Page 25 of 126 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2020 Season

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Speaking of the Cowboys , NFL did a list of week 4 over-reactions and brings up how McCarthy isn't using Elliott that well. So why not trade him ?

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-overrea...-to-trade-zeke

I can see how the Cowboys are struggling. Yes Dak Prescott is a solid QB. But the Cowboys always worked with the power running game eating the clock and the defense taking it fully over. In the classic 90s Cowboys teams that Jerry Jones wanted to recreate here , the biggest star was Smith followed by Irvin and Harper on the outside. If Emmitt Smith had a big game (as he'd typically do) the Cowboys would win. Everything fed off him 1st.

I know folks are gonna point at Lamb and Cooper as the stud WR's and both are solid for sure. But they need Zeke to be the RB who grinds out the yards and having games where he doesn't get over 15 carries a week is just miss using the guy.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Speaking of the Cowboys , NFL did a list of week 4 over-reactions and brings up how McCarthy isn't using Elliott that well. So why not trade him ?

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-overrea...-to-trade-zeke

I can see how the Cowboys are struggling. Yes Dak Prescott is a solid QB. But the Cowboys always worked with the power running game eating the clock and the defense taking it fully over. In the classic 90s Cowboys teams that Jerry Jones wanted to recreate here , the biggest star was Smith followed by Irvin and Harper on the outside. If Emmitt Smith had a big game (as he'd typically do) the Cowboys would win. Everything fed off him 1st.

I know folks are gonna point at Lamb and Cooper as the stud WR's and both are solid for sure. But they need Zeke to be the RB who grinds out the yards and having games where he doesn't get over 15 carries a week is just miss using the guy.
    90s Dallas had Michael Irvin and Alvin Harper at WR. Emmitt got his 20 carries+ a game behind that legendary line, but they still had Aikman passing well enough to make opponents scared to crowd the box.

The only difference is, the workload for a RB isn't what it was then in today's NFL if teams want more efficiency at the position. You give a guy 30 carries a game, most are gonna be on IR or only averaging 2 yards a carry by the time December rolls around. Teams want to save guys for the playoffs so they cap RB1 touches. Not officially, but a lot of coaches have started trying to save some fuel in their tanks for playoff runs.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    90s Dallas had Michael Irvin and Alvin Harper at WR. Emmitt got his 20 carries+ a game behind that legendary line, but they still had Aikman passing well enough to make opponents scared to crowd the box.

The only difference is, the workload for a RB isn't what it was then in today's NFL if teams want more efficiency at the position. You give a guy 30 carries a game, most are gonna be on IR or only averaging 2 yards a carry by the time December rolls around. Teams want to save guys for the playoffs so they cap RB1 touches. Not officially, but a lot of coaches have started trying to save some fuel in their tanks for playoff runs.

Well its true a lot of RB's get too banged up by the end of season. The wear and tear has seen a RB by Committee approach due to this. Its what makes what Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson do right now in mid to late 30's so friggen amazing body wise.

A lot just want to be fed the ball. With Elliott his carry number seemed to average 300+ carries a season and he was constantly fed the ball a lot. In fact this stat came up last year in a loss. If Zeke gets the ball and goes over 75 yards on the ground the Cowboys at this point in his career was 30-6 . If it was below the team was 1-7.

https://www.fanduel.com/theduel/post...y-01dp4dsj0690

I'm not dissing the greatness of Irvin and Harper. Even Jimmy Johnson has said if he wanted they could have been a passing team and Aikman could have set a ton of records. But he believed in a strong running game 1st , then passing. Aikman never passed for more than 3,450 yards in his career a season. He had a great arm and could have for sure. But the team was dedicated around giving ball to Smith 1st , and once he got rolling the rest came easier.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Well its true a lot of RB's get too banged up by the end of season. The wear and tear has seen a RB by Committee approach due to this. Its what makes what Frank Gore and Adrian Peterson do right now in mid to late 30's so friggen amazing body wise.
    Straight up, I watched Frank Gore decimate Arizona defenses through the 49ers/Cardinals rivalry of that era. Whatever the score of the game was, Gore had 20 carries, 100 yards, and a TD, and just got better every game, and did it year in and out. Nothing made me happier than seeing him leave the division so we didn't have to deal with him twice a year. But I don't hate the player. I can't. Dude is unreal. Runs like he wants to hurt people, and just keeps coming, no matter how hard he's hit. In terms of durability, he might be the best of his generation.

Zeke isn't getting carries because the Cowboy have played from behind all season. Their defense can't stop anyone and they are giving up too many points in the first quarter and having to play catch-up all game. Their O-line is also been a mess. Travis Frederick's retirement has devastated the stability of the)-line that once was the envy of the league. La'el Collins is out for the season, their on their 2nd or 3rd center already this season, Tyron Smith, as good as he is, misses time every season and has missed about half the games so far. Russell Martin is the only reliable top tier talent left on that line. And yet, the offense is still not the problem. Yes, you would like to see them grind out drives and keep opposing offenses off the field, but you can't do that when those opposing offenses are driving and scoring at will form the start of the game and you fall behind 2-3 scores in the first half. The losses haven't been as close as the final scores indicate, and their lone win was an improbable comeback from a huge deficit. It's hard to commit to the run and long grinding drives when your defense puts you behind by 2 or more scores every game because they can't get opposing offenses off the field. Until they solve those defensive woes, Zeke is not going to be a factor and Prescott is going to have to try to air it out for quick scores to catch up on the scoreboard. And that is not a recipe for a winning season. Their only saving grace is that as bad as the NFC East is, 7-9 could win the division.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Got an alert from Bleacher Report that Washington FC has benched Dwayne Haskins and will start Carolina refugee Kyle Allen against the Rams this Sunday.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Stephon Gilmore of the Pats test positive for Covid, practice cancelled. Two more Tennessee players test positive and return to facility continues to be on hold.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Straight up, I watched Frank Gore decimate Arizona defenses through the 49ers/Cardinals rivalry of that era. Whatever the score of the game was, Gore had 20 carries, 100 yards, and a TD, and just got better every game, and did it year in and out. Nothing made me happier than seeing him leave the division so we didn't have to deal with him twice a year. But I don't hate the player. I can't. Dude is unreal. Runs like he wants to hurt people, and just keeps coming, no matter how hard he's hit. In terms of durability, he might be the best of his generation.
    He's bleeding over a bit even generationally speaking imo. WBE I know you remember end of Emmitt's waning years, he wasn't nearly having to carry the major loads Gore has over the same (presumed) end of his career. At this point dude is arguably the Jests top offensive weapon, he kept the Colts afloat 2 damn stops ago. I've since moved on from being in awe of big Frank, I was a huge 90's Hurricane fan back when, I just wished he'd find a point to call it before he can't at this point.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

J-E-T-S! Tank! Tank! Tank. Trevor Lawrence to the Meadowlands! Gase will deliver.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Got an alert from Bleacher Report that Washington FC has benched Dwayne Haskins and will start Carolina refugee Kyle Allen against the Rams this Sunday.
    Yep the classic Ron Rivera coaching continues. They drafted Haskins knowing he only had a year of college experience and was someone who needed time to develop. Gets thrown into new system and gets 4 games to start the season in it (with no preseason to work through) and after a week he's told the team will stick by him , the next he's benched. The craziest part was Rivera claiming Haskins needed more time to learn as a QB so the best learning he could do was be inactive next week and not be the #2 QB , nope...he's now behind Allen & Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    J-E-T-S! Tank! Tank! Tank. Trevor Lawrence to the Meadowlands! Gase will deliver.
    The Jets need help all over the map. Lawrence would be hurt as bad as Darnold given this coaching.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Yep the classic Ron Rivera coaching continues. They drafted Haskins knowing he only had a year of college experience and was someone who needed time to develop. Gets thrown into new system and gets 4 games to start the season in it (with no preseason to work through) and after a week he's told the team will stick by him , the next he's benched. The craziest part was Rivera claiming Haskins needed more time to learn as a QB so the best learning he could do was be inactive next week and not be the #2 QB , nope...he's now behind Allen & Smith.
    My uneducated guess: Rivera’s original plan was to stick with Haskins as he thought this was going to be a rebuilding year for WFC and they’d be bringing up the rear, far behind the Cowboys and Eagles. But, with NFC Least already a train wreck just four weeks in and everybody stinking like day old diapers, Rivera had a change of heart, thinking, “Hell, the division’s up for grabs! With some decent quarterback play, maybe we can win it!” And, voila, Haskins went to the bench, probably never to see the field again unless Allen gets hurt. That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    My uneducated guess: Rivera’s original plan was to stick with Haskins as he thought this was going to be a rebuilding year for WFC and they’d be bringing up the rear, far behind the Cowboys and Eagles. But, with NFC Least already a train wreck just four weeks in and everybody stinking like day old diapers, Rivera had a change of heart, thinking, “Hell, the division’s up for grabs! With some decent quarterback play, maybe we can win it!” And, voila, Haskins went to the bench, probably never to see the field again unless Allen gets hurt. That’s my theory and I’m sticking to it.
    In his defending the move this is what he brings up that he views the division as up for grabs and wants to go for wins. Then how he can't let all 52 other players down with allowing one player who isn't there yet to play while they can win.

Its crazy to see how badly Washington can screw up developing a young QB but they seem to be on track for it with Haskins. Because they honestly thought Haskins would be Pat Mahomes out there and not realize , well he's only started 1 college season. He was gonna need that time to develop. In a perfect world he doesn't start til year 2 and the coaching staff brings him along by that point.

But he was thrown out there too soon , then given a new offense to learn. A good coaching staff would have realized , its a **** division. Even if you win , the power teams in NFC West likely will destroy your ass in playoffs. But our long term franchise QB we wanna build it more important right now. We gotta get behind him and help get him there. 2020 is a wash ...2021 and 2022 is our year if we get Haskins where we want.

Now the draft pick is a bust and Haskins confidence is likely in shitter.

Speaking of QB's , Sam Darnold will be spared a week of taking hits and sacks as last week he nearly had his collarbone broken (Aikman thought it was that at 1st) and suffered an AC sprain in his shoulder. Darnold will be week to week its claimed due to that. So this week Joe Flacco will start and he's in line for a long day.

The Jets offensive line is in utter shambles and Flacco isn't a mobile guy.

The ghosts will be out in full force in New York on Sunday
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Speaking of QB's , Sam Darnold will be spared a week of taking hits and sacks as last week he nearly had his collarbone broken (Aikman thought it was that at 1st) and suffered an AC sprain in his shoulder. Darnold will be week to week its claimed due to that. So this week Joe Flacco will start and he's in line for a long day.

The Jets offensive line is in utter shambles and Flacco isn't a mobile guy.
    Arizona is on a two game losing streak, and this is the news they needed right now.