Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
I Mean,it's(wrestling) part of Olympics and a serious competition. But, to each their own.

Bare in mind, i don't actually think suit is bad or good. For me, i want the character when he needs to be taken serious should be. That's the purpose.Shorts, powerlifters gear style.. Etc would be perfect for that. In general, I find the strongman suit rather fitting like say joker's costume or dick grayson's acrobat costume. If you look at dc as a giant circus then naturally superman would be the strongman. Heck! I even made a small team based on old cover with superman in it and old pulp flavours.

The greatest show on earth(circus theme)

The Fantastic Tex thompson - the ringmaster
The Astonishing Zatara - the magician
The Invincible Superman - the strongman
The Unerring Vigilante- the marksman/knife thrower
The Hilarious Creeper - the clown/jester
The Athletic Nightwing and Flamebird - the acrobats/trapeze artists.
The Ever-dominant Animal man - the animal tamer
The Fantabulous Fire - fire breather
The Eternal Swampthing - "freak"

One is nano tech. For a guy that has underlying cynical relationship with automation, technology and is about human physicality . It fails to capture any nuances. It would have been better if the armour was more inspired by gladiators. Spacesuit from man of steel doesn't feel like it even has belt. Strongman look is thematic.The guy is meant to show you what real strength is supposed to be. To act to protect those weaker than you and those that are in need(not the complacent) is true strength.why do i want it to be connected to real world athletics? Well, that generally helps people connect the dots easily and more at a subconscious level.

The s thing makes my eyes roll. It's grandiose explanation for giving the character more importance than it deserves . Its forced and unearned the way its done. There is a big symbolism to luffy's strawhat. But what oda never does is, have strawhat's meaning be declared first hand.The actions and story should dictate the meaning of s. It can be anything freedom, truth, justice or hope. Moreover, It takes away agency from superman gives it to something else. That's why i don't like the sun explanation much as well. Anything, that takesaway the agency from clark and gives it to the world is bad.

They do. We can have that as well. I do believe the jeans and tshirt look worked wayyy better than the actual new52 suit. But, it doesn't connect superman to anyform of physicality. Working class men have their own uniforms and gears they change into, Where they tear of the layer of mundanity and do labour that contributes to the society. I mean working class people like construction worker, firemen,... Etc don't exactly wear casuals to go do those kind of jobs.Moreover, the powerlifters generally wear tshirts as well.Powerlifters Usually have bigger belts that strap in though.
Frankly, the circus and circus strongman thing isn't a part of American culture like it was 80 years ago. If Superman is to be relevant, I'd downplay the circus thematic and emphasize the parts that are still relevant, like the social justice warrior aspect. No one thinks "Gee whiz, those trunks make you look awfully strong!" anymore. The costume should be updated a little every couple decades or so.