Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zauriel View Post
    Yes, I think it is a bad idea. If they are going to make a movie about Vikings and want to win an Oscar, should they include a black actor?
    Thats not what it says though unless I read it wrong. You need to meet 2 out of 4 standards. And only one of the standards has to do with cast. The other 3 is about giving non white dudes job in Hollywood. You can make a viking movie with an all white cast and director. You just have to have a diverse group of people working on the film behind the scenes.

Ultimate Member

EDIT:

OK.

I just read the full article.

Will need to process this better.
    Last edited by Username taken; 09-08-2020 at 11:40 PM. Reason: I didnt read the full article earlier

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    EDIT:

OK.

I just read the full article.

Will need to process this better.
    That's okay.

I didnt read the whole article earlier, either.

I mean yea I don't see the issue its basically forcing Studios to hire more non white dudes behind the scenes. If you meet the behind the scenes requirement your cast can be 100% white dudes. Honestly its Oscar's forcing affirmative action at Hollywood studios. Something Anthony Mackie himself was kinda calling for. He was talking about how the crew and producers are all white on most of these films outside of Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    So, uh, wouldn't something like Greenbook still be eligible?
    Green Book for sure covers A and probably one of the other ones. So it would be eligible. Something like Little Women which is a majority white cast would also be eligible.

Something like Ford vs Ferrari or the Irishman would need 30% of it crew to be minority and offer apprenticeship and internship to minorities (just two) or have two or more minority executives for advertising and marketing the movie. These things aren't very hard to meet.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-08-2020 at 11:57 PM.

BANNED

Way to go Oscars, kill what is left of your little credibility.

This is plain stupid. The Oscars were created to honour the artistic best of films. many minorities are already eligible on that alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post

This is plain stupid. The Oscars were created to honour the artistic best of films. many minorities are already eligible on that alone.
    ima probaly regret engaging but what specifically do you have a problem with? Despite what people are arguing about on the previous page it doesn't stop movies with all white male casts from being eligible. It just requires that the studio has a diverse group of people working behind the scenes. Being as White women are included in this that shouldn't be hard at all. The only way I can see people taking issue are the people who think institutional racism isn't real and hate affirmative action. It literally doesn't have to effect the art side of the films at all.

Ultimate Member

You didn't read the article.

Read it very carefully, there's nothing really radical in the new guidelines.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    You didn't read the article.

Read it very carefully, there's nothing really radical in the new guidelines.
    There is. Oscars are choosing now not to consider what is truly the best . They are now putting ''diversity'' first 30% of the time. We have another word for it. Tokenism.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    ima probaly regret engaging but what specifically do you have a problem with? Despite what people are arguing about on the previous page it doesn't stop movies with all white male casts from being eligible. It just requires that the studio has a diverse group of people working behind the scenes. Being as White women are included in this that shouldn't be hard at all. The only way I can see people taking issue are the people who think institutional racism isn't real and hate affirmative action. It literally doesn't have to effect the art side of the films at all.
    Oscars 2002 (Denzel and Halle)
    Oscars 2005 (Jamie Fox and Morgan Freeman)
    Oscars 2014 (Steve McQueen and Alfonso Cuarón)

There was a time when minorities won without any tokenism rules. 2014 alone had a black director and Mexican director movie dominate the Oscars in almost every category winning the big two for best director and best picture. they won because they had the best films .

The oscars are pulling a Disney Star Wars with John Boyega. They think they are doing diversity a favour. they are not. They are only making things worse.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Yes, as suggested, please read the article in its entirety. OP failed to mention that for a film to be eligible it needs to meet two out of the four standards and there are mentions of also mentions of LGBTQ+ people and also those living with physical disabilities on and off screen.

Personally I don't think it's that big of a deal, although there are bound to be some problems.

My issue is still the number of nominations. It makes no sense if there are eight Best Picture nominations but only five Best Director nominations, or only five Best Actor/Actress/Supporting Actor/Supporting Actress nominations. There's no reason why Little Women received multiple nominations including Best Picture but Greta Gerwig wasn't nominated for Best Director.

There was a time when minorities won without any tokenism rules. 2014 alone had a black director and Mexican director movie dominate the Oscars in almost every category winning the big two for best director and best picture. they won because they had the best films .

The oscars are pulling a Disney Star Wars with John Boyega. They think they are doing diversity a favour. they are not. They are only making things worse.
    Tell me how many black women since Halle Berry have been nominated for Best Actress? Go ahead, answer that.

Tell me how many black actresses before Halle Berry were nominated for Best Actress? Look that up to. You can literally count the exact number on two hands.

How many black actors have actually won Oscars? How many have been nominated? Go compare that to the number of Oscar ceremonies we've had and the same crop of white actors and directors and crew members that have been nominated over and over and over again.

what are talking about this isnt gonna get minorities token nominations. Read the actual article for a change. Majority of this is about getting Non white dudes more jobs on the crews and at these studios in general. A movie can have a all white guy cast and director, and still be eligible. The oscsrs is using its prestige to force studios to start hiring more diverse people to work at the studios. This has nothing to do with your usual rants about token rules for black people or undresevrd nominations. But I'm sure you will keep ranting about that anyway because that's your jam. Read the article though. It need to meet 2 out of 4 standards. 3 of the standards are about Crew,department heads, offering internships, and Marketing. The rules in no way help Black actors. For one it isn't about black people. It about all underespersented people including white women and white guys with disabilities or who are LGBQT. 2 it literally does nothing to make Black actors more likely to get a nomination unless white actors are working for studios who only wanna hire white white men on staff. Also what are these black films that received token nominations? Your talking about Black Panther as usual and the vast majority of people who saw the movie disagree with you. So you can rant about it all you want but it doesn't make it a token nomination in anyway.

It's even just black people. Absolutely none of the actors from Parasite got a nomination for acting and The Farewell got nothing at the Oscars despite receiving many other accolades and Awkwafina herself winning a Golden Globe.

Hell, maybe this will force Hollywood to start telling new stories too. I liked movies like The Favourite and Little Women well enough but I'm sure we don't need yet another period piece that focuses squarely on white people.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    It's even just black people. Absolutely none of the actors from Parasite got a nomination for acting and The Farewell got nothing at the Oscars despite receiving many other accolades and Awkwafina herself winning a Golden Globe.

Hell, maybe this will force Hollywood to start telling new stories too. I liked movies like The Favourite and Little Women well enough but I'm sure we don't need yet another period piece that focuses squarely on white people.
    Parasite was a masterpiece. That was deserved.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Tell me how many black women since Halle Berry have been nominated for Best Actress? Go ahead, answer that.

Tell me how many black actresses before Halle Berry were nominated for Best Actress? Look that up to. You can literally count the exact number on two hands.

How many black actors have actually won Oscars? How many have been nominated? Go compare that to the number of Oscar ceremonies we've had and the same crop of white actors and directors and crew members that have been nominated over and over and over again.
    Maybe a few? but sometimes its about quality not quantity. If black women make up 6% of the population then oscars should at least be having 6% of black wins/nominations for black women, at the same time it also about the casting and talent agencies. they need to do more and cast many black women in race anonymous roles, that is not the oscar's job.

The problem now is unlike Halle or Denzel, many black actors who will win Oscars in the future could be more about tokenism. To those who are saying i should read the article. I will respond by saying read John Boyega's GQ interview on racism and tokenism.