Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Mon Calamari were also treated pretty poorly (although the old EU story of the Empire 'discovering' them was already showing cracks by the time of the prequels, as we see Mon Calamari and Quarren in various places, especially ROTS where they're represented and are the dancers in the opera scene!). The comics in particular show how they became sort of the heart of the Alliance fleet, although Raddus's group were from an earlier rebellion).

Disney's version of the Empire/First Order is a bit more diverse (More female officers, stormtroopers) although they do seem mostly human-centric, at least on the navy/army side (Mas Amedda, for example, remains Palpatine's second-in-command, and it's possible Snoke-or Snoke's original clone host or whatever-was an alien, and of course there's also Thrawn)
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

The Empire hates aliens thing is purely an EU thing anyway. At no point in any movie that stuff is stated.

It seems a bit implied in ROTJ a bit-the Rebels seem to have a large collection of alien members especially during the briefing room compared to the Empire (We do see two aliens assisting the Empire in ESB as bounty hunters, but that'as kind of it). Then again, the Rebellion in the last two films in the OT was pretty much all human too, with the exception of Chewie and droids.

I think it was indicated there was some kind of bias against Thrawn when he first showed up.

iMan 42s

In terms of day to day life things get worse the farther the Empire went out into the outer rim. The outer rim at that also had a lot of trouble during the days of the Republic so it really only gets worse during the Empire. Beyond the day to day operations of the Empire changing civilian life the Empire's biggest issue was its upper management who'd do things like blow up planets or kill people out of spite. Mostly the problem with the Empire was it's higher ups as a bunch of Stormtroopers aren't nearly as big a problem as Tarkin or even Darth Vader. Your average squad of Stormtroopers isn't going to slaughter a camp of Tuskens for the Hell of it.

As for biases, well it seems the Empire while predominantly human (though droids are among them) do have various serving aliens. While some biases exist it's not like the Empire doesn't have alien agents or officers among them. Noting that a bunch if not most of the Inquisitors weren't Human and they tend to outrank the various officers. Palpatine as well didn't seem to mind working with non-Humans as he at least intended Maul to have Vader's place prior to his apparent death on Naboo.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Stormtroopers must be a pretty rare sight for the regular space Joe i dare to imagine.

They are an "elite" force so i guess the ones people have to deal with on a regular basis are actually more the functionaries and very occasionally an imperial governor or something like that. (maybe little Jimmy wants to join the regular Imperial army)

An oppressive system on such a large scale must be actually pretty hard to maintain when you think about it.

There's always seemed to be a bit of confusion whether the Stormtroopers are the regular army or something more like the marines. I think that's in part because the old RPG games and novels that kind of tried to make that distinction here and there, with the regular army sort of dressed like Veers and the AT-ST drivers in ROTJ. We do see the Clones in the Clone Wars serving as pretty much regular infantry, but we never really see that with the Stormtroopers in large groups.

I think the whole reason the Stormtroopers and also Vader wear the head-to-toe armor mainly has to deal with the original concept for the boarding of the ship-the Stormtroopers and Vader were originally intended to 'space walk' to the Tantive IV and Ralph Mcquarrie reasoned they would probably need something like a sealed spacesuit against the vacuum. (We do see Zero G Stormtroopers in ANH but they're mainly just regular Stormtroopers with some extra backpack stuff and nozzles).

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    There's always seemed to be a bit of confusion whether the Stormtroopers are the regular army or something more like the marines.
    Good point.

Now that i think of it you can see stormtrooper doing security on corellia in Solo lol.

This kind of makes me think about the Alphabet Squadron books and how they depict the Empire remnants and their perspective on the validity of the Empire. To them the order of the Empire, while not perfect, was a better alternative than the anarchy of the Rebellion or the ineffectual old Republic, and the Rebels were terrorists who got good people (at least from their perspective) killed.

iMan 42s

The stormtroopers even in the Disney era can be hard to pin down but more or less the Empire trains units generally and then moves them into various rolls sometimes even rotating them in and out of them. It seems to me like a holdover from the Clone Wars where the clones had all been trained to fight but can end up on a bridge of a star destroyer or even become a medic.
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

