View Poll Results: Is superman being a dork essential to you?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, i love that the character is humble

20 52.63%
  • No, the character isn't meant to be a dork

4 10.53%
  • I don't believe he is a dork in the first place

14 36.84%
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I Mean,it's(wrestling) part of Olympics and a serious competition. But, to each their own.

Bare in mind, i don't actually think suit is bad or good. For me, i want the character when he needs to be taken serious should be. That's the purpose.Shorts, powerlifters gear style.. Etc would be perfect for that. In general, I find the strongman suit rather fitting like say joker's costume or dick grayson's acrobat costume. If you look at dc as a giant circus then naturally superman would be the strongman. Heck! I even made a small team based on old cover with superman in it and old pulp flavours.

The greatest show on earth(circus theme)

The Fantastic Tex thompson - the ringmaster
    The Astonishing Zatara - the magician
    The Invincible Superman - the strongman
    The Unerring Vigilante- the marksman/knife thrower
    The Hilarious Creeper - the clown/jester
    The Athletic Nightwing and Flamebird - the acrobats/trapeze artists.
    The Ever-dominant Animal man - the animal tamer
    The Fantabulous Fire - fire breather
    The Eternal Swampthing - "freak"

One is nano tech. For a guy that has underlying cynical relationship with automation, technology and is about human physicality . It fails to capture any nuances. It would have been better if the armour was more inspired by gladiators. Spacesuit from man of steel doesn't feel like it even has belt. Strongman look is thematic.The guy is meant to show you what real strength is supposed to be. To act to protect those weaker than you and those that are in need(not the complacent) is true strength.why do i want it to be connected to real world athletics? Well, that generally helps people connect the dots easily and more at a subconscious level.

The s thing makes my eyes roll. It's grandiose explanation for giving the character more importance than it deserves . Its forced and unearned the way its done. There is a big symbolism to luffy's strawhat. But what oda never does is, have strawhat's meaning be declared first hand.The actions and story should dictate the meaning of s. It can be anything freedom, truth, justice or hope. Moreover, It takes away agency from superman gives it to something else. That's why i don't like the sun explanation much as well. Anything, that takesaway the agency from clark and gives it to the world is bad.

They do. We can have that as well. I do believe the jeans and tshirt look worked wayyy better than the actual new52 suit. But, it doesn't connect superman to anyform of physicality. Working class men have their own uniforms and gears they change into, Where they tear of the layer of mundanity and do labour that contributes to the society. I mean working class people like construction worker, firemen,... Etc don't exactly wear casuals to go do those kind of jobs.Moreover, the powerlifters generally wear tshirts as well.Powerlifters Usually have bigger belts that strap in though.
    Frankly, the circus and circus strongman thing isn't a part of American culture like it was 80 years ago. If Superman is to be relevant, I'd downplay the circus thematic and emphasize the parts that are still relevant, like the social justice warrior aspect. No one thinks "Gee whiz, those trunks make you look awfully strong!" anymore. The costume should be updated a little every couple decades or so.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Frankly, the circus and circus strongman thing isn't a part of American culture like it was 80 years ago. If Superman is to be relevant, I'd downplay the circus thematic and emphasize the parts that are still relevant, like the social justice warrior aspect. No one thinks "Gee whiz, those trunks make you look awfully strong!" anymore. The costume should be updated a little every couple decades or so.
    Sure, but you can have period pieces. Superman needs to have more zorro-esque feel and moments,though. That's not irrelevant.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

It's truly pathetic that being humble and being a dork are being conflated in such a childish manner.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    It's truly pathetic that being humble and being a dork are being conflated in such a childish manner.
    Being humble is one thing. But, most of the time superman is the butt of the joke where he isn't meant to be. As said, the character has real tendencies to be out of touch, paternalistic... Etc. That humble option is for those that don't believe its badly done. Me, hell yeah! I believe it's badly done. The suit itself is made into dorky suit. It wasn't supposed to be treated like that. Superman's strongman suit spawned the whole genre. If it being described as something to be made fun of then their is seriously something wrong. Superman the champion wasn't meant to be a dork. He needs to have the strength of conviction and resolve to act.

Sure, but you can have period pieces. Superman needs to have more zorro-esque feel and moments,though. That's not irrelevant.
    Period pieces sure. But you have to have some modern stuff too.
    (And Zorro doesn't wear trunks either)

Period pieces sure. But you have to have some modern stuff too.
    (And Zorro doesn't wear trunks either)
    Well, that was in regards to his personality and totally unrelated to costume.

