Page 51 of 126 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561101 ... LastLast

Thread: NFL 2020 Season

Default Happy Retirement Joe

Kind of sad Friday for me as a sports radio honk. Today is Joe Beningo's last day on WFAN in New York who is retiring after 25 years doing sports talk radio. This guy has spoken to the downtrodden sports fan like nobodies, business, 'bro'. The last 25 years the Knicks have stunk, the Mets have only had a couple bites at success but it's the JETS that I know him best from. After a Colts win about three years ago on a Thursday night, he roasted the then Todd Bowles Jets so bad, I'm still crackin' up at it ("Future ambassador Aruba" lol). It's gonna be tough not hearing him call the JETS a disgrace for the upmteenth time in any given segment going forward. Joe and Evan, Evan and Joe made one of the last great voice of the fan teams left, I'm not a New Yorker and even I'll miss the passion.

I know rooting for a loser for years and honestly in the NFL that's about 75% of the teams season in an season out. Colts came to Indianapolis over 35 years now, sure they've have had a pretty good last 25 years considering, not for nothing and they've actually been in Indianapolis LONGER than they were in Baltimore at this point. They were the dreck of the league for 10 years from the time they got here until that 1995 season and then AGAIN until 18 came here couple years later. We WERE the JETS as in bottom of the barrel in the old AFC East.

I don't know if it's fitting or what that this is the worst Jets team ever or making it worse that pos Craig Carton- fresh out of prison is coming back to WFAN. Cementing, outside of Moose (NOT Maggie), that I have no reason to even punch the station up in the URL anymore. It's been a host of well wishers this past week. He even got to hear from the last best Jets QB in the franchise history... from 50 years ago.

Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Surf, I have moved to ESPN almost completely. I liked Joe and Evan too. I have given up on Boomer in the morning, his Sports analysis is great, but he is such a pro-Trump, anti-Democratic ass, I can't listen anymore.
    I think Micheal Kay is the best sports radio in NY, mainly because they know it is a comedy show that takes sports seriously.
    And thank God Francesco is gone.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I figure this was funny and politically neutral enough to share here:
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Surf, I have moved to ESPN almost completely. I liked Joe and Evan too. I have given up on Boomer in the morning, his Sports analysis is great, but he is such a pro-Trump, anti-Democratic ass, I can't listen anymore.
    Boomer's been a smug ahole years, he's most of the reason I don't watch CBS's pre-game, he and that fossil Simms. What's surprising is that pro-Trump reared it's head in a couple guys I used to listen too daily. Tony Bruno out of Philly for one, I listed to him for YEARS back when but when left terrestrial and went to Twitch the Trump stuff came out left me out. Steve Czaban for another, Czabe wasn't so much Trump cheerleader but he was moving closer to 'but a both sides' guy. He was hilarious though and then he became this big Covid denier, smh.

I think Micheal Kay is the best sports radio in NY, mainly because they know it is a comedy show that takes sports seriously.
    And thank God Francesco is gone.
    Yea I've got a few I still stick with on ESPN and my locals. I know of Kay but I'm not real familiar. Francessa though lol, the Mike Francessa implosion at the end of his run, then returned with the shitty App, then the retirement again was comedic gold. All within what, a year? He just got real old real fast and he was for a time.
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    Packers pulled Rogers to make sure he didn't get hurt. 49ers get two garbage time TDs to make the final 34-17. It wasn't anywhere near that close.
    SF's level of futility is approaching NFC Least levels. I tuned out at the half, because it became clear that SF's strategy wasn't so much winning as it was a game of keepaway from Aaron Rodgers.
    Every day is a gift, not a given right.

Did SF have most of their team out to COVID protocols? I knew they had some injuries by the scratches I saw were not IR related ...
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Did SF have most of their team out to COVID protocols? I knew they had some injuries by the scratches I saw were not IR related ...
    A little of column A and a little of column B.

Jimmy G and Greg Kittle were out do to a high ankle sprain, and foot fracture, respectively. Deebo Samuel has been out due to a variety of physical injuries, as has Tevin Coleman.

Brandon Aiyuk and a few others got Covid-19.
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.

A little of column A and a little of column B.

Jimmy G and Greg Kittle were out do to a high ankle sprain, and foot fracture, respectively. Deebo Samuel has been out due to a variety of physical injuries, as has Tevin Coleman.

Brandon Aiyuk and a few others got Covid-19.
    The explains the missing ones.

Man ... getting the injury bug sucks enough ... THEN ... you get COVID flying around ...

Sad day for 49ers fine.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Arizona's got two starters on defense out this weekend for their matchup with Miami, too. CB Byron Murphy and LB Davon Kennard.

Speaking of the Cardinals, rumor is they will jump at the chance to sign veteran CB Jonathon Joseph, because their secondary is already nicked up... even prior to Murphy testing positive for Covid-19.

I've seen Pittsburgh as much as a 15 point favorite for today's expected bloodbath against Dallas who will be starting Garrett Gilbert, a seventh year journeyman at quarterback. Oh, yeah, he'll also be the FOURTH QB lining up under center in just eight games for the 'Boys, and the third straight different passer in as many weeks, following Ben DiNucci and Andy Dalton. Yoiks! And to think Dallas was all but penciled in to win NFC Least and was a favorite to come out of the conference, now, it'll be a miracle if they manage to avoid ending up in the division basement.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    I've seen Pittsburgh as much as a 15 point favorite for today's expected bloodbath against Dallas who will be starting Garrett Gilbert, a seventh year journeyman at quarterback. Oh, yeah, he'll also be the FOURTH QB lining up under center in just eight games for the 'Boys, and the third straight different passer in as many weeks, following Ben DiNucci and Andy Dalton. Yoiks! And to think Dallas was all but penciled in to win NFC Least and was a favorite to come out of the conference, now, it'll be a miracle if they manage to avoid ending up in the division basement.
    Yea it's gonna be a massacre. Whatever merit McCarthy has as a motivator will be up front today.

Jake Luton gets the start facing the Texans. The AFC South this weeks looks like that episode of OG Star Trek with the converse crew, 2 1-6 teams and the other two 5-2.

Tupac's Back v. Colts. Great test for a really solid Colts defense.
    You bet yer ass.

Quote Originally Posted by Surf View Post
    Tupac's Back v. Colts. Great test for a really solid Colts defense.
    With the Eagles on their bye, I’ve got that as the early game here in Philly. Should be interesting.

Kansas City holds on and beats Carolina.
    Buffalo took a substantial early lead against the Seahawks, who looked jet-lagged on a visit to the East Coast. Bills hang on to win after putting up 44 points against their defense (who just got Jamaal Adams back).

Arizona/Miami is about to start. If the Cardinals win, they move to 1st place in the NFC West.

Kansas City holds on and beats Carolina.
    Buffalo took a substantial early lead against the Seahawks, who looked jet-lagged on a visit to the East Coast. Bills hang on to win after putting up 44 points against their defense (who just got Jamaal Adams back).

Arizona/Miami is about to start. If the Cardinals win, they move to 1st place in the NFC West.
    Bills defense also forced 4 turnovers on Seattle. 2 INTs and 2 fumbles.