Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Default Supergirl: Older or younger than Superman

Just wanted to get folks' opinion on the pre-crisis and post-crisis Supergirl's age:

1. Pre-crisis: Born after Krypton's destruction on the drifting city of Argo.

2. Post-crisis: Already a teen when Krypton was destroyed and accidentally in stasis until arriving on Earth around thirty years later.

(Also, can't stand those stories with a rebellious teen-age Kryptonian on Earth.)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by raidensix View Post
    Just wanted to get folks' opinion on the pre-crisis and post-crisis Supergirl's age:

1. Pre-crisis: Born after Krypton's destruction on the drifting city of Argo.

2. Post-crisis: Already a teen when Krypton was destroyed and accidentally in stasis until arriving on Earth around thirty years later.

(Also, can't stand those stories with a rebellious teen-age Kryptonian on Earth.)
    Whichever’s the opposite of Powergirl’s origin.

Kinda prefer her being chronologically older. Just so she can remember Krypton as it was clearly, as its an intriguing difference between her and Clark.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Kinda prefer her being chronologically older. Just so she can remember Krypton as it was clearly, as its an intriguing difference between her and Clark.
    This, even if it kind of make her origin harder to explain (the older cousin who returned as a teen?).

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Pre-Crisis

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Pre-Crisis
    Same here, I vastly prefer her Pre-Crisis history, age range, and overall characterization.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

It depends on what kind of take they're going with or how she's servicing the story, but by the time she shows up I think she should be younger than Clark biologically and young enough to where we don't need to see them justify why she's called a "Girl."

Like the older on Krypton, stasis, younger on Earth origin. It's a accurate hard science fiction concept that adds to the strangeness of Superman's world. Your older-younger cousin is the type of science fiction thing that Superman can pull off.

Astonishing Member

You talk as though both can't happen at the same time

i like having both Kara and Kal see themselves as the older cousin. Makes for a cute and funny dynamic.
    not sure if Argo should exist, Kandor is already pushing it.

Retired

I hate her being older (but still younger). The classic origin was pretty complex, too--but I understand why it had to be complex, because they wanted to make sure that Superman was the last survivor of the planet Krypton and his (by then) two decades of history was unimpeachable.

The new origin strikes me as a clever idea that would have been good as an imaginary story, but it doesn't hold up for me as a permanent part of the lore.

There were so many other ways to have introduced the new Supergirl, without that mind-bending twist. She could be from Argon--an outer planet in the Rao system, where Zor-El and Allura had established a domed colony and thus survived the destruction of Krypton, but which ultimately was destroyed by collateral damage.

Sign me up as another that likes the "older younger" cousin thing.

It feels strange for her to be older than the character off of which she is spun.

Post Crisis for me. I prefer Kara being the one with the strongest connection to Krypton, and her last memory of Kal before arriving on Earth being him as a baby. Makes for a fun dynamic.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The Argo City origin never made sense to me. Having them both leave at the same time makes a lot more sense just from a logic standpoint. Plus, it makes Jor-El look like a jerk that he didn't even tell his own brother the planet was about to explode.
    Assassinate Putin!