Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Astonishing Member

Default Has Marvel Comics ran out of story ideas?

It would seem(IMO) that most of the new material that's being published by Marvel are repetition of previous stories from decades past. Bringing back dead characters, along with the retcons has become the norm. From the 1960's until the mid-1980, Marvel used to create interesting stories that were inspiring. Every since Secret Wars II, along with bringing Jean Grey back from the dead, Marvel has been in a slump. For once, Marvel should suspend the idea of creating new characters. They should focus on their existing characters by moving them into other departments for further development, such as The Leader, The Goblyn Queen and Abomination as Spider-Man rogues. The company needs to mix things up...Do you agree?
    Last edited by Darthfury78; 09-06-2020 at 07:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    It would seem(IMO) that most of the new material that's being published by Marvel are repetition of previous stories from decades past. Bring dead characters, along with the retcons has become the norm. From the 1960's until the mid-1980, Marvel used to create interesting stories that were inspiring. Every since Secret Wars II, along with bring Jean Grey back from the dead, Marvel has been in a slump. For once, Marvel should suspend the idea of creating new characters. They should focus on their existing characters by moving them into other departments for further development, such as The Leader, The Goblyn Queen and Abomination as Spider-Man rogues. The company needs to mix things up...Do you agree?
    Jean Grey back from the dead made me buy x-men again, the lack of originality was killing her a second time
    Ommadon: “By summoning all the dark powers I will infest the spirit of man So that he uses his science and logic to destroy himself. Greed and avarice shall prevail, and those who do not hear my words shall pay the price. I'll teach man to use his machines, I'll show him what distorted science can give birth to. I'll teach him to fly like a fairy, and I'll give him the ultimate answer to all his science can ask. And the world will be free for my magic again.”

Spectacular Member

So you are saying that Marcel has no ideas because they bring back dead characters and to obviate to that they should stop creating new characters and focusing on existing ones?...

Maybe other franchising could be renewed in the same way...bring Darth Vader to LOTR, or Goku to Karate Kid.

Astonishing Member your_name_here's Avatar

No they haven’t ran out of ideas. Case in point the many books still being published now

Marvel not only brought back A-List characters from the dead. They even brought back some obscure characters such as Hulkling's Skrull grandmother. Who's next? Will Dorrek, Morat and Anelle return from the dead?

Astonishing Member

No. If any case theirr over reliance on classic characters is slowing them down

Writers of today are not as creative as those of the 60's, 70's or even 80's.

It would seem(IMO) that most of the new material that's being published by Marvel are repetition of previous stories from decades past. Bring dead characters, along with the retcons has become the norm. From the 1960's until the mid-1980, Marvel used to create interesting stories that were inspiring. Every since Secret Wars II, along with bring Jean Grey back from the dead, Marvel has been in a slump. For once, Marvel should suspend the idea of creating new characters. They should focus on their existing characters by moving them into other departments for further development, such as The Leader, The Goblyn Queen and Abomination as Spider-Man rogues. The company needs to mix things up...Do you agree?
    I certainly don't agree they should stop making new characters.

Not to sound woke or anything, but I think a lot of the new characters like Miles or Kamala or Shuri are able to potentially reach out to different demographics as marvel expands beyond just comics.

Incredible Member

It would seem(IMO) that most of the new material that's being published by Marvel are repetition of previous stories from decades past. Bringing back dead characters, along with the retcons has become the norm. From the 1960's until the mid-1980, Marvel used to create interesting stories that were inspiring. Every since Secret Wars II, along with bringing Jean Grey back from the dead, Marvel has been in a slump. For once, Marvel should suspend the idea of creating new characters. They should focus on their existing characters by moving them into other departments for further development, such as The Leader, The Goblyn Queen and Abomination as Spider-Man rogues. The company needs to mix things up...Do you agree?

I don't think Marvel is running out of ideas for stories and i don't think they should necessarily suspend creating new characters but i do think the editors should challenge these creators to take a long look at Marvel's already vast catalouge of characters before creating brand new ones for whatever story it is they're looking to tell....If they already do this than so be it but it sure seems like the the prefernce is to create new characters.

Astonishing Member

It would be great if Marvel stopped visiting alternate timelines, earths, or possible futures. Unfortunately this is a staple the company has visited often because they are too afraid to move forward themselves. To be fair DC is guilty of this as well.

Ultimate Member

Looking at the sheer volume of creator owned work that Marvel’s creators put out, to say they are less creative than previous generations is totally false. To even get a creative job at Marvel you must have published work in the first place.

However, what we see more and more these days is writers using previous concepts in new ways. Al Ewing has basically turned this into an art form. Truth is, creators nowadays are far more business savvy than years past. Guys like Hickman and the X-men creators are introducing a lot of new concepts and even guys like Donny Cates are bring in new stuff. But the truth is more of them will simply prefer to work with existing characters and use them in new ways because there’s little financial incentive to create new characters. A good number of writers these days can make a living off their creator owned work and always have an eye on their work outside the big two. There’s little reason to spend time creating characters that will not really benefit the creator directly in the long term.

The previous generation of writers created a ton of new characters but beyond acknowledgment on forums like these have little to show for it. I mean, Bob McLeod created one of Marvel’s most important super teams ever and the film makers couldn’t even spell his name right in the movies.

No, Marvel has not run out of ideas BUT

-They are too Many books,stretching out concepts to fast If that makes sense.
    -Too Much Formula, Events once upon a time were special now they have create an event every year. They are books created not necessary for love or to be creative but push something.
    -Every story has a beginning,middle and End except ongoing comics which are suppose to go on forever without ending