Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Extraordinary Member Lightning Rider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Nothing wrong with those kind of stories, though. It's like comfort food for the soul, artistically. Main reason why cozy mysteries and romance novels do so well.

I do agree that there should be room for 'creators with something to say'. That's why we have independents and graphic novels.
    It's kind of expected from them.

DC could do a line just for those kind of stories. Vertigo became that as it grew, but it's gone now.
    And Black Label could've been that, if they didn't just use it to re-label their superhero stuff to make them look more high-brow.
    That's true, I mean I don't expect every story to be a ground-breaking pioneer, but many satisfying stories I've read have some kind of narrative purpose behind them, beyond just beating up the bad guy. Even if on paper it's simple.

...of the Black Priests Midnight_v's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I grew up with Batman Beyond and Bucky Barnes was Cap so moving forward didn't really bug me when I was younger. Plus I'm a bit bored with DC and the big 7 so some new people in the mantles could be interesting to me.

As an older fan, I don't really care as I don't read the main line as much. Right I read Far Sector and the Sandman Universe. I actually want Far Sector in its own universe unemcumbered by DC editorial shenanigans.

DC's main problem was they never define what 5g was. Only thing you could pull up online was rumors, speculation and hearsay. It allowed the dissenters to control the narrative instead of DC.

I'm not denying there was a backlash against minority replacements but that could've handled better by DC taking control.
    If youre really "BORED WITH DC and the Big 7" maybe... just maybe "New people" in the same mantles is a piss-poor solution.

Seems like reading Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman… but its Tim, Conner, and Cass! Isn't really a recipe for excitement, but then they have that book already its justed called something else.

IDK.

I read.... Jupiter's Legacy and it seemed a lot more honest "if a bit edgy" concerning the offspring and replacements of heroes.
    My priority is enjoying and supporting stories of timeless heroism and conflict.
    Everything else is irrelevant.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    Nothing wrong with those kind of stories, though. It's like comfort food for the soul, artistically. Main reason why cozy mysteries and romance novels do so well.
    The DC Digital books are doing a great job of doing solid stand-alone comfort food superhero comics. I assume that DC will continue them as long as they do well enough. Venditti's Superman Man of Tomorrow stories were particularly fun.

However, I'm not sure whether there's a big enough readership for those kinds of comics within the existing fanbase, who only seem to want giant status quo-shifting events that change everything. And I'm not sure if DC has done enough to bring in any new readers outside of that existing fanbase.

Extraordinary Member

I don't think it would work for the main universe on the long run, at the latest when the characters that are now young and would take over would get phased out them self and replaced by new characters you would have a problem in bringing in new readers.

In case of Dick's generation we have seen that pre flashpoint they could grow up quite a bit without phasing out the big 6 (Raven is kind a special case since they basically younger around Flashpoint then she was when she was introduced in NTT). It is generations behind them that have a problem.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by lemonpeace View Post
    I've said it once, I've said it a million times: stories need to end. look at manga, no one actually cares about telling the same story forever, they just want good stories. I always find it hilarious how people will pretend this isn't anything but corporate move to play the nostalgic ego of fans. why is Batman aging, retiring, or actually finishing his story and being put to rest bad? because people don't wanna feel old. if we're being honest that's all it comes down to and it's honestly just sad and ridiculous to me.
    Hes not retiring because they will have zero faith they can replicate the success of the character with someone else in the suit.

If they thought they would sell 20k an issue more with a new character i can guarantee Bruce Wayne would have a harpoon through the eye tomorrow. New toy line with new character, whole new merchandising line, new films- it would be huge money spinner. They just know they cant pull it off though.

If you want a complete story dont read ongoing serial story telling would be the obvious solution

Quote Originally Posted by Midnight_v View Post
    If youre really "BORED WITH DC and the Big 7" maybe... just maybe "New people" in the same mantles is a piss-poor solution.

Seems like reading Batman, Superman, Wonderwoman… but its Tim, Conner, and Cass! Isn't really a recipe for excitement, but then they have that book already its justed called something else.

IDK.

I read.... Jupiter's Legacy and it seemed a lot more honest "if a bit edgy" concerning the offspring and replacements of heroes.
    Gods and monsters was my favorite DC animated movie in the past decade so I'd argue against that.

Sometimes a new character could provide a shot in the arm a franchise needs. Hence why I'm reading Far sector instead of the regular GL comic.

Granted i just see replacements as a means to end. I'm not really invested if Luke becomes Batman fulltime. Luke becoming Batman is just an excuse to get Ridley to write Luke Fox to me.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Lightning Rider View Post
    That's true, I mean I don't expect every story to be a ground-breaking pioneer, but many satisfying stories I've read have some kind of narrative purpose behind them, beyond just beating up the bad guy. Even if on paper it's simple.
    The reason why it feels jarring to me is that, often times, it feels like DC is trying to do both which is the worst kind of option there is.