side.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Immortal Weapon View Post
    If I'm not mistaken the last one to be released was the Green Lantern book from two years ago which I absolutely loved. The only time I ever liked Hal Jordan. I haven't catch up on the comics side of things but are their more Earth One books planned? It feels like this line has fallen to the way side.
    There was a second Green Lantern Earth One released just a few weeks ago, and I've heard that they're just waiting on art for the third Batman and Wonderwoman books.

Batman is getting another volume, it’s not clear if that will be the last one or not. WW will be getting one last volume and then be ending. Superman seems to be done since JMS has retired from Big 2 work. JMS was supposed to do Flash but that’s probably not happening. Manupal has been working on Aquaman for ages, no clue if that will ever actually happen or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Batman is getting another volume, it’s not clear if that will be the last one or not. WW will be getting one last volume and then be ending. Superman seems to be done since JMS has retired from Big 2 work. JMS was supposed to do Flash but that’s probably not happening. Manupal has been working on Aquaman for ages, no clue if that will ever actually happen or not.
    The last I heard was that an idea from Aquaman: Earth One was getting repurposed for 5G.

I recall Johns saying the art for Vol. 3 of Batman is done and I assume Vol. 3 for Wonder Woman will come out sometime after Morrison is done with GL.

Vol. 2 of GL came out last month and it setups for sequel so there will hopefully be a third one there as well.

I wish DC used this line more strategically to attract new audiences. Theses books should be the perfect place for fans of DC from other media to get into comics, but I'm not sure these books are even marketed towards them.
    They're basically just new takes on DC's most popular heroes, but we still have nothing regarding characters like Shazam, Flash, Doom Patrol, Green Arrow or Black Lightning, which have huge outside media exposure.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    The last I heard was that an idea from Aquaman: Earth One was getting repurposed for 5G.
    Now it'll probably be re-repurposed as Earth One gain lol.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

I would love the jeans & t-shirt Superman to get a second chance as a reboot of the Earth One Superman line. JMS's version left me cold

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

It would not surprise me if the new management is phasing out the EO line too. I'm sure the Batman and WW books will be allowed to finish up but I doubt they'll do anything more with it after that. Assuming there are any others that are at least halfway finished. They had two Teen Titans books. It doesn't sound like there will be any more.
    Assassinate Putin!

I'm guessing the sales on these books weren't that great? I know the Batman Earth One books sold well, but with how DC is focusing more on OGNs and other original stories you'd think they would want to fast track more Earth One books if it was a big success for them. So it makes me think the Earth One line wasn't meeting expectations. Some Earth One books like the Teen Titans one came and went and don't get talked about at all anymore.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    I'm guessing the sales on these books weren't that great? I know the Batman Earth One books sold well, but with how DC is focusing more on OGNs and other original stories you'd think they would want to fast track more Earth One books if it was a big success for them. So it makes me think the Earth One line wasn't meeting expectations. Some Earth One books like the Teen Titans one came and went and don't get talked about at all anymore.
    They sold pretty well at first. They were even best sellers. But I have no idea what their more recent numbers are. Especially since there haven't been that many lately. Part of the problem is the fact that they let them come out on their own schedules. So you end up with something like five to ten years between volumes. This is the ten year anniversary of the first EO Superman book and there have been less than a dozen in all that time. New 52 creating a whole universe of 20 something super-heroes didn't help.
    Assassinate Putin!

Just finished Green Lantern v2, actually. Wonderful set of books, but I actually haven’t picked up any of the others. How is Morrison’s WW and the two Titans volumes?

Gary Frank finished art for Batman Volume 3 back in June. Johns said they are just waiting on DC to give a release date. Morrison is finished writing WW Volume 3, it is being drawn now, not sure is Paquette is on art for volume 3 or not? I would guess Batman in late winter / early Spring 2021, and WW late summer of 2021? Hopefully see a Green Lantern volume 3, as volume 2 ended on a cliffhanger.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Just finished Green Lantern v2, actually. Wonderful set of books, but I actually haven’t picked up any of the others. How is Morrison’s WW and the two Titans volumes?
    "Interesting failure" is how I'd mostly describe WW: Earth One. He goes a lot into the character's Golden Age roots but seems more interested in examining/deconstructing stuff from that period of the character's history than Diana herself. Greg Rucka was originally supposed to be the writer and all-in-all would have preferred if he was.

Art isn't to my tastes but it is pretty good/stunning.

Quote Originally Posted by Adset View Post
    Titans sucks. WW is an interesting exploration of the Marston Golden Age WW, but it ultimately fell short of being “great” for me.

Spectacular Member

The biggest failure with the line is no consistency in releases. It doesn't need to be every 6 months (though that'd be great) but at least once a year and spread out so we get a new earth one book every two months or so would've been great