Page 46 of 126 FirstFirst ... 364243444546474849505696 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2020 Season

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Listened to Mike Greenberg on ESPN Radio this afternoon. He floated the opinion that if the Cowboys crater out, win say, only four or five games and miss the playoffs, Jerry Jones will blow up the team, sack Mike McCarthy, let Dak Prescott walk, trade Ezekiel Elliott and give Lincoln Riley of Oklahoma a blank check to helm a full rebuild. Opinions?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Listened to Mike Greenberg on ESPN Radio this afternoon. He floated the opinion that if the Cowboys crater out, win say, only four or five games and miss the playoffs, Jerry Jones will blow up the team, sack Mike McCarthy, let Dak Prescott walk, trade Ezekiel Elliott and give Lincoln Riley of Oklahoma a blank check to helm a full rebuild. Opinions?
    It would be the most drastic and ballsy thing Jerrah would have done since he hired Parcells.

The only part of that equation I don't agree with is letting Dak walk. Even with that injury, they should offer him the same contract and hope he takes it this time. Dak was putting up ridiculous numbers before he got hurt... the team was only losing because the defense is shite. Whether or not McCarthy gets fired, I think Mike Nolan will be toast to save the Beav's job.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

He would likely sack McCarthy . Remember the knock on Mike McCarthy is he changes NOTHING and is kinda lazy as a coach. A fact that one ex-player was comically announcing a game and called out what routes and more McCarthy was running play after play. And he hadn't been with the team for a 4-5 seasons. I can see him dangling Elliott for draft picks but if he doesn't get at least a couple 1st rd picks he'll keep him. Elliott is still a great RB its just the Cowboys fall way behind and he isn't running a lot.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Jerry's pride is always going to be a factor, and for that reason his decisions will always be ones that don't cause him to lose face. Can't see him blow up the entire offense, but I think he will completely overhaul the defense and probably try for a new QB. Elliott and Dak aren't going anywhere unless they start trash talking the team and Jerry or causing some other kind of disruption. McCarthy does seem like an easy target, too, just because he could be a scapegoat (and lets face it, his coaching has been mediocre).
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

More NFL nEWS....

- The Bengals have moved Carlos Dunlap (DE) after the player posted on his twitter he was putting his house up for sale comically. The team traded him to the Seattle Seahawks today for a 7th rd pick and offensive lineman B.J Finney . Dunlap's playing time was cut a lot and he only saw 11 snaps defensively last week. He was seen arguing with coaches over lack of playing time as well. Dunlap leaves the Bengals with 82.5 career sacks in 11 seasons.

- Dallas has continued shaking up its worse defense. Today the team informed Dontari Poe (DT) and Daryl Worley (CB) both men will be cut unless they find a trade partner. Poe has been so bad after signing a 2 year deal for $9 million he ranks as one of the worst defensive linemen this season. Worley as well has given up 10 of the teams 12 big pass plays.

- Atlanta is basically looking to trade former 1st rd pick Takkarist McKinley (DE) as the team feels he's not performed at the level of a 1st rd pick. The team declined his 5th year option earlier and the team is looking to trade him before Tuesday's trade deadline.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

So who's going to blow their team up?

Dallas? New England? Bengals? Jets? Panthers? Texans?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post

The Jets already blew their team up more or less. Not much trade assets left really beyond Darnold. They moved Jamal Adams for no reason in a trade because him and Gase didn't get along. Carolina is actually doing better than expected. New England really doesn't have much left to blow up beyond Edelman and some defensive stars. Houston has Watt.

There really isn't much BIG NAME stars left on those teams and Bengals are already moving disgruntled players out as we saw.

Not sure about he whole team, but I think the Cowboys will blow up their defense. Three of the free agents they signed in the off-season are either gone or about to be, I think Nolan is a bye week away from being a scapegoat, and I can see them possibly moving on from some of the disappointments in their linebacking corps or defensive players they signed to extensions this offseason and rebuilding the defense from scratch. DeMarcus Lawrence might be the only one not under consideration in such a blow up, and even he is having a disappointing season. However, I see Dallas returning to the O-line emphasis in the draft next year and in the next few with T. Smith becoming fragile and Frederick retiring.

-M

edit to add: We'll no longer speculation, both Poe and Worley were released earlier today.
    Last edited by MRP; 10-28-2020 at 11:34 PM.
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Saw some early odds for Eagles vs. Cowboys on Sunday night, and Philly is a 7.5 point FAVORITE. Even as Eagles fan, I found it bogus. Okay, the game is here in Philly, and the home team usually gets three points right off the top, but the Birds are in no way THAT much better than Dallas, despite the ‘Boys rolling with a third string quarterback as the starter. That is crazy!

Saw some early odds for Eagles vs. Cowboys on Sunday night, and Philly is a 7.5 point FAVORITE. Even as Eagles fan, I found it bogus. Okay, the game is here in Philly, and the home team usually gets three points right off the top, but the Birds are in no way THAT much better than Dallas, despite the ‘Boys rolling with a third string quarterback as the starter. That is crazy!
    Nothing would be better for people who can't stand the Cowboys' ever-present prime-time scheduling than to see them embarrass the hell out of themselves on the national stage. I don't know if the Eagles are going to win big, but they're sure not gonna have a problem moving the ball against a historically bad defense... and that just got worse by trading Everson Griffin and cutting Dontarri Poe. And I don't expect an offense who has lost every starter on their O-Line, and has a third-string rookie QB making his first start is gonna do well on the road (even with the crowd noise down because of a pandemic). Like... there's no one to block for Zeke. There's not time to throw the ball and some 7th round pick is winging it out to Amari Cooper while risking pick sixes... what Dallas does the rest of the way might make the Jets look competent as we head down the stretch.

This Cowboys/Eagles matchup is one of 5, yes FIVE times that Dallas was put in prime-time this year. Six if you count their afternoon Thanksgiving game against Washington as the afternoon game that day. They're still supposed to play on Thursday Night Football against the Ravens in Week 13, and Sunday Night Football against San Francisco in Week 15.

The last one is the only game that they can be flexed out of, and it seems highly likely there's gonna be a match-up with playoff implications that NBC will swap them out for (Chiefs vs. Saints that week seems the most likely suspect), because they're already cleaning house halfway through the year before the trade deadline.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    He would likely sack McCarthy . Remember the knock on Mike McCarthy is he changes NOTHING and is kinda lazy as a coach. A fact that one ex-player was comically announcing a game and called out what routes and more McCarthy was running play after play. And he hadn't been with the team for a 4-5 seasons. I can see him dangling Elliott for draft picks but if he doesn't get at least a couple 1st rd picks he'll keep him. Elliott is still a great RB its just the Cowboys fall way behind and he isn't running a lot.
    McCarthy is a more pleasant version of Adam Gase. Utterly overrated and flawed but gained a positive reputation because they had an all time QB masking their coaching deficiencies. With Gase it was Peyton Manning.

Don't know if we are talking about the same player, the name escapes me, but last year there was a ex Green Bay linebacker on ESPN radio basically trashing McCarthy's ability as a coach talking about how he hadn't played for Green Bay since 2010 but he could still tell exactly what they were going to run in McCarthy's last season in Green Bay. One has to wonder how many rings Rodgers might have if he hadn't been saddled with McCarthy through his prime.

I'm not convinced New England is out of it yet. I've seen some speculation that Cam might still be sick from Covid. He looked great his first two weeks then he got Covid and now he looks awful. Even after your "over" it you can still be negatively affected for weeks or months as is happening with the Jaguar RB who is now out for the season with Covid after affects. If Cam gets back to normal they are fine. Bills suddenly look mortal and while the Dolphins have looked much better than most expected they are probably going to fall away unless Tua is amazing.

Patriots are looking to blow up the roster. With Edelman out now, Cam and the Pats have no offense.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/n...st-anyone/amp/

https://syndication.bleacherreport.c...dline.amp.html

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/10/29/tr...-*******rumors

Gilmore, Thuney, and the now injured Edelman are the top trade rumors.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 10-29-2020 at 11:04 PM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by TriggerWarning View Post
    I'm not convinced New England is out of it yet. I've seen some speculation that Cam might still be sick from Covid. He looked great his first two weeks then he got Covid and now he looks awful. Even after your "over" it you can still be negatively affected for weeks or months as is happening with the Jaguar RB who is now out for the season with Covid after affects. If Cam gets back to normal they are fine. Bills suddenly look mortal and while the Dolphins have looked much better than most expected they are probably going to fall away unless Tua is amazing.
    If the Pats lose to Buffalo on Sunday, they'll be three games behind the AFC East leading Bills with nearly half the season done. That's a tough road to hoe with a rickety offense and a sketchy defense, not even Darth Hoodie can make chicken salad out of that chicken ****.

If the Pats lose to Buffalo on Sunday, they'll be three games behind the AFC East leading Bills with nearly half the season done. That's a tough road to hoe with a rickety offense and a sketchy defense, not even Darth Hoodie can make chicken salad out of that chicken ****.
    Not with a defense that took the year off because of Covid-19 and with an offense whose remaining weapons are... Rex Burkhead?

I don't think that this level of talent void is covered in Belichek's bargain with Mephistopheles, no.