Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Default How would you introduce Robin in Matt Reves' trilogy

They've all been done in a good way. All the greats in the myth. One was there from the beginning and I finally wish to see him on the big screen. Name of Robin. Red and Green are his colours. Bruce could use someone to talk to besides Gordon, Alfred and Selina.

From all the Robins I'd choose...

Dick Grayson, the original sidekick, orphan, taken in, training starts at the age of 12, maybe 14.

Starting with Dick because we're doing early Batman. But for me I think making Robin a literal child for a movie would not work. Or would be really hard to make work. Teenagers are fine though, just look at Peter Parker in the MCU. Apparently people didn't have a problem with Tony Stark taking a 16 year old or whatever age he's supposed to be in Civil War.

Simple - I wouldn't.

I'd subvert it. Bruce would still get a Robin, but like White Knight, it would be Jason Todd first.

And honestly, outside of Cirque de Soliel, circuses just aren't much of a thing anymore. It would take some juggling for a circus Dick Grayson to make sense. Whereas a kid from a bad neighborhood, desperate enough to try and steal the wheels from the Batmobile to get some food in his belly is not so outlandish. Like, at all.

Extraordinary Member

Alrighty... starting with Dick Grayson, and possibly going to other Robins for fun in later posts...

- The Graysons are the star act of a touring acrobatics show (not really so much a circus, more like Cirque de Solei), and have just begun to integrate 13 year old Dick into the act. They also want to settle in Gotham, which despite its reputation, does have excellent public schools thanks to the Wayne Foundation (insert joke about why so many supervillains have PhDs.)
    - They’ve been in Gotham about a year when Batman first premieres in the city... and sadly, the death of the parents is actually one of the first really publicized murder cases that Batman solves; he catches the guy how sabotaged their equipment, but Tony Zucco, the mastermind, escapes into the underworld (it’s the first real chink Batman finds in the mob’s armor.)
    - Bruce keeps track of Dick’s situation as part of his billionaire philanthropist persona, genuinely worried about him... but as one of a few kids orphaned by crime since he returned to the city who he watches out for. Dick’s case is unique because while he does have an elderly, largely infirm aunt Harriet who wants to take care of him but can’t, and he keeps breaking out of the boy’s homes they put him in to both take care of his aunt and to try seeing if he can find anything on Tony Zucco.
    - Much like with the BTAS version in “Robin’s Reckoning”, Batman runs into Dick when Dick’s managed to find Tony Zucco and is almost killed by him. Batman saves him, and Bruce ends up trying to get Dick safely squared away at Wayne Manor - this time with the twist being that Aunt Harriet will be taken care if by hospice in the Manor, as a way of making sure Dick stays in place.
    -Dick still goes out after Zucco, so Bruce tries scaring him straight as Batman. It doesn’t work, and because Dick is now in close proximity to Bruce, he manages to figure out that Bruce is Batman, especially when Bruce gets injured as Batman and can’t quite conceal it.
    -Bruce still tries to scare Dick out of the life by letting him in on a few of the cave’s investigations, and begins some self-defense and stealth training just to try and keep Dick from getting himself killed if/when he gets out. Meanwhile, Aunt Harriet starts a flirtation with Alfred, and we start to see she has some inkling about what’s going on.
    -Dick takes to training like a maniac, which reminds Bruce of himself and makes him even more worried. When he realizes Dick won’t stay out of the way, he allows him to come as a spotter and some light reconnaissance at 16 - and when they need a code name for the radio, Dick volunteers “Robin” but won’t explain why yet.
    -A case comes up where Batman *needs* help in the field, and he reluctantly lets Robin join him. Dick uses his costume for the first time, and chooses the color scheme himself, with Bruce and Alfred doubling up the armor on the red chest in reaction (Black and dark red costume)
    -Dick does *very* well, and he winds up revealing himself when Batman is talking to Gordon (much to Bruce’s consternation and Gordon’s anger), but Dick defends himself and Batman, as well as using the “Robin” codename when Gordon demands to know who he is.
    -The case goes bad for a while with a very near miss where Dick almost dies, and Bruce tries to ground him Batman-style, only for Dick to immediately escape (he taught himself escapology with Bruce’s resources). A terminal Harriet uses this opportunity to reveal she knows what’s happening, and tells Bruce that if Dick won’t stop, then he’d better make sure he can handle himself.
    -Batman rejoins Robin, and they solve the case, save the day, and Robin gets publicized. Aunt Harriet is going to die and ends up transferring guardianship to Bruce, after making him promise to make sure Dick ends up better than he is.
    - Bruce asks Dick why he chose “Robin” - it’s because Aunt Harriet’s favorite hero was Robin Hood.
    Last edited by godisawesome; 05-03-2020 at 06:13 PM.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    Starting with Dick because we're doing early Batman. But for me I think making Robin a literal child for a movie would not work. Or would be really hard to make work. Teenagers are fine though, just look at Peter Parker in the MCU. Apparently people didn't have a problem with Tony Stark taking a 16 year old or whatever age he's supposed to be in Civil War.
    Yeah, I wouldn't really mind but I think a lot of movie goers (especially the general audience who don't know) would be a bit turned off by a Robin who's as young as Dick was when he first started out. I think they did the right thing with the live action Titans series by aging him up just enough for it to not be too weird, but young enough for him to still be considered a kid.

