Page 32 of 126 FirstFirst ... 222829303132333435364282 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2020 Season

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    And I think the Falcons have the basics of a team foundation, but were undermined by a very bad coach who had probably lost his players.
    Now the silly thought is if the Falcons should have a Dolphins type fire sale and stockpile draft picks. And that is moronic. Julio Jones is 31 , Ridley is in his 20's. You have Gurley as well in his 20's. All you need to do is draft and build some on defense and they could have something. I still think the owner over reacted to losing with a bad coaching and decided the GM was at fault.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Taylor View Post
    Prescott wanted to get the most he could, thats how you negotiate. Sounds like you fall on the "Dak was being a money-grubber" side of things.
    There is the possibility in the Prescott/Jones argument of "it's a little of column A and a little of column B".

Me, I feel for Dak in betting on himself and then getting injured, but I'm not gonna act like he shouldn't have compromised a little better because $30 million is an obscene amount of money and he was playing with a great line, great RB, and really good receivers. You're never going to win if you aren't at least a little reasonable because at some point, some money should be spent on that god-awful defense.

You don't take a Tom Brady level discount, but don't set the team up to be handicapped by the salary cap for the last decade of your career, y'know?
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    Now the silly thought is if the Falcons should have a Dolphins type fire sale and stockpile draft picks. And that is moronic. Julio Jones is 31 , Ridley is in his 20's. You have Gurley as well in his 20's. All you need to do is draft and build some on defense and they could have something. I still think the owner over reacted to losing with a bad coaching and decided the GM was at fault.
    I asked myself today if the Cardinals should trade a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick to snag a pass rusher to replace Chandler Jones for the rest of the season, and thought of Atlanta...

And then I thought, "Do they even have a decent pass rusher? No one's coming to mind. (They have Dante Fowler, but this is also a 4-3 defense and not a 3-4...)"

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    I asked myself today if the Cardinals should trade a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick to snag a pass rusher to replace Chandler Jones for the rest of the season, and thought of Atlanta...

And then I thought, "Do they even have a decent pass rusher? No one's coming to mind. (They have Dante Fowler, but this is also a 4-3 defense and not a 3-4...)"
    By all accounts the belief is the Falcons need to upgrade the defense. They are in the Chiefs situation. The Chiefs need to upgrade draft wise the defense and all. To help the team . Atlanta's next GM comes into a situation where according to Overthecap the Falcons will have a very tight salary cap situation. (Right now its estimated Atlanta could be $24+ million over the cap...before it gets adjusted for 2021).
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    By all accounts the belief is the Falcons need to upgrade the defense. They are in the Chiefs situation. The Chiefs need to upgrade draft wise the defense and all. To help the team . Atlanta's next GM comes into a situation where according to Overthecap the Falcons will have a very tight salary cap situation. (Right now its estimated Atlanta could be $24+ million over the cap...before it gets adjusted for 2021).
    Looking at Atlanta's defense... Keanu Neal and a bunch of guys. I recognize the name Dante Fowler, but I never felt like he's lived up to being a 1st round pick.

Week 6 "WHO'S COOKIN' ON THE HOTSEAT?/FIRE THIS COACH!" Watch

ALREADY FIRED AFTER WEEK 4: Bill O'Brien

7. (The Lukewarm seat) Vic Fangio: A reminder, Fangio has already made headlines this off-season for some out of touch comments on race, and now he's refusing to wear a mask on the sidelines, costing him a $100K fine from the league, and getting the Broncos fined another $250K. When on-field woes meet with giving the team a black eye off the field... Fangio might only get 2 years in Denver... however on Thursday Night Football in Week 4, Fangio had undrafted rookie QB Brett Rypien lead the Broncos (primarily Melvin Gordon and Jerry Jeudy, really) to a victory, getting him temporarily off the hot seat... but then again, they only beat the Jets, so let's not act like this is a complete reversal of fortune. The Broncos had this Sunday off because multiple Patriots players have tested positive for Covid-19, which would have had us pause from looking to closely at Fangio as a potential "FIRED" guy this week... but this guy won't shut his stupid f***ing mouth. He declared that Covid-19 is showing "who the whiners are" around the NFL, which is one of the dumbest "fake tough guy" quotes I think I've seen in some time about a disease that's killed 210,000 people. If it were only "on the field" failings, I think Fangio would be in trouble, but that AND his mouth are making him a likely candidate for getting the boot. He's only "lukewarm" because his team hasn't played, and when it has, it's riddled with injuries he can use as an excuse.

6. Mike Zimmer: The Vikings were supposedly "just a QB away" from winning a Super Bowl with the impeccable defense they had, and they spent BIG for Kirk Cousins. Then they traded away Stephon Diggs, and their defense officially "got a case of the olds" going into 2020. Minnesota is improbably 1-4 and looking WAY, WAY up at both the Bears and Packers in this division. Hell, right now they're even looking up at the Lions, who are only 1-3. His team was up 13-0 over the Seahawks in the 3rd Quarter of Sunday Night Football, and then Russell Wilson decided to make MVP voters pay attention by leading Seattle on a comeback that included 3 TDs against the Vikes in under two minutes. Then in the 4th Quarter, Mike Zimmer made the call to go for it on 4th and 1 from Seattle's six yard line and rather than kick the FG and go up by eight. Well, they failed to convert that and AGAIN Russell Wilson drove the Seahawks down for a TD, which was enough to change a five point deficit into a 1 point win. Zimmer, post-game, defended that decision, because his offense was averaging five yards a carry, and a FG would still would still have been a one-score game... but a TD and two-point conversion after a 2 minute drill? That would have only triggered an overtime? Look, hindsight's always 20-20, but c'mon, how many times do we have to see Mike Zimmer psych himself out of a win before it's a pattern?

5. Doug Marrone: I haven't had Doug Marrone on my list, mostly because I honestly thought he got fired at the end of the 2019 season... but NOPE, he's still down in the swamps of Jacksonville. We're now going to three years removed from the Jaguars being up on the Patriots with 10 minutes to go in the AFC Championship Game, and the number of players from that 53-man squad still in Jacksonville is 7. That's it, they only have seven guys left. They have had two Top 5 picks from recent drafts in Jalen Ramsey and Leonard Fournette flat-out escape this franchise. They've had two double-digit loss seasons coming into this one, and now having dropped to 1-4 after a loss to the Texans, who were winless going into that game after firing Bill O'Brien, look like they'll have a third straight double-digit loss season. Sure, Gardner Minshew is likable with his ability to twirl his moustache like he just tied a woman to train tracks, but the team identity of "hairy upper lip" isn't exactly something to build a franchise around. Shad Khan is one of the more patient owners in the league (hell, he let Gus Bradley stick around to build the worst losing percentage in coaching history), but if Arthur Blank could fire Dan Quinn mid-season, anything's possible. The OC on this team is Jay Gruden, who has former head coaching experience, and could end up taking over at the BYE week.

4. Matt Patricia: Not a lot of updates here, but the Lions fail to get a winning streak going, and drop to 1-3 after a loss to the Saints. Matt Patricia still has this squad 3 games back of the Packers already in the division, and they've now had their BYE week. Coming out of it, they get to face a 1-4 Jacksonville team, and whichever team's coach that wins that game has the good fortune to escape this list.

3. Joe Judge The Giants are 0-5, and Daniel Jones looks like the draft bust he was predicted he'd be, passing for only 222 yards and ZERO TOUCHDOWNS against one of the worst defenses, if not the worst defense in the NFL. Seriously, you scored 34 points, 12 were FGs, one was a pick-six TD, and you had the other two TDs on the ground from Devonta Freeman and Evan Engram. You read that last part right, their star TE has to rush the ball to get in the end zone, because Daniel Jones ain't throwing it in there to anybody. So the G-Men put up 34 points, but lost by 3 to a Dallas team that couldn't be stopped even after Dak Prescott had a dark wizard appear and cast "Avada Kevadra" on his ankle. This team might still be good enough to squeak out some wins against an injured Eagles squad, or the WTF by year's end. There's a reason it's called the NFC (L)East these days, but if the bloodlust of New York's sports fans doesn't get sated by the potential firing of Adam Gase, they might still be hungry enough to also want the head of Joe Judge, who's in way over it.

Joe Judge is probably not a name you've heard, in general, as New York's coach. You will be for the rest of the year. He was formerly New England's assistant special teams coach. How he got elevated to his first HC gig... lord only knows. How the Giants have not paid attention to how everything on the Belichek coaching tree has died on the vine through the past 20 years... yeah... don't know. What we do know is, Joe Judge made his players run sprints when he wasn't happy with them prior to this season, and the only thing that will save his ass to get a second season will be if he blames Daniel Jones, GM Dave Gettleman, or injuries for his woes. But it's gonna be a long year for the G-Men.

