View Poll Results: Is superman being a dork essential to you?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i love that the character is humble

20 52.63%
  • No, the character isn't meant to be a dork

4 10.53%
  • I don't believe he is a dork in the first place

14 36.84%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    superman was the guy smashing technology and machines be it cars, robots... Etc from day 1.There is an inherent cynical acceptance that can be reluctant at times by the character towards the technological advances. Especially, regarding automation. Its very similar to the Japanese perspective on nuclear energy . Its inevitable. Superman as a character is about human physicality. American scifi generally portray technology as means to stop a catastrophe from happening for example, iron man or batman. Superman's brand of scifi stories generally would be cynical of that. So, superman might allie with a nano tech armour .Clark would just tear it off and rely on his physical strength at the end of the day to survive.
    I'm not talking about an armor, just a suit (or defense) that instead of fabric is nanotechnological, if it were up to me the suit would create it Clark, but if instead of creating it, we have a young clark in warworld with a suit of gladiator who, when he escaped, decides to adapt the suit, it is the same to me, as long as the suit is Clark's thing.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    What? The Els are his birth family and the “S” crest stands for “Superman” just as much as it does “hope”. “Superman has never exploded his origin” what are you talking about? All of the standalone Superman stories we’ve gotten lately have been about Superman learning his origins and coming to terms with them. American Alien, Year One, Smashes the Klan, they’re all stories about him embracing his Kryptonian past and using it to build the Superman persona.
    as soon as he discovers his origin, he forgets, he does not act as leader of the house of EL, it is zod who creates new krypton, his connection with krupton is null, to the point that if he were a new character, most of his readers would not They'd know it's Krypton

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    as soon as he discovers his origin, he forgets, he does not act as leader of the house of EL, it is zod who creates new krypton, his connection with krupton is null, to the point that if he were a new character, most of his readers would not They'd know it's Krypton
    No he doesn’t. He’s got an entire Fortress full of Kryptonian artifacts. What does “act like the leader of House El” even mean? Until Kara shows up Kal is the only El left, there’s not exactly a “House” left. “His connection with Krypton is null” what are you basing this on exactly?

Are dorks still an actual thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Stanlos View Post
    Are dorks still an actual thing?
    Whales sure as hell hope so.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    I'm not talking about an armor, just a suit (or defense) that instead of fabric is nanotechnological, if it were up to me the suit would create it Clark, but if instead of creating it, we have a young clark in warworld with a suit of gladiator who, when he escaped, decides to adapt the suit, it is the same to me, as long as the suit is Clark's thing.
    Having gladiator suit is different though. Superman is a working class hero who was inspired by gladiators as well. So, a suit reminiscent of the original superman suit that has the gladiator trappings could work.But, it needs to thematically fit the character.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    That yes, was meant for people who see the humility in clark through his general dork like behaviour. Essentially for people who don't believe it's done badly. Sure, everyone has that dorkish or goofy side to them. Even, bruce wayne can be that sometimes. The guy eats burger with forks and knife. I wasn't really talking about that though.From my readings, superman the champion generally has the personality of zorro. He is smiling, dashing Debonair. Clark's persona is entirely based on harold Lloyd. He can be as dork like as he wants.

Certain characterisations do lead to this kinda thing happening.

The kids perfectly describe what this does.
    It's ironic but when Batman has moments like that fans hold it up as the best examples of what Batman should be. like that Ace moment from animated series.

These are just examples of Superman being heroic and human not dorky. That kid knows nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    That kid knows nothing.
    This is why children should be seen and not heard.

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    It's ironic but when Batman has moments like that fans hold it up as the best examples of what Batman should be. like that Ace moment from animated series.

These are just examples of Superman being heroic and human not dorky. That kid knows nothing.
    Because batman has personality of a shtick most of the time.So any emotion is seen as joyous rarity . Even then Bruce's moments are done differently with different connotation for example the ace moment . I don't particularly find a person who talks down to people, really that much of a hero. It is paternalism to be blunt. Especially, when it's presented like the way it's done here with superman . There is a difference between that and compassionate. Moreover, the way he does it makes him feels entirely out of touch. So a dork.

This is compassion for me.

Superman talking down to even kids is nonsensical portrayal. Superman's reaction in dcau isn't compassion. That's not a human reaction to kid doing something so stupid. I would be pissed, if i really cared. And No, moral platitudes would be last thing coming out of my mouth.Superman is'nt a spacedad. He is a champion. He should be one of us,Not a skyfather looking down.

The above has a working class orphan with nothing(superman) helping out another in his position and not in a condescending way. The second has helping out a boxer down on his luck by being a friend and fellow boxing enthusiast who actually gives a damn about the sport.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-08-2020 at 02:21 AM.

Here @3:30, This feels like more an instance of superman showing real compassion. Because the dude cares genuinely. It's empathy directing his action not self righteous moral fakery.I hate it when they write superman as fake.There is a huge difference between the two.
    "I guess, that boy is just a sucker for hard luck cases"
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-08-2020 at 03:38 AM.

BANNED

No he doesn’t. He’s got an entire Fortress full of Kryptonian artifacts. What does “act like the leader of House El” even mean? Until Kara shows up Kal is the only El left, there’s not exactly a “House” left. “His connection with Krypton is null” what are you basing this on exactly?
    Superman doesn't even know what he has in the fortress, he doesn't use the fortress, more than a fortress it looks like a storage room, Superman's relationship with Supergirl is from the typical family that you only see at Christmas, the rest of the year you don't even know it exists. but let's say you're right, now he has supergirl, superboy (clone and son) lois, let's see if he acts as head of EL's house, if he tries to create new krypton, or leaves that job to a space nazi.

I'd just get rid of the red underwear. Problem solved.

I don't know why everyone bends over backwards for this one article of clothing.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Superman isn't a dork. He'd be eccentric because of his unique life experience and his super senses, but he wouldn't be a dork.

The Reborn suit was so perfect... Nothing against the trunks, but that was no need to go back to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I'd just get rid of the red underwear. Problem solved.

I don't know why everyone bends over backwards for this one article of clothing.
    It's not that easy. Superman will never have something as iconic or as well known as that strongman suit. Go to the remotest part of the world and ask "who superman is". You will get the answer "the guy that wears the underwear on the outside with a big s on his chest" . Everything will always pale in comparison. It created the whole genre. Even batman is modelled after the look.

Granted, i do believe these guys do bend over backwards to make it feel tangible. Their idea was to make superman the dork that wears wierd outfit. So people won't feel wierd why the guy wears it. What these guys should have done is follow what sam raimi did.

Use real world history and things like wrestling, the strongman competition, bodybuilding ... Etc to make the character tangible.It matters less how authentic it is. It is the intent that mattrs.Give it a tangible real world history and legacy to it. Why?to Make people respect the suit itself . Because the suit will always be well known. You will never change that.
    Nobody says 'what a goofy outfit' when a wrestler wears the skintight suit. Do they?
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-09-2020 at 12:03 AM.