View Poll Results: Is superman being a dork essential to you?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i love that the character is humble

20 52.63%
  • No, the character isn't meant to be a dork

4 10.53%
  • I don't believe he is a dork in the first place

14 36.84%
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As far as my perspective Superman is perfectly as successful with making his costume work for him in-spite of how it may seem hokey to most, just like Batman does.
    Not really, batman suit has evolved and changed. Superman's suit hasn't. I don't believe it needs to. But, the way it's presented as either "kryptonian fashion" or "mom made dorky suit" just trivialises the meaning of the suit. There is that whole episode in one punch man where they explain his suit. It's kinda awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Not really, batman suit has evolved and changed. Superman's suit hasn't. I don't believe it needs to. But, the way it's presented as either "kryptonian fashion" or "mom made dorky suit" just trivialises the meaning of the suit. There is that whole episode in one punch man where they explain his suit. It's kinda awesome.
    They have changed Superman's suit, and just like with Batman they went back to the classic version eventually for one reason or another.

The only character who has seemed to avoid this has been Wonder Woman.

BANNED

They have changed Superman's suit, and just like with Batman they went back to the classic version eventually for one reason or another.

Well, because WW's costume is inspired by American woman is deemed too stupid by a lot of people in DC.

Not really, only his s has changed.He basically wears the strongman suit with cape. New52 and dceu was the only time it didn't. They went for the armor look or space suit look.Ofcourse, there was the whole other looks they went for preflashpoint continuity with things like electric blue. Those weren't changes to the original. But, a new look and costume entirely . Batman's suit has massive changes. It's just because of his colour scheme its really not noticeable. Moreover, superman's costume has more meaning as he started the whole superhero revolution along with phantom.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-07-2020 at 09:00 AM.

BANNED

Superman is an idiot, the superman suit for example, is supposed to represent El's house, but what does El's house have to do with superman, I mean, superman has never explored his origin, he has never accepted his role as leader of El's house, then why is he wearing the suit.

Not really, only his s has changed.He basically wears the strongman suit with cape. New52 and dceu was the only time it didn't. They went for the armor look or space suit look.Ofcourse, there was the whole other looks they went for preflashpoint continuity with things like electric blue. Those weren't changes to the original. But, a new look and costume entirely . Batman's suit has massive changes. It's just because of his colour scheme its really not noticeable. Moreover, superman's costume has more meaning as he started the whole superhero revolution along with phantom.
    Considering all the technical and nitty gritty elements of Superman's suit that have been discussed in the past, I disagree. He's had several redesigns with the same basic theme like Batman has.

Considering all the technical and nitty gritty elements of Superman's suit that have been discussed in the past, I disagree. He's had several redesigns with the same basic theme like Batman has.

See, all strongman suits with varying degrees of light and dark primary colours.There seems to be some mistake with first suit. Superman wore the red gladiator boots,not blue. Which changed into red boots entirely. The s is the only notable change to the character's costume.

See, all strongman suits with varying degrees of light and dark primary colours.There seems to be some mistake with first suit. Superman wore the red gladiator boots,not blue. Which changed into red boots entirely. The s is the only notable change to the character's costume.
    I don't see how this disproves my point.

I don't see how this disproves my point.
    It's basically the same costume just with different boots and s symbol from the action comics #1. Now, they have added the cufflinks which is wierd.

It's basically the same costume just with different boots and s symbol from the action comics #1. Now, they have added the cufflinks which is wierd.
    I think there’s more subtle design changes than just that, and that’s not getting into the post-2011 costumes.

I think there’s more subtle design changes than just that, and that’s not getting into the post-2011 costumes.
    Not really, that's just the artstyle differences of artists. The costume design is the basically same. Even in the black and white one. There is a a reason why tampering with superman costume is met with reluctance from the fandom. It looks damn good. It has a real world historical roots and significance. But, writers just don't explore that. They basically just play it of with some trivial explanation. Superman base power is strength.So,it's a given the guy wears the suit.

BANNED

Not really, that's just the artstyle differences of artists. The costume design is the basically same. Even in the black and white one. There is a a reason why tampering with superman costume is met with reluctance from the fandom. It looks damn good. It has a real world historical roots and significance. But, writers just don't explore that. They basically just play it of with some trivial explanation. Superman base power is strength.So,it's a given the guy wears the suit.
    I would take the new 52 suit as a base (but a simpler design), nanotechnology that adapts to thoughts (suits only), allowing you to go from clark to superman with a thought, the suit would not be Kryptonian or a gift from mom, it would be a suit created by clark

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    I would take the new 52 suit as a base (but a simpler design), nanotechnology that adapts to thoughts (suits only), allowing you to go from clark to superman with a thought, the suit would not be Kryptonian or a gift from mom, it would be a suit created by clark
    superman was the guy smashing technology and machines be it cars, robots... Etc from day 1.There is an inherent cynical acceptance that can be reluctant at times by the character towards the technological advances. Especially, regarding automation. Its very similar to the Japanese perspective on nuclear energy . Its inevitable. Superman as a character is about human physicality. American scifi generally portray technology as means to stop a catastrophe from happening for example, iron man or batman. Superman's brand of scifi stories generally would be cynical of that. So, superman might allie with a nano tech armour .Clark would just tear it off and rely on his physical strength at the end of the day to survive.

I think different artists' take on it is equally as valid. Pretty much every Superhero has a base design that gets slightly tweaked or modified over time while still keeping the heroes' basic core design the same.

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    Superman is an idiot, the superman suit for example, is supposed to represent El's house, but what does El's house have to do with superman, I mean, superman has never explored his origin, he has never accepted his role as leader of El's house, then why is he wearing the suit.
    What? The Els are his birth family and the “S” crest stands for “Superman” just as much as it does “hope”. “Superman has never exploded his origin” what are you talking about? All of the standalone Superman stories we’ve gotten lately have been about Superman learning his origins and coming to terms with them. American Alien, Year One, Smashes the Klan, they’re all stories about him embracing his Kryptonian past and using it to build the Superman persona.