2. Adam Gase: No one believes in this guy in that locker room. Four weeks ago, they got wrecked by the 49ers backups. Then the Colts, a team fielding a displaced Philip Rivers and his 52 children, walked all over them without any real effort. The Jets are now 0-5, and are losing by an average of about 18 points a game. Sam Darnold is still out with an injury so the team might be led by Joe Flacco for awhile, but Darnold? That kid sees more ghosts than Pac-Man. Meanwhile, Flacco's got the problem where he makes the mistake of hitting his receiving corps in the hands with passes. SO MANY DROPS. The only guy the Jets on offense who can catch the ball is Jamison Crowder. The Jets lost 30-10 to Arizona this past Sunday, giving up 380 yards of passing yards and 496 total yards in the sixth game the Jets have lost by 20 or more points since the start of 2019. That's about 30% of the time that the J-E-T-S are blown out by three TDs with Ol' Bug Eyes as head coach. Adam Gase is a likely candidate to get fired in Week 10, when the Jets enter their BYE week. He deserved to be fired before Bill O'Brien and our next entry...

1. Dan Quinn: A week after blowing a 17 point lead to the Cowboys featuring on an onside kick recovered by Dallas in Week 2, Quinn managed to outdo himself and blow an 18 point fourth quarter lead in Week 3. After handling the Bears for three quarters, Chicago benched Mitchell Trubisky and put Nick Foles in. The Falcons defense promptly started to fold like a proverbial house of cards, and the Bears actually had to have their defense out to protect THEIR lead in the final drive. This is the first time in over two decades that an NFL team has blown two leads of greater than fifteen points in the same season, and it only took Dan Quinn THREE WEEKS to do it. At least he didn't blow a 4th Quarter lead against the Packers on Monday Night Football in Week 4, but that's because the Packers and Aaron Rodgers simply carved up Atlanta in front of a national viewing audience like they were a honey-glazed ham. They then had a chance at redemption in playing the Carolina Panthers in Week 5 who are playing without Christian McCaffrey and have a retread QB in Teddy Bridgewater, no other real offensive threats, and lost their best defender this past offseason... and lost to that Carolina team by a touchdown. The Falcons are 0-5, and Arthur Blank... ARTHUR BLANK OF ALL PEOPLE fired Dan Quinn mid-season and promoted DC Raheem Morris to be the new head coach. At least the team won't have the coach who oversaw 28-3 at the helm anymore.
    Last edited by worstblogever; 10-13-2020 at 04:46 AM.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Good work as usual on the Hot Seat Watch, WBE. Regarding Adam Gase, it wouldn’t shock me if the Jets keep him for the entire season to stink up the joint in order to better their chances at landing the number one pick in the draft. And if the Giants decide Daniel Jones isn’t the answer, they too might go into full blown “Tank For Trevor” mode.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

The problem is NFL teams don't really tank. No coach is going to intentionally blow a season because that would be professional suicide. Players aren't going to tank because their future income is based on how well they play. No QB is going to throw games to allow them to draft their replacement.
    Sometimes teams just suck, but I have yet to see any intentionally lose.
    The only thing might be a front office that doesn't help a bad team.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The only thing might be a front office that doesn't help a bad team.
    The scenario you only usually see in the movie "Major League".

No, you can't, there is no team that needs a QB that badly to give up a first round for a guy who is under performing so much. Tribisky is there for the taking.

If the Jets do so badly that they can get Lawrence, they better have a better coach than Gase, or they will ruin him too.
    Ah, burn. I'm just sayin', we know guys have been 1st rounders twice, a rarity but it can happen, I'm a Colts fan I've seen it first hand. Goff was not the guy he is now when Jeff Fisher was the coach, I just don't think Darnold is that bad. I'm becoming sympathetic if for no other reason he's the best NY NFL QB right now (Flacco being 2nd). Only problem is there isn't another sucker lower than the Jets to take on the bet, for now. That's the other thing- they absolutely will ruin Lawrence, Johnson doesn't know what he's doing and that franchise stinks so bad it's repellent to any competent coach, it's all kind of fascinating really. I'm sayin' it, this Phil Rivers things is working out how I figured and Darnold may have more upside than what's being shown. I'm kicking tires on him already.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Darnold is a good QB. He needed the right coaching to bring him into the NFL. He did not get it and his career will suffer for it. As he looks now, they will not get a 1st round pick for him. He is in his third year, that means a team next year will only have him for one year on his rookie contract. I can't think of a bad team that would trade for him instead of drafting a QB if they need one.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Back 3+ years ago in the 2017 NFL Draft , Steve Steve Mariucci named 2 QB's at the top of his NFL Draft board then. 1 was DeShone Kizer and the other was Mitchell Trubisky. He had Mahomes and others ranked as possible 2nd rd QB's or 2nd day ones.

