Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Do you think an Earth 1985 or an Earth 52 line would succeed financially?

Given the current state of the market and DC's attempts to reach out to younger readers, do you think an Earth 1985 line or an Earth 52 line would do well?
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    Given the current state of the market and DC's attempts to reach out to younger readers, do you think an Earth 1985 line or an Earth 52 line would do well?
    As with anything else, it all depends on the execution, but personally I think there’s a 50-50 chance that such a line might work, but that’s just me.
    Pull List: Currently Empty

1985? I don’t think so to be honest. Is there a strong demand for Pre Crisis DC these days? I’d have a hard time believing that. An Earth 52 though, yeah I do. Hell they should’ve done that in the first place instead of rebooting the whole line.

An Earth 52 line could work but it needs a stronger USP than "20-something rookie versions in 2020".
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 09-05-2020 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    1985? I don’t think so to be honest. Is there a strong demand for Pre Crisis DC these days? I’d have a hard time believing that. An Earth 52 though, yeah I do. Hell they should’ve done that in the first place instead of rebooting the whole line.
    Yeah, New 52 wouldn't have got nearly as much backlash if it had been a smaller Ultimate Universe style line instead of a reboot they later had to backtrack on.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

I’d buy the hell out of anthology book of either. A jeans and t-shirt Superman arc, maybe Johns has another 4 issues of Aquaman in him, maybe Levitz gets an issue to explain what the hell happened at the end of his Legion run. Similarly, I’d be interested in a pre-Crisis Superman arc, maybe Infinity, Inc or the Squadron...

Would either sell? Eh, probably not.

I wasn’t reading 52 when it was out but I’ve read some stuff since and actually liked it a lot. I’d be good with seeing more of that universe. Strong pass on 1985 though. I don’t get the appeal other than nostalgia. Can’t imagine any concepts are better than what we have now.

Astonishing Member

It would depend on the talent involved, I think. Anthologies are a hard sell == maybe if they could get a consistent team of creators, it could have legs. But even then, I doubt they could keep it going for more than a few years. Maybe a digital series?

Astonishing Member

Earth-52 could work, especially for New 52 takes that have completely been wiped out in Rebirth - Superman being the prime example of course. But I don't think there are too many New 52 versions that are distinct from the Rebirth versions and have a solid fanbase.

Earth-1985 I think could work for a miniseries or event or one-off of some sort. But as a regular ongoing, let alone a new line? I have my doubts. The Post-COIE 'Modern Age' seems to be what people are nostalgic for these days, with a bit of Silver Age nostalgia thrown in. Not really sure what the unique appeal of Pre-COIE DC would be right now.

I think a return to original Earth 2 might work though, if they lean heavily into the idea of it being the 'original DCU'. I think there is an appetite for Golden Age Superman stories - Batman and WW as well

I doubt that a 1985 range would sell as an ongoing thing, but I think they could do a series of one shots or something. I would love to see something done with that- especially with Superman and Wonder Woman as those versions are pretty distinct to the era. More of Batman, Flash and GL's pre Crisis histories were continued into post Crisis continuity but Superman and Wonder Woman were given fresh slates post Crisis.

Spectacular Member randomideaguy's Avatar

Just based on what has been selling recently, I would say Earth 52. Batman was a lot less prolific in 1985 and nowadays IIRC about 50% of DCs lines are related to him in some way.

Definitely agreed that making 52 more of an Ultimate Universe type thing is a good idea.

Not as Earth-52 or Earth-1985.
    Earth-1985 in particular is a terrible name from a marketing perspective. But if they create a line where characters are in their most classic states around that era and call it something else, it could do well as a separate imprint, maybe all-ages oriented or a line of prestige GNs.
    As for the New 52, they'd need to rebrand it as a sorte of Ultimate DCU, where the newest and freshest takes get to live. New DC or something like that and as a line of OGNs or digital comics.

I would buy the heck out of an Earth-1985. All Classic, all iconic.

The key to their success is to STAY classic and Iconic. You can't start a line based on pre-crisis... and then start introducing Damian and aging the characters up and bringing in Jon... Then it's not pre-crisis anymore.

the Alex Ross series 'Justice' is exactly what it should be. Write a little older, have better art... but keep the characters what they are.

i think a lot of people would jump on a 'back to basics' approach as opposed to modernizing and dark and gritty and whatever the heck they keep trying.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

What about some OGNs that take place in those universes? Sort of like the Earth One line?
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member

Probably an example of what NOT to do.