Astonishing Member

More reason why comics should've been real-time.

Quote Originally Posted by PCN24454 View Post
    More reason why comics should've been real-time.
    In real time Superman would be dead of old age. I have no interest in that.

Astonishing Member

In real time Superman would be dead of old age. I have no interest in that.
    Yet his legacy would live on in others.

Besides, he's usually portrayed as being long-lived by human standards.

Yet his legacy would live on in others.

Besides, he's usually portrayed as being long-lived by human standards.
    I have no interest in legacy stories. Passing on the torch, handing over the mantle, just leaves me cold in fiction.

Even if Supes is long lived, Lois, Jimmy, Perry, Lex, and most the rest of his supporting cast and rogues aren't.

I'd rather have updates and reboots at times than have all these characters age and die and end. I'd rather have the OG than be sold on someone's great grandson.

Astonishing Member

I have no interest in legacy stories. Passing on the torch, handing over the mantle, just leaves me cold in fiction.

Even if Supes is long lived, Lois, Jimmy, Perry, Lex, and most the rest of his supporting cast and rogues aren't.

I'd rather have updates and reboots at times than have all these characters age and die and end. I'd rather have the OG than be sold on someone's great grandson.
    Welp, at least you admit it.

Astonishing Member

Being humble is one thing. But, most of the time superman is the butt of the joke where he isn't meant to be. As said, the character has real tendencies to be out of touch, paternalistic... Etc. That humble option is for those that don't believe its badly done. Me, hell yeah! I believe it's badly done. The suit itself is made into dorky suit. It wasn't supposed to be treated like that. Superman's strongman suit spawned the whole genre. If it being described as something to be made fun of then their is seriously something wrong. Superman the champion wasn't meant to be a dork. He needs to have the strength of conviction and resolve to act.
    Some depictions do this, but Superman hasn't really had that great an impact on culture being serious after Donner and Superman TAS. His classic costume didn't help that perception. Superman has layers, that's what make shim interesting. He can be dorky at times, and a force to be reckoned with. The original circus costume would be laughed at today, because that suited that time period. Today super-heroes wearing underwear on the outside of their costume looks silly, culture moved on. This is why super-hero costumes are constantly updated. This scene would look out of place if Christian Bale wore Adam West's outfit.

Super-hero's need to look aesthetically pleasing and fit the time period they belong to. This is why Cavill's Superman looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Some depictions do this, but Superman hasn't really had that great an impact on culture being serious after Donner and Superman TAS. His classic costume didn't help that perception. Superman has layers, that's what make shim interesting. He can be dorky at times, and a force to be reckoned with. The original circus costume would be laughed at today, because that suited that time period. Today super-heroes wearing underwear on the outside of their costume looks silly, culture moved on. This is why super-hero costumes are constantly updated. This scene would look out of place if Christian Bale wore Adam West's outfit.

Super-hero's need to look aesthetically pleasing and fit the time period they belong to. This is why Cavill's Superman looks like this:

Sure, while i agree that it needs to be updated. The disagreement is that while batman begins successfully weaves the mythic origin of superman that's grounded. Superman's costume in man of steel was just there upon introduction . It had no real significance to superman himself, only krypton as their garb of knightly duties. Superman just gets it one day and decides he needs to jump around. On the otherhand Nolan's batman suit might not have looked the best. But, ambience and story telling made it into this mythic larger than life thing.

Welp, at least you admit it.
    Why wouldn't I admit it? I don't like legacy, that's hardly something to be evasive about.

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    I think "dork" can't escape being a loaded word, and it doesn't mean the same thing as "humble," obviously, which renders the poll somewhat meaningless.

But is Clark Kent sort of a geek or a nerd? Yeah, I think he's necessarily a geek, it's part of the whole "normal guy, bit of an outsider, with a good head on his shoulders" thing that's so key to Superman.
    Yeah, i think that's a key there. "Dork" means a lot of things to a lot of people... and frankly what used to be 'dorky' has now become pretty mainstream. I can picture Superman having an opinion over who his favorite Star Trek captain was and loving Lord of the Rings... i can see him having a conversation like that with Barry that I just don't see Batman or Aquaman having.

Is that a BAD thing? Not in the least.