Page 7 of 126 FirstFirst ... 345678910111757107 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2020 Season

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Otto Graham is forgotten a lot . I mean the man played 10 seasons (1946-1955) and took the Browns to 10 straight championships. Winning 7 of them . How important was Graham ? He retired after 1954 season and Paul Brown met with him during training camp and talked him into 1 more season and making him the NFL's highest paid player. He won a championship his final season . That era rarely gets mentioned now.

QB is a position where a number of guys can be listed . Some sadly like Dan Fouts , Dan Marino and more never won a championship through Hall of Fame careers. Some guys were huge athletes who had terrible NFL careers. One was Jeff George. Its said George had a damn cannon for an arm. But clashed with coaches every stop he made until he finally was not welcome in NFL .
    Most fans would probably say that football didn't exist before the Super Bowl era and have ignored or are ignorant of the excellence of players like Graham. As for Jeff George, he was the classic example of a guy with a million dollar arm and a ten cent head. The only way he gets into Canton is with a ticket.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Captain, in Order to build a better world, sometimes means tearing the old one down... And that makes enemies.

I am really hyped for tonights game. I like the Bengals chances. But if The Browns decide they have decent Running Backs and stop trying to force feed OBJ then Cincy is in for a rough game.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Burrow looks like the real thing.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Everyone here is Cincy said this was a run away game for the Bengals. I got yelled at because I pointed out The Bengals blow Gimmie games and primetime games.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Burrow looks like the real thing.
    Rest of the team looks like same ol Cincy. Specially this line yikes. Miles Garrett just made a fool out of the right interior and got Joe rocked in the process.

Nick Chubb is eating.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Ah its that part of the season when the Browns fans can dare to believe.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Well they did beat a shitty Cicny team. So of course Browns fan thinks they are going to the super bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    It's like they've forgotten the number of Bengals/Browns games that were referred to as "The Toilet Bowl" and winning them proves nothing about your team.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    Well they did beat a shitty Cicny team. So of course Browns fan thinks they are going to the super bowl.
    Lol, wonder how many of those Browns fans have made arrangements for a trip to Tampa
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I wouldn't mind conceding that Brady is the best ever to play quarterback, he has the titles, he has the numbers, there's no denying his place in NFL history, but I'm of the opinion that Joe Montana is the greatest. After all, Joe Cool is unbeaten in four trips to the Super Bowl, and he pulled off that feat in an era when the competition was tougher and passers weren't protected to the near fanatical degree they are today. Still, arguing over stuff like this is great fun!
    The competition was tougher? It was the 80’s. The SB was a joke. The AFC teams were all garbage. Whoever won the NFC was winning easily, that’s why he was 4-0. He also was benched in the playoffs during that 3 year gap between his 2nd and 3rd. Also it was the pre salary cap era and Montana had teams that today we would consider super teams around him.

Quote Originally Posted by KNIGHT OF THE LAKE View Post
    The competition was tougher? It was the 80’s. The SB was a joke. The AFC teams were all garbage. Whoever won the NFC was winning easily, that’s why he was 4-0. He also was benched in the playoffs during that 3 year gap between his 2nd and 3rd. Also it was the pre salary cap era and Montana had teams that today we would consider super teams around him.
    Gotta add that Brady gave New England the lead late in the 4th quarter of two of his three Super Bowl losses. Like, the margin of error was "Eli Manning pulls game out of his ass by throwing downfield desperately to a receiver who would make a miraculous catch that was the highlight of their career".

It's honestly that close to him having 8 rings, which... I don't want to give the Patriots any more credit, but honestly, it is that close to that level of dominance.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 09-19-2020 at 05:45 AM.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Gotta add that Brady gave New England the lead late in the 4th quarter of both of his Super Bowl losses. Like, the margin of error was "Eli Manning pulls game out of his ass by throwing downfield desperately to a receiver who would make a miraculous catch that was the highlight of their career".

It's honestly that close to him having 8 rings, which... I don't want to give the Patriots any more credit, but honestly, it is that close to that level of dominance.
    And even in the Eagles game he was literally setting SB passing records while his defense couldn’t get a stop.

Back to my original point from 1981 to 1996 the AFC won exactly one Super Bowl during that time frame (Super Bowl 18 in the 1983 season) that encompasses the 49’ers and the Cowboys dynasties. Most of those games were blowouts. The SB wasn’t what it was today. It was pretty much known as a coronation game for the NFC team that made it out of the playoffs. Meanwhile Brady’s first SB was against the Greatest Show on Turf the year they had a defense that was league leading, he played probably the two best ever Eagles teams in franchise history, the Legion of Boom, a Rams team that was up their with the 2018 Chiefs as far as crazy dominance, a Giants team that went through some of the best teams in the league to get there, and a Falcons team was setting efficiency records.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Gotta add that Brady gave New England the lead late in the 4th quarter of two of his three Super Bowl losses. Like, the margin of error was "Eli Manning pulls game out of his ass by throwing downfield desperately to a receiver who would make a miraculous catch that was the highlight of their career".

At the same time you can credit some of those wins to the defense more than Brady. Especially his first against the Rams and the one against Seattle. Many of the Pat's wins were close enough to go either way. So it's also close to having a .500 record.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Brady would easily have 3-5 rings in his prime sans Bill. Maybe even out of his prime.

Bill would easily have 3-5 rings sans Brady.

Then instead of Patriots dominating while having Manning and co interrupting things, the narrative could easily have been the SBs being dominated by the Pats and a Brady-led team for the last 20 years.

Which to me would be the worse than a solid Pats dynasty because then lots of other good players like Brees, Rodgers, maybe even a Manning would be lost in the undertow of that current.

I know it is a silly and fun argument to have but the fact is Pats are still the bar for decades to come and Brady is the GOAT till the NFL version of Pele comes along. Maybe they are there now? The ship has sailed I think for a time.

Time to see if the Chiefs will rise, Russell is legit, etc. I guess I am on to new things.

But it sure is fun to speculate, so don't take this as absolute.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium