Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Just don't read the Batman books. I have been reading more than enough DC books that don't even acknowledge him that I forget this whole Batman envy people have. I mean you are making a good point of publishers need to tell stories without these heroes, but you obviously are not reading them, and no one else is, so that is why they rely on them.
    Lol I get that, and I do read other DC titles, but it seems hard to deny that the main focus right now is marketing Batman (outside of the comics too)- Joker War, Dark Knights Metal, Three Jokers, Punchline, the Gotham knights game, The Batman, Joker. Whereas I personally feel that most other characters have been pushed to the wayside. I think GL is a good example. Geoff Johns' run got massive readership. Same with Immortal Hulk (to a lesser degree). I'm hoping this may just be a result of the recent editorial shake up at DC but I'm personally feeling absolute Batman fatigue right now. And I know it would happen if Marvel did the same with Spider-Man. I will say they did try to give Superman some spotlight when Bendis went over to DC, but obviously that hasn't been as well received as the hoped.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    You are right, though, in that Marvel does not rely on one character, they at least have two: Event and New #1. Jokes aside, they are relying on Hickman (maybe) and Cates, and those two are a specific style.
    Haha Marvel do have way too many events, and they are mostly pointless. I disagree about Hickman seeing as he's only on the X titles (and only one ongoing at that). I do agree with Cates though. I don't get the love for him and I'm well underwhelmed by his Thor run right now. But you do have other people helming things - Al Ewing, Dan Slott, Jason Aaron, Kelly Thompson, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Chip Zdarsky, Gerry Duggan etc. It's overly white and male but I don't think there's too much of a reliance on Cates and Hickman personally! Cates just has his own little cosmic sandbox I guess.

Astonishing Member

I don’t think Marvel are necessarily out of ideas as they are out of easily implemented ideas (eg raging against certain teams bei BF elitist fails in light of the genre, raging against MegaCorps in light of Disney etc) that won’t utterly break from the illusion of change/world outside your window restraint

Astonishing Member

The stagnation comes from 2 parts first they don't give a dam about pushing their newer characters, half the issues of all new wolverine didnt get preview, and in Jane's as soon as she wasn't thor they said **** her, the second is a reliance on the pre 90's rosters. Their to reluctant to acknowledge people would like to see the newer characters in promote roles. This comes to gethere in stagnant storys hitting old plot points with the same character over and over again. Hell, despite saying dawn of x is unlike anything before its the same characters the've been using for years just arranged differently. You want this to get fix push the newer characters and fly without a safety net, unlike the classic they need/require new and crazy story ideas to work and reward experimenting.

Quote Originally Posted by Dthirds3 View Post
    The stagnation comes from 2 parts first they don't give a dam about pushing their newer characters, half the issues of all new wolverine didnt get preview, and in Jane's as soon as she wasn't thor they said **** her, the second is a reliance on the pre 90's rosters. Their to reluctant to acknowledge people would like to see the newer characters in promote roles. This comes to gethere in stagnant storys hitting old plot points with the same character over and over again. Hell, despite saying dawn of x is unlike anything before its the same characters the've been using for years just arranged differently. You want this to get fix push the newer characters and fly without a safety net, unlike the classic they need/require new and crazy story ideas to work and reward experimenting.
    Although I think their newer characters could definitely do with more pushing, I don't think it's as bad as what you're saying - Ms Marvel, Miles Morales, Gwenpool, Viv Vision, Jane Foster Thor, Sam Wilson Cap, and Riri Williams all had pretty big pushes from what I remember.

In the case of X-Men, I think what they're doing makes sense - Hickman said in an interview it's pointless creating new characters as there are so many that haven't been used well. We've had/are having spotlights on Greycrow, Glob, Goldballs, Hope, Cipher, Armour, Vulcan, Prodigy, Eyeboy, Monet, Magik, Rictor, Sage, Quentin Quite and Black Tom Cassidy. Just to name a few. Maybe they aren't all parts of big events but a lot of them are big parts of their respective books - and that could still get bigger as the stories go on. And to be fair, HoX/Pox/DoX is widely considered to be an interesting and creative premise for the X-Men, partly because it has does to older X characters.
    Last edited by Jack The Tripper; 09-14-2020 at 02:06 AM.

Astonishing Member

Marvel should follow the Japanese manga business model....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    They can't we have labor laws. Manga creator's are notorious underpayment and over worked. Hunter x hunters creator's sayed take away the time for sleep eat and bathroom hes only treated like a persion 6 hours a week. Not to mention they don't have colorist and are part of the congloment that runs ever printing company in Japan keeping the cost down. They can't even attempt it unless Dimond becomes accualy decent, we get more distributors and printers to compete with them, and they rush out shows for every comic...

Quote Originally Posted by Darthfury78 View Post
    There was another thread saying that should happen. It got pretty badly decimated about how terrible of an idea that is.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    There was another thread saying that should happen. It got pretty badly decimated about how terrible of an idea that is.
    I don't think it got decimated, but it was obvious that there are more hurdles than people would like to admit.