But in looking at that 2017 Draft its amazing to see just how many players are either having 5th year options declined as they are likely busts , traded or cut. (I'll skip over the stars of the draft like Myles Garrett , Christian McCaffrey and Pat Mahomes)

-2: Mitchell Trubisky : Had his 5th year option declined in spring. Was recently benched in Chicago could mean his career is over there.
    -3: Solomon Thomas : Had his 5th year option declined in spring. Has only 6 sacks in 3 seasons and 3 came in his rookie year. Recently injured with ACL and career looks done there.
    -4: Leonard Fournette : Had 5th year option declined in spring. Was not a bust on field as his attitude ticked off Jaguars management. Was cut days before week 1.
    -5: Corey Davis : Had his 5th year option declined in spring. Due to declining numbers as a WR the Titans gave him a make or break year.
    -6: Jamal Adams : No way is Adams a bust , the NY Jets basically hit a situation where the team and Adams broke apart and he was traded away. A loss for NY Jets.
    -9: John Ross : Had his 5th year option declined in spring. Unless he has a huge 2020 (unlikely as he only has 2 receptions thus far) this will go down as a huge bust for Bengals.
    -13: Haason Reddick : Had his 5th year option declined in spring. Unless he has a huge 2020 for Arizona is likely done.
    -15: Malik Hooker : Had his 5th year option declined in spring. Career likely done in Indy as he tore his Achilles ending his 2020 season.
    -20: Garrett Bolles : Had his 5th year option declined in spring. Was criticized by GM John Elway for holding flags as he has most in NFL in 1 year. Unless he has big year its over.
    -21: Jarrad Davis : Had his 5th year option declined in spring. Unless he has big year for Detroit will be gone.
    -22: Charles Harris : Was traded by Miami for a 7th rd pick in May. The Falcons declined his 5th year option. Had only 3.5 sacks as a DE in 3 seasons for Miami.
    -24: Gareon Conley : Was traded by Raiders for a 3rd rd pick in 2019 to Houston. The Texans declined his 5th year option in 2020.
    -26: Takkarist McKinley : Had his 5th year option declined in spring. After a declining 2019 season McKinley has a make or break season in Atlanta in 2020.
    -28: Taco Charlton : Was cut by the Dallas Cowboys in 2019 where he only had 4 sacks in 2 seasons ! Currently plays for...Kansas City.
    -31: Reuban Foster : Was cut by 49ers after off field issues in 2018. Was signed by Washington as a **** you move to league and hasn't played a down in 2 seasons.

I'd have listed Peppers here but the Browns got back OBJ in the trade and that was pretty decent value for the move. But overall....damn. Half the league is either giving players make or break years or ready to move on asap. Or already did with trades and cutting them.

Darnold is a good QB. He needed the right coaching to bring him into the NFL. He did not get it and his career will suffer for it. As he looks now, they will not get a 1st round pick for him. He is in his third year, that means a team next year will only have him for one year on his rookie contract. I can't think of a bad team that would trade for him instead of drafting a QB if they need one.
    Adam Gase could do f*** all with Ryan Tannehill in Miami. Then he goes to Tennessee, and suddenly is a decent option as a starter.

Same could happen for Darnold with a better coach.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

I wonder if Darth Hoodie might take a flyer on Trubisky? It’s pretty much a given the Bears will cut him loose after the season, could Belichick and Josh McDaniels turn Trubisky around, or is he a lost cause?
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Adam Gase could do f*** all with Ryan Tannehill in Miami. Then he goes to Tennessee, and suddenly is a decent option as a starter.

Same could happen for Darnold with a better coach.
    More than decent option, at Tenn. he had the best passer rating in the league for the 10 games he started last year.