View Poll Results: Is superman being a dork essential to you?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i love that the character is humble

    20 52.63%
  • No, the character isn't meant to be a dork

    4 10.53%
  • I don't believe he is a dork in the first place

    14 36.84%
Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 93
  1. #1
    Extraordinary Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,385

    Default Is superman being a dork(if you believe him to be) essential to you?

    I have seen many who like that kind of portrayal and many that don't. What's the reason for the preference?

    For me, superman is kinda of a dork. Sometimes it's done in a way that's good like in superman for all seasons or all star.But,more than not its insufferable. Especially when, "my mom made the suit" thing is taken to the extreme. The suit wasn't meant to make you feel "awe! How nice and cute" nor "geez! What a dork" .Sure enough, a hero's appearance shouldn't matter. That should be the fundamental basis. But, this(i wear red underwear outside my pants) is kinda of basically used to trivialise the character itself and make fun of it. What i am saying is, the strongman suit should be respected and so the character. If the explanation is something that trivialises the character then it's better left not being explained at all.

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    5,652

    Default

    I don’t see “humble” and “dork” as the same, but I voted yes. However there’s a caveat:

    Clark is absolutely a dork. Some of that is just him playing up his “disguise” obviously.

    However:

    Some of it is indeed just a part of who he is. That’s part of the appeal of Superman: Beneath this awkward, shy, introverted, wallflower that no one would ever give a second glance in the street, is the greatest hero Earth has ever had. It’s a nerd power fantasy in the same way that Batman and Spider-Man are.

    But Superman himself is not a dork. He’s cool in a way that we all wish we could be, our “best selves” personified. That’s not to say flawless or that he doesn’t **** up or fail now and then, but I prefer Clark as the window into Superman’s humanity. That’s what he’s meant to be used for after all.

  3. #3
    Extraordinary Member dietrich's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,977

    Default

    Is he a dork? That's just an act to distance Clark Kent from the Superman persona. Clark isn't a dork. He's from Kansas but that doesn't equal Dork. he has certain values yes but I've never understood him to be a dork

  4. #4
    Extraordinary Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I don’t see “humble” and “dork” as the same, but I voted yes. However there’s a caveat:

    Clark is absolutely a dork. Some of that is just him playing up his “disguise” obviously.

    However:

    Some of it is indeed just a part of who he is. That’s part of the appeal of Superman: Beneath this awkward, shy, introverted, wallflower that no one would ever give a second glance in the street, is the greatest hero Earth has ever had. It’s a nerd power fantasy in the same way that Batman and Spider-Man are.

    But Superman himself is not a dork. He’s cool in a way that we all wish we could be, our “best selves” personified. That’s not to say flawless or that he doesn’t **** up or fail now and then, but I prefer Clark as the window into Superman’s humanity. That’s what he’s meant to be used for after all.
    That yes, was meant for people who see the humility in clark through his general dork like behaviour. Essentially for people who don't believe it's done badly. Sure, everyone has that dorkish or goofy side to them. Even, bruce wayne can be that sometimes. The guy eats burger with forks and knife. I wasn't really talking about that though.From my readings, superman the champion generally has the personality of zorro. He is smiling, dashing Debonair. Clark's persona is entirely based on harold Lloyd. He can be as dork like as he wants.
    Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    Is he a dork? That's just an act to distance Clark Kent from the Superman persona. Clark isn't a dork. He's from Kansas but that doesn't equal Dork. he has certain values yes but I've never understood him to be a dork
    Certain characterisations do lead to this kinda thing happening.

    The kids perfectly describe what this does.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-07-2020 at 02:09 AM.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member Coal Tiger's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2,157

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That yes, was meant for people who see the humility in clark through his general dork like behaviour. Essentially for people who don't believe it's done badly. Sure, everyone has that dorkish or goofy side to them. Even, bruce wayne can be that sometimes. The guy eats burger with forks and knife. I wasn't really talking about that though.From my readings, superman the champion generally has the personality of zorro. He is smiling, dashing Debonair. Clark's persona is entirely based on harold Lloyd. He can be as dork like as he wants.


    Certain characterisations do lead to this kinda thing happening.

    The kids perfectly describe what this does.
    Yeah that kid with the hat is an asshole. It’s always those sullen teenagers who don’t get Superman.

  6. #6
    Extraordinary Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Yeah that kid with the hat is an asshole. It’s always those sullen teenagers who don’t get Superman.
    It's a valid opinion. If i don't like red, then i don't like red. I think, siegel and shuster superman's advice would have been this.

  7. #7
    Astonishing Member Riv86672's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2019
    Posts
    3,131

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Yeah that kid with the hat is an asshole. It’s always those sullen teenagers who don’t get Superman.
    ^^^who sometimes grow up to be sullen adults.

    But yeah, Clark is kinda dorky, nothing wrong w. that.
    Hell, I’M kinda dorky, and there’s nothing wrong w. that. I would hazard a guess everyone on this site can list dork on their job application. There’s no stigma to the term.

  8. #8
    Astonishing Member superduperman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Metropolis USA
    Posts
    4,856

    Default

    He doesn't necessarily have to be a "dork" but his disguise does have to be distinct enough from Superman that people don't equate the two. "Superman with glasses on" isn't much in the way of a disguise. Keeping his inner circle small helps. But if the people at the Planet know both Clark and Superman, then Clark needs something to make him seem different from Superman in that they both have the same build and facial structure. The guy who wrote the first Superman article just happens to look like him is a bit suspicious. I think Birthright kind handled it the right way in that he wasn't a "dork" so much as he just kept people at arms length and wouldn't let people get to know him.
    WAKANDA FOREVER! Chadwick Boseman 1976-2020 BLM

  9. #9

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    He doesn't necessarily have to be a "dork" but his disguise does have to be distinct enough from Superman that people don't equate the two. "Superman with glasses on" isn't much in the way of a disguise. Keeping his inner circle small helps. But if the people at the Planet know both Clark and Superman, then Clark needs something to make him seem different from Superman in that they both have the same build and facial structure. The guy who wrote the first Superman article just happens to look like him is a bit suspicious. I think Birthright kind handled it the right way in that he wasn't a "dork" so much as he just kept people at arms length and wouldn't let people get to know him.
    All-Star Superman's Clark Kent made the most sense to me. He wasn't so much pretending to be a dork, but his clumsy antics were the result of him subtly manipulating the situation to save lives or prevent accidents without having to go full superhero all the time. So he ended up seeming distracted, absent minded and awkward as a result.

    From at least Silver Age Kal-EL's point of view, I think he'd see most people the way we see puppies and kittens. They are so harmless and ignorant for the most part that even their most aggressive behavior is cute and adorable which is probably why he likes people so much. I imagine our pets think we are woefully unprepared for the world and need to be looked after which is probably what most people think of Clark.

  10. #10
    Extraordinary Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,385

    Default

    I wasn't talking about clark kent disguise. I should have made that clear in the op. I thought, i did. I was essentially talking about Superman. The real deal.

  11. #11
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    55,282

    Default

    I don't think there's anything wrong with being a dork .

  12. #12
    Extraordinary Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I don't think there's anything wrong with being a dork .
    There is if the character's ideals and conviction is seen as a joke.Moreover, this is'nt clark kent glasses persona. Its freaking Superman.His ideals should be grounded firmly to reality. It should never feel out of touch.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-07-2020 at 08:10 AM.

  13. #13
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    55,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    There is if the character's ideals and conviction is seen as a joke.
    As long as they act seriously when it comes to said ideals and convictions, I don't see an issue.

  14. #14
    Extraordinary Member manwhohaseverything's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    5,385

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    As long as they act seriously when it comes to said ideals and convictions, I don't see an issue.
    Sure, but i do believe that suit has more of a legacy than "my mom made me a dorky suit". It should be treated better. And i don't mean some stupid grandiose "s is kryptonIan symbol of hope" thing. If one piece can make you respect this guy. Superman books should be able to do it.

  15. #15
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    55,282

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Sure, but i do believe that suit has more of a legacy than "my mom made me a dorky suit". It should be treated better. And i don't mean some stupid grandiose "s is kryptonIan symbol of hope" thing. If one piece can make you respect this guy. Superman books should be able to do it.
    As far as my perspective Superman is perfectly as successful with making his costume work for him in-spite of how it may seem hokey to most, just like Batman does.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •