Page 45 of 126 FirstFirst ... 354142434445464748495595 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2020 Season

The playoff picture is starting to come into view now that we're approaching the season's halfway point (and we all remember, oh yeah, 7 teams get in per conference this year).

In the AFC:

1. Pittsburgh 6-0
    2. Kansas City 7-1
    3. Tennessee 5-1
    4. Buffalo 5-2

Wild Cards

5. Baltimore 5-1
    6. Cleveland 5-2
    7. Indianapolis 4-2

Outside Looking In Right Now

8. Miami 3-3
    9. Las Vegas 3-3

Analysis: KC, Baltimore, and Pittsburgh seem like locks, and the class of the conference. Cleveland, Tennessee, and Buffalo... it depends what week it is, but they seem like playoff teams (although, the Browns still are the Browns). Indianapolis, Miami, and Vegas will likely be fighting for that last playoff spot all through December.

In the NFC:

1. Green Bay 5-1
    2. Seattle 5-1
    3. Tampa Bay 5-2
    4. Philadelphia Eagles 2-4-1

Wild Cards

5. Chicago 5-2
    6. Arizona 5-2
    7. LA Rams 5-2

Outside Looking In Right Now

8. New Orleans 4-2
    9. San Francisco 4-3
    10. Detroit 3-3

Analysis: Unlike the AFC's three juggernaut teams, the NFC playoff contenders all seem far more wide open. Green Bay has Aaron Rodgers playing at a ridiculous level and throwing to ??? every week, Seattle has Russell Wilson with some great WRs but an uncharacteristically weak defense, and Tampa Bay is becoming the threat people thought they would be when you give Tom Brady countless weapons to work with. Of the division winners... that 4 seed out of the NFC East is going to be a story to watch, and Philly seems the most likely suspect for it. Whether they're a "one and done" depends on if that team can in any way get healthy by playoff time. Make no mistake, if the Eagles do anything this year, their team MVP should be the training staff.

Here's the real story, though... look at the 5 through 10 teams... only three of the six are in. And right now... does it feel right to count anyone out (maybe Detroit)? Like, San Francisco is 4-3 with COUNTLESS injuries. If they get healthy? How long can they hold up with what they're doing right now? Maybe they're not the one you'd expect to come off the bubble and back into the playoffs, given that. The Saints seem like a team you'd expect to get in... so if they move off the bubble, which of the three are gonna fall to them? Can Kyler Murray still keep dragging Arizona to victories? Is Chicago's lack of a QB and terrible offense going to do them in? Can the Rams' defense keep them winning, in spite of Jared Goff's limitations under center?

The NFC is gonna keep people talking until all 16 games are played. It's gonna come down to the last day. Almost certain of it.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Just got an alert that the Ravens are going to sign Dez Bryant to their practice squad after a workout.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Just got an alert that the Ravens are going to sign Dez Bryant to their practice squad after a workout.
    Do they need knock-off TO/Michael Irvin with all the drama and baggage he carries?
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Do they need knock-off TO/Michael Irvin with all the drama and baggage he carries?
    To be fair I don't think Bryant causes much drama anymore. He barely has seen the field since injuries impacted his career after he left Dallas. Of course he was slowing way down then. Like an AJ Green right now. His yards per catch had slipped and been outta the league since 2018 as he was injured.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

AB with the Buccaneers, Dez Bryant with the Ravens. My money is on AB doing better, but only by a couple of degrees F. Though he's still crazy. At least Bryant seems more even keeled nowadays.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Compared to AB, Dez is the model of emotional stability. I think Bryant will help Baltimore more than AB will help Tampa.

I'm not asking about who's better or who will do better.

Do the Raven's really need Dez? They seem to be fine in the WR category.

AB is just a salve or balm for Brady to make him feel heard in TB. He'll be good from some plays and then something will happen and Gronk and Godwin (when he comes back) will be TB12's targets for the playoff run with some random RB TDs. We've seen this story before.

I'm more interested in if people actually think the Ravens need WR support. I would think their secondary needs more help given the injuries if they're going for a playoff run.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

I'm not asking about who's better or who will do better.

Do the Raven's really need Dez? They seem to be fine in the WR category.

AB is just a salve or balm for Brady to make him feel heard in TB. He'll be good from some plays and then something will happen and Gronk and Godwin (when he comes back) will be TB12's targets for the playoff run with some random RB TDs. We've seen this story before.

I'm more interested in if people actually think the Ravens need WR support. I would think their secondary needs more help given the injuries if they're going for a playoff run.
    Perhaps the Ravens are thinking you can never have enough weapons on offense what with Patrick Mahomes and Kansas City in their conference.

I'd say the Ravens needed Bryant, because their line of scrimmage has still been too crowded and Jackson is still getting sacked too much. Bryant is a deep threat but he also can catch passes over the middle. He's going to help them especially come playoff time, assuming that he holds it together and isn't too rusty.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Perhaps the Ravens are thinking you can never have enough weapons on offense what with Patrick Mahomes and Kansas City in their conference.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    I'd say the Ravens needed Bryant, because their line of scrimmage has still been too crowded and Jackson is still getting sacked too much. Bryant is a deep threat but he also can catch passes over the middle. He's going to help them especially come playoff time, assuming that he holds it together and isn't too rusty.
    Fair points.

Stretching the field could help pull people off the line while also giving Jackson somebody flashy to maybe put some deep routes on to spread teams out more, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Fair points.

Stretching the field could help pull people off the line while also giving Jackson somebody flashy to maybe put some deep routes on to spread teams out more, too.
    Of course by 2018 when he was released the breakaway speed and separation skills were treading downwards. Its why Dallas released him in 2018. Add rust and an injury after it ...he's not gonna be the 2014 Dez Bryant or isn't that same guy. He's not gonna stretch the field for Jackson given his skill set was slipping his last season in Dallas.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...level-receiver
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Of course by 2018 when he was released the breakaway speed and separation skills were treading downwards. Its why Dallas released him in 2018. Add rust and an injury after it ...he's not gonna be the 2014 Dez Bryant or isn't that same guy. He's not gonna stretch the field for Jackson given his skill set was slipping his last season in Dallas.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...level-receiver
    I don't know why they would need Dez to stretch the field... Hollywood Brown kinda does that all by himself with 4.32 speed.

If anything, you want Brown to do that, and Bryant to be reliable in the slot.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Just because they signed Dez to the practice squad is no guarantee he sees the field as part of the 53 man roster on any Sunday this season. In a season with lots of injuries and Covid making players unavailable, signing him to the practice squad is a cheap move to provide some depth and insurance in case something happens to their receivers while giving him time to get up to speed on their offensive schemes and playbook. He may never see the active roster if nothing happens, but as a contingency, it is not a bad move. For Dez, it's an opportunity to show he still has something on the practice squad, and if he doesn't get a shot in Baltimore, another team can sign him off the practice squad if they have injuries or Covid losses, so it's an opportunity for him even if he doesn't reach the field with the Ravens.

AB was signed to a regular contract and will be on the 53 man roster for TB, and will see action on the field. There's a big difference between the contracts for the two, not so much in dollars, but in what it means for their immediate playing time and opportunities.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I don't know why they would need Dez to stretch the field... Hollywood Brown kinda does that all by himself with 4.32 speed.

If anything, you want Brown to do that, and Bryant to be reliable in the slot.
    Yep. Bryant mainly has to prove he has his head together and can work with Jackson effectively. The year after Romo left in Dallas, he had a great deal of trouble adjusting to that and other changes on the Cowboy's offense. Lots of dropped passes that I can only assume was a mental thing.

Its funny, Dallas replaced him with Amari Cooper whose hands have proven only a little better than Bryant's hands. Certainly Cooper hasn't ever brought them back to the Bryant/Romo glory days. In fact they've been sliding and sliding and sliding down since Romo. Dallas is a now a certified mess. In the rear view mirror, Bryant's on the field antics look more like a symptom of the coming problems in Dallas rather than any kind of cause.

Lamar Jackson could well end up being good for Bryant's rehabilitation.

It was a somewhat busy day in NFL...

- Carolina released former 1st rd pick of NY Giants , Eli Apple (CB) today. Apple had battled injuries after signing a 1 year deal this season. He took only 26 snaps last week against the New Orleans Saints and suffered a hamstring issue in practice. The Panthers went ahead and cut him today.

- The Cowboys managed to trade Everson Griffin (DE) to the Detroit Lions for a 6th rd pick. Griffin tweeted he was a -- hungry dog ready to eat in Detroit and thanked the Cowboys for the opportunity this year. This will save the Cowboys half of Griffin's $6 million salary.