View Poll Results: Is superman being a dork essential to you?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i love that the character is humble

20 52.63%
  • No, the character isn't meant to be a dork

4 10.53%
  • I don't believe he is a dork in the first place

14 36.84%
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    In real time Superman would be dead of old age. I have no interest in that.
    Woould he though? Superman ages slower than humans remember. If anything he should still look like he is in his 20s

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Woould he though? Superman ages slower than humans remember. If anything he should still look like he is in his 20s
    Always a dumb retcon.

Clark went to grade school with Lana and Pete and grew up right along with them. Older Earth-2/Kingdom Come Superman has grey hair. Superman aging like a Human is pretty mandatory for the character in my opinion and been pretty long established. I THINK it was morrison who came up with the 'immortal Superman' concept and it never really fit.

Like much of what Morrison does...

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Always a dumb retcon.

Clark went to grade school with Lana and Pete and grew up right along with them. Older Earth-2/Kingdom Come Superman has grey hair. Superman aging like a Human is pretty mandatory for the character in my opinion and been pretty long established. I THINK it was morrison who came up with the 'immortal Superman' concept and it never really fit.

He doesn't have to be immortal but I do think that he should age slower due to yellow sun exposure.

He doesn't have to be immortal but I do think that he should age slower due to yellow sun exposure.
    Not a fan. The people he went to school with would see he didn't age, he'd have to change jobs every decade or so... Before long Lois would be in her 40's or 50's dating a 20 year old looking guy... The whole secret identity falls completely apart and anything that actively undercuts his civilian life and connection to humanity is terrible. A lot gets lost and nothing is actually gained.

BANNED

Not a fan. The people he went to school with would see he didn't age, he'd have to change jobs every decade or so... Before long Lois would be in her 40's or 50's dating a 20 year old looking guy... The whole secret identity falls completely apart and anything that actively undercuts his civilian life and connection to humanity is terrible. A lot gets lost and nothing is actually gained.
    About dating a 20 year old looking guy, I think you forget, but in Earth-2 Superman (The One Who Die in Infinite Crisis) might be looking old, but that's because of his disguise power. He made himself look older by remaking his face to mimick the appearance of 40-50 years old guy, coloring his temple to grey and hunch his back even more. I believe that's what the writers will do about his age if they made him age slower like in Unchained. About his job, I think the choice would be like in Kingdom Come or Beyond where Superman becomes a farmer in rural kansas or 100% Superman and forego his humanity to become Superman.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Always a dumb retcon.

I don't know if it was Morrison, or at least he wasn't the first to at least float the idea around. There was Claremont's rejected idea that Earth-2 Superman stopped aging when he was in his 30s and was just wearing make-up, and would resume things as normal post-COIE if he was the only Superman. Alan Moore wrote Supreme as being immortal and being active in both the Golden Age and modern age. His Golden Age love interest was based on Lana, while Diana Dane was based on Lois in the present. If we have to have a shared Earth that includes the JSA, this approach to Superman wouldn't bother me too much if it allowed him to be active back then. I don't think not having Lana and (especially) Pete in the modern age would be any great loss.

If not this specific idea, I think most of what Morrison does for Superman fits better than what we get otherwise the majority of the time.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    I don't know if it was Morrison, or at least he wasn't the first to at least float the idea around. There was Claremont's rejected idea that Earth-2 Superman stopped aging when he was in his 30s and was just wearing make-up, and would resume things as normal post-COIE if he was the only Superman. Alan Moore wrote Supreme as being immortal and being active in both the Golden Age and modern age. His Golden Age love interest was based on Lana, while Diana Dane was based on Lois in the present. If we have to have a shared Earth that includes the JSA, this approach to Superman wouldn't bother me too much if it allowed him to be active back then. I don't think not having Lana and (especially) Pete in the modern age would be any great loss.

If not this specific idea, I think most of what Morrison does for Superman fits better than what we get otherwise the majority of the time.
    You get it right, it is Claremont that is thinking that idea and later Johns will use that explanation for his Infinite Crisis why Earth-2 Superman is making himself older and weaker. It's because he loves Lana so much that he want to make himself older like his wife is.

Depends, how early back does his slow aging go publishing wise? Because the more recent the idea he ages slower than us, the less likely he is to be around or young. If comics had originally gone in real time, he could have visibly aged long before that idea could take root.

And even if he didn't age, the character would be radically different now, with Lois, Jimmy, Perry, Lex, and many others long gone, and he would have to go through more and more hoops to have a secret ID if he has to hide his eternal youth.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Depends, how early back does his slow aging go publishing wise? Because the more recent the idea he ages slower than us, the less likely he is to be around or young. If comics had originally gone in real time, he could have visibly aged long before that idea could take root.

And even if he didn't age, the character would be radically different now, with Lois, Jimmy, Perry, Lex, and many others long gone, and he would have to go through more and more hoops to have a secret ID if he has to hide his eternal youth.
    Actually, we don't know. original superman was just like an ant, grasshopper,... Etc. He was a creatureman(especially, arthropods) . There are spores found that have been alive for millions of years. Ofcourse, clark had married lois in an old comicsstrip though.

There would still be people around. He can still get to meet new people and have them as cast. Honestly, i wouldn't mind seeing a take like that.We might get a superman in different context. As for secret id, it hasn't worked since ages in realistic fashion . So it's not a big deal. I just want the id to work, firstly . They could just have clark forge fake documents and stuff like that. Get a new name.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-18-2020 at 02:51 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Actually, we don't know. original superman was just like an ant, grasshopper,... Etc. He was a creatureman(especially, arthropods) . There are spores found that have been alive for millions of years. Ofcourse, clark had married lois in an old comicsstrip though.

There would still be people around. He can still get to meet new people and have them as cast. Honestly, i wouldn't mind seeing a take like that.We might get a superman in different context. As for secret id, it hasn't worked since ages in realistic fashion . So it's not a big deal. I just want the id to work, firstly . They could just have clark forge fake documents and stuff like that. Get a new name.
    That used to be ok, but with technology being what it is things like that are much harder too get away with today. He gets on a government list people are going to pay attention when someone who looks identical appears again and again and forget high profile jobs like reporting.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post

Eh, I'm not interested in getting a new supporting cast every generation.

It just doesn't interest me.

Spectacular Member

If you're talking about a "golly gee aww shucks" Superman running around rescuing cats out trees with his red underwear ,NO, I want no part of that lol.

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    If you're talking about a "golly gee aww shucks" Superman running around rescuing cats out trees with his red underwear ,NO, I want no part of that lol.
    Precisely, that's what i am talking about. The "aw! Shucks!" superman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by objectivewatcher2013 View Post
    Eh, but that's Superman at it's best. Superman helping cats out of trees with his red trunk is cooler than Superman singing Darkseid a Lullaby of Multiverse. Wait, I give a wrong example is it?

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Eh, but that's Superman at it's best. Superman helping cats out of trees with his red trunk is cooler than Superman singing Darkseid a Lullaby of Multiverse. Wait, I give a wrong example is it?
    Yeah! Getting cats out of tree can be cool. when he isn't smashing cars of women molesters or scaring the crap out of corrupt senators or shooting and catching bullets of jackasses who sell guns to kids.You know zorro style swashbuckling debonair.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-18-2020 at 03:54 AM.