It seems a bit implied in ROTJ a bit-the Rebels seem to have a large collection of alien members especially during the briefing room compared to the Empire (We do see two aliens assisting the Empire in ESB as bounty hunters, but that'as kind of it). Then again, the Rebellion in the last two films in the OT was pretty much all human too, with the exception of Chewie and droids.
    While the Rebellion is mostly human they do have several prominent aliens. We know about Bothans (although we don't see them), Plus we see a few different species in the briefing, along with Nien Numb as Lando's copilot. The Empire never seems to have anyone not human on a ship - just some spies and bounty hunters, most of whom I suspect aren't actually members (even those spies, the bounty hunters certainly weren't by the bridge crew reaction) but merely gig hires.
    Dark does not mean deep.

I'm not sure if I should put this in a seperate thread but I've always been a bit confused by the Imperial uniforms and codes in Star Wars. We see officers wear both black and greenish outfits on the naval ships, including some commanders. We also have both the intellligence officers *and* the Grand Admirals wear the uniforms (apparentally this is why Yularen, who wears a white uniform in Star Wars, is an Admiral in Clone Wars; Filoni thought he was a Grand Admiral by the time of ANH but he was technically under the same department as Krennic by then). Plus the guys with the huge helmets, they're often identified as "Death Star troopers" in merchandising yet we see them onboard Star Destroyers and ground installations too....

Also in ANH for the most part the green-uniform officers don't wear the naval hats, and instead the black-uniforms do. However in the two sequels pretty much everybody gets a hat.

In something like Star Trek it's a bit easier, the badges or color of the uniforms usually denote the department. In Star Wars it just seems more random.

Star Trek's colors for jobs and dots for ranks sure is a handy system.

I guess simply that's maybe not something they paid a lot of attention to between movies during the filming of the OT.

iMan 42s

I'm not sure if I should put this in a seperate thread but I've always been a bit confused by the Imperial uniforms and codes in Star Wars. We see officers wear both black and greenish outfits on the naval ships, including some commanders. We also have both the intellligence officers *and* the Grand Admirals wear the uniforms (apparentally this is why Yularen, who wears a white uniform in Star Wars, is an Admiral in Clone Wars; Filoni thought he was a Grand Admiral by the time of ANH but he was technically under the same department as Krennic by then). Plus the guys with the huge helmets, they're often identified as "Death Star troopers" in merchandising yet we see them onboard Star Destroyers and ground installations too....

Also in ANH for the most part the green-uniform officers don't wear the naval hats, and instead the black-uniforms do. However in the two sequels pretty much everybody gets a hat.

In something like Star Trek it's a bit easier, the badges or color of the uniforms usually denote the department. In Star Wars it just seems more random.
    According to the ranking system

Pilots - Pilots are allowed to paint helmets (in a variety of colors) but commonly this will distinguish if someone is higher rank than your average pilot though it doesn't denote what rank. No design is specific to rank until the FO. They can wear pauldrons as noted by Iden Versio's but being that she's spec ops it might not be available for pilots and just her because it's a special case.

Stormtroopers - Pauldrons indicate rank but other colors can denote specialization like blue being used for snipers. The color system can change per trooper type. The Inquisitor Purge Troopers for example have a different color system to the Stormtroopers. Scouts however seems to have an identical color system to Stormtroopers. An interesting note is that the Snowtrooper commander from ESB actually has a different helmet material being a hard plastic or rubber whereas everyone else has a fabric-like material. Stormtroopers in general can be used by other forces and can have their own command based on who they serve. So an ISB Stormtrooper would look identical to your Imperial army but serve in the ISB rather than ground forces.

The Deathstar trooper is actually Imperial Navy hence why the design almost reappeared in Solo (it's in a deleted scene) but can commonly be found on the Death Stars since that falls under Imperial Navy.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Starter Set View Post
    Good point.

Now that i think of it you can see stormtrooper doing security on corellia in Solo lol.
    I wonder if it has more to do with how much control the Empire has over the planet in regards to how big a pressence the Stormtroopers have. On Corellia which was still a pretty rough place even under the Empire it makes sense there would be more Troopers around while on other worlds you might only see them around Imperial instalations and such. If they had a planet firmly in hand they would probably want to use their troopers on other worlds that were not so fully under their control.