Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Yet there are all kinds of crimes committed in the midwest and West Coast yet no hero lifts a finger to stop it.
    It all goes back to the same thing: What kind of story do writers want to tell and readers want to read? Of course Monica won't become Marvel's premier hero by stopping thousands of acts of crime across the country in under two hours every day. No one is buying that comic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Overlord View Post
    Has Trapster had enough wins to justify him becoming a supervillain in the first place? What does pasting Spidey arms to another guy actually accomplish? Does he have an actual reason why he is trying to defeat Mr. Fanastic? What are Trapster's goals? If its just to become rich, why wouldn't he try to patent his glue rather then become a supervillain? Trapster does not work as a character, because his motives make no sense.
    Just because someone invents something doesn't mean they will automatically become rich.

This could work for any number of villains.

Look at Shocker. Invents these great gloves that cause things to vibrate and fall apart. Would have been great to sell to the military. I mean he did want to be rich after all. he could have made millions. what does he do? Puts on a bad costume and goes and tries to rob a bank. I mean if he just grabbed what he could carry thats what a few thousand? I mean creating the gloves cost more then that.

And all of these villains who want to be rich yet they spend hundreds of thousands of bucks on a super advanced hideout with death rays and all that crap. here is an idea stupid. Take some of your anti grav flying car money and invest in a 401k or some ****!.

I get the ones who just want to prove how smart they are. Like Wizard who in his first appearance wanted to prove he is better then The Human Torch and then in The Fantastic Four issues better then Reed. Or Green Goblin who wanted to be king of the underworld. Thats an ego thing.

But these guys who invent amazing high tech weapons just to rob a bank and get rich. Dumb as Hell. And a little boring after a time.

Shocker's criminal record makes it nigh impossible for him to make money off his inventions. He actually created the vibro-blasters while in prison. His Ultimate counterpart was a legitimate inventor before turning to a life of crime due to Roxxon screwing him over.
    Last edited by Agent Z; 11-29-2020 at 10:45 PM.

When I read so long ago the story of Kang who wanted to ressurect his “dead wife”, after crying so much about his lost love and eventually when faced between recovering his wife and killing the avengers, he chose the latter… well, yes I thought: “Is that dumb?”
    I wonder if it’s an editorial choice to consider that villains can’t help but committing evil like a dog can’t help going after meat…

I always wondered that. Like take a Greyhound to Gary Indiana and go nuts. I mean I doubt any heroes are going to come stop you.
    At the beginning of all villains, there’s a deep narcissistic wound. They want to be someone, to matter (and well, yes, to be respected)… You can hardly achieve that by being the King of… Gary Indiana.
    In a way, villains are the entrepreneurs of comics, they always imagine something to improve their situation… and the heroes seem to exist just to oppose them.
    “Strength is the lot of but a few privileged men; but austere perseverance, harsh and continuous, may be employed by the smallest of us and rarely fails of its purpose, for its silent power grows irresistibly greater with time.” Goethe

Boisterously Confused

The Living Laser's initial plan was to impress the girl he was stalking into liking him by robbing banks, but he dropped that on first laying eyes on The Wasp, and shifted to impressing The Wasp into liking him by murdering her boyfriend and teammates.