Damian's the only one I could see them getting away with casting a young child for and that's mostly because him being the way that he was while also being so young was part of the tragedy of the character.

But whatever they do, just...don't pull a 90s Batman and cast a clearly grown ass man as a teenage Dick Grayson. That only worked with Peter Parker because Tom Holland's looked exactly the same since "The Impossible" XD

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Go with an actor who can pull off a 14-16 year old Dick Grayson who is part of a family of performers in a Cirque de Soliel type show.
    Have him start to help Batman in a limited capacity as Robin, then confirm he's 18 or so in the sequels where he can be more realistically active. Get a few films out of the Bronze Age/BTAS setup where he's in college and become Nightwing at around 21/22 (if it gets that far).

It really just depends on the tone Reeves is setting out for and just how comic-booky he'll allow his films to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    I'd subvert it. Bruce would still get a Robin, but like White Knight, it would be Jason Todd first.

And honestly, outside of Cirque de Soliel, circuses just aren't much of a thing anymore. It would take some juggling for a circus Dick Grayson to make sense. Whereas a kid from a bad neighborhood, desperate enough to try and steal the wheels from the Batmobile to get some food in his belly is not so outlandish. Like, at all.
    It’s funny I did actually go on a weird Halloween themed date to a small circus thing just a year ago (small thing outside Applebee’s). I don’t know what Cirque de Soliel is but there was some acrobats and some strange music. But I remember being kinda unimpressed by the whole thing.
    Ok, so maybe this time around The Flying Graysons are just acrobat participants for America’s Got Talent. For which Bruce Wayne was hosting for some reason. And breakdancer Tony Zuko wants that million dollar prize so he kills the Graysons!.... Okay that’s kinda silly, maybe Dick does have an outdated origin and Tim, Damian or Jason be an easier sell.

I would go more the route they did with Captain America and Bucky - adult friend. And in that case I'd go straight to Nightwing and not bother with Robin at all.

Quote Originally Posted by OpaqueGiraffe17 View Post
    It’s funny I did actually go on a weird Halloween themed date to a small circus thing just a year ago (small thing outside Applebee’s). I don’t know what Cirque de Soliel is but there was some acrobats and some strange music. But I remember being kinda unimpressed by the whole thing.
    Ok, so maybe this time around The Flying Graysons are just acrobat participants for America’s Got Talent. For which Bruce Wayne was hosting for some reason. And breakdancer Tony Zuko wants that million dollar prize so he kills the Graysons!.... Okay that’s kinda silly, maybe Dick does have an outdated origin and Tim, Damian or Jason be an easier sell.
    Cirque de Soleil is a circus performance in Las Vegas (though they do travel at time to certain venues) and put on a number of acrobatic acts.
    https://www.cirquedusoleil.com/about-us/history

Robin wouldn't be part of the 1st movie. Maybe Batman takes down Falcone and makes room for Zucco that way?? I'd definitely use Dick as teenage sidekick in movie 2 and 3. Maybe give him Jason's or Tim's backstory. No Nightwing. Still hoping for a Nightwing movie from the Lego Batman director

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

I have to see what his Batman's like first. Right now I only know he's young and has techy armor but I don't know the tone... did he say he's going for Noir?

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    I have to see what his Batman's like first. Right now I only know he's young and has techy armor but I don't know the tone... did he say he's going for Noir?
    Reeves said he likes the 60s show and his Batman will be more of a detective than a brawler. The Long Halloween seems to be a big influence as well.

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by batnbreakfast View Post
    Reeves said he likes the 60s show and his Batman will be more of a detective than a brawler. The Long Halloween seems to be a big influence as well.
    Dark Victory then

I'm having a problem reconciling the 60s show and Long Halloween in my mind...