THE MARK OF MY DIGNITY Superlad93's Avatar

Default Superman issue #25 spoiler discussion

"Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

It's a very near perfect issue of Superman by any standard.

I said what I said.

There's a good amount to talk about given how heavy on themes and subtle character moments this is, but it's quite a clear issue, so all of that is just there for the taking.

Two things though: I *really* get why Bendis used Lana now, and Eison Alkor aka Synmar is a very strong idea that Bendis has been hinting at since issue 4(?).
    "Mark my words! This drill will open a hole in the universe. And that hole will become a path for those that follow after us. The dreams of those who have fallen. The hopes of those who will follow. Those two sets of dreams weave together into a double helix, drilling a path towards tomorrow. THAT's Tengen Toppa! THAT'S Gurren Lagann! MY DRILL IS THE DRILL THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!" - The Digger

We walk on the path to Secher Nbiw. Though hard fought, we walk the Golden Path.

Is the best thig Bendis have done with Superman in while, specially when compared with the House of Kent storyline... It helps a lot having Reis instead of Romita Jr.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

I love this issue and i love that Superman having a career as Superboy is officially back in continuity. Things have been murky on that point for too long.

Clark as Superboy back in his youth is something that's been back since issue 1 of Legion actually, but this reinforces it, yeah.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    Clark as Superboy back in his youth is something that's been back since issue 1 of Legion actually, but this reinforces it, yeah.
    Oh wow I'm going to have to re-read that! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by magha_regulus View Post
    Oh wow I'm going to have to re-read that! Thanks!
    My bad, it's actually in issue 2. Rose and the UP President are talking, and the President asks which Superboy Rose means "Superboy? Son of Superman Superboy, or the original Superman when he was a child?"

Clark as Superboy again was also explicitly stated to be back in the new teased timeline, but without his Legion involvement.

And aspects of that timeline seem to be shown here in this issue of Superman given the fact that when Clark's ship is landing we are also seeing images of Wonder Woman blocking bullets, Winston Churchill, WWII planes, and the atomic bomb being dropped.

Astonishing Member

Oh this was good.

Make no mistake, it's a huge head-ache to try to think of how it all fits together even a little, even for me, who was there reading it all as it happened ... but I'm so glad they ran with Lana's most recent history as the Red Superwoman full tilt. I mean, to some degree. I'm not sure what's in and what's out - for my money I'd love for her and John Henry to still be an item - but otherwise I'm just really happy to see the inclusion and to see it work really well in a "friends catching up" scene that has organic relevance to the current ongoing plotlines, plays a little continuity catch-up, and evokes classic depictions at the same time.

And Synmar didn't even suck so there's that, too.
    Retro315 no more. Anonymity is so 2005.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Huh. I actually liked Synmar aka Eisno Alkor a lot. A guy who was “created” with the sole intent of mimicking Superman but for another culture is an interesting idea, hopefully Bendis will have a plan for how to use him beyond the inevitable slug fest between Supes and Eisno.

The continuity seems to be a mix of Secret Origin (since Clark was Superboy), Birthright (Lana didn’t seem romantically interested in him and Clark was kind of a shy wallflower) and the Silver Age (Lana was interested in Superboy). There’s also some New 52 with the Johns JL origin still being canon, something that held true for Reborn as well. Thought Reis drew a good New 52 suit to be honest. I was solidly impressed with Bendis’ attempts to weave together all the various continuity bull that has happened in the last couple of years, felt he did a good job.

Pretty good read. I'm glad they kept Lana's time as Superwoman and hope they kept her relationship with John. I knew Clark as Superboy returned but this really cemented it for me. I wonder if Lois was ever Superwoman in this timeline?