Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How would you revamp an obscure DC Character?

Pitch a direction for any obscure C-Z list DC Characters (whether it is a hero, villain, supporting character, etc.) that should get a revamp and how would you design and place them in the DCU.

It has to be a character that was relegated to supporting and cameo roles. A-Listers such as Batman, Superman, The Flash and Wonder Woman who have appeared in multimedia does not count as well as B-Listers such as Nightwing, Red Hood and the Titans/Teen Titans (the TT could be classified as A-List due to the 2003 and 2013 series) who have their own comic book series, mainstream popularity and appeared in one or more form of media also does not count either.

For example, Animal Man would be categorised as a C-Lister despite him having his own comic book series during the early phase of New 52 but now occasionally appear in the DCU.

I would like to see how would you revamp and pitch a direction for your chosen character and how would they fit into the DCU?
    Last edited by Incognito; 09-09-2020 at 08:43 AM.

The Creeper is an upcoming journalist who tries to go undercover in the Joker Cult. He gets found out and tossed in a vat of chemicals like what the Joker(s) are doing over in Three Jokers. Instead of becoming another Joker he comes out as the Creeper with an updated design.

(I posted this a couple years ago, but hey - it's applicable (and also, I just wish this would happen))
    Claw The Unconquered - Bring back the John Chan version from "Primal Force", a modern man (i.e. more relatable and hey - diversity) cursed with a demon hand. So little has been done with the character and history the past several decades, just build a whole new mythology around it (especially where / who that hand came from). You can introduce a lineage of others who have possessed the claw (or the opposing claw, or the wings) etc, and tie it into other DC fantasy elements. (i.e. Etrigan) Personally I like the idea that he would have ties to the fantasy realm but as a warrior who is a regular person (again, more relatable) touched by magic; magicians or other-worldly beings don't usually appeal to me. And of course the struggle to control his own anger as well as the demon hand is familiar heroic journey stuff.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-09-2020 at 10:06 AM.

First, I would read the original character to see what could be improved upon without losing their essence.

I would make Bloodwynd more of a Starlin Captain Marvel/Warlock type character, traveling between magical dimensions and exploring DC's mystic landscape while questioning the meaning of existence within that context.

I would strip Lilith back down to civilian clothes and have her become a paranormal investigator. A psychic Nancy Drew with a supernatural horror focus.

I'll think of more... I'm sure I have some already that just I can't think of right now.

(Note that my revamps leave room for their older stories to still exist, if necessary.)
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 09-09-2020 at 10:44 AM.
    "There's magic in the sound of analog audio." - CNET.

I would love to see a Captain Triumph series.
    He'd be the Captain America of DC's Supernatural scene.
    He’s got a cool simple costume, basic but useful powerset, connections to the JSA, particularly Tarantula, Jesse Quick’ and her parents, so built in guest stars. He’s even done some jail time.
    He’s easy to do a man out of time in the modern world angle with. Add his brother Michael’s spirit into the mix, and that’s good stuff.
    Set him up in Washington DC.
    Build him a rogues gallery w. new characters of course, and dip into DC’s cache of underused bad guys.
    I can see Barter, Cross Christina, Bette Noir, Goldface, Mister Twister getting a shot in this book.
    Bigger names could be Eclipso, Psycho Pirate, Johnny Sorrow.
    Also Hewitt Industries is in Washington, to set up Tokamak and the 2000 Committee as recurring foes. Red Mask and Baron Blitzkrieg we’re old foes of his that could make a return.
    Pete Ross, Lana Lang Sam Lane, Sarge Steel and Walter Reilly can be built up as supporting characters.
    Last edited by Riv86672; 09-09-2020 at 05:03 PM.

Astonishing Member

You want obscure characters? You got it!

Quality, Fawcett and Charlton characters who haven't appeared in DC Comics

(Unfortunately, many Fawcett, Nedor and Quality characters ‘owned’ by DC are in the public domain now. So, I will try my best to create a derivative work.)

Madame Fatale (nee Spider Widow)
    Madame Fatale is the secret identity of Dianne Grayton, a bored and wealthy athlete who decides to fight crime after discovering she has the ability to alter her appearance and control arachnids.[2] She disguises herself as a stereotypical Halloween witch costume: a green-faced crone, a dark hat, and a dark dress.[3] In her new guise, she calls herself "Madame Fatale, Grandmother of Terror". Her partner/sidekick is the Familiar (the secret identity of Tony Grey); he wears a bird-themed (raven-ish) costume and can fly. (Note: Madame Fatal was the name of another infamous Quality hero: an actor who dressed as an old lady to fight crime. I’m not making this up.)

Margo the Magianic (nee Margo the Magician)
    Margo the Magianic is the daughter of the famous stage magician the Great Presto. Like her father, she also became a stage magician. However, she secretly could use real magic just as her father could and became a crime fighter. Margo is shown to have the ability to create very convincing illusions using mass hypnosis. Her other magical feats in her only appearance included telekinetically bending guns and immobilizing a group of soldiers by transforming their feet into trees, though these could all be part of her mass hypnosis. She, of course, would be a rival to Zatanna.

Wild Fury (nee Wildfire)
    Carol Vance Martin was orphaned by a forest fire but, received her powers from the god of fire after he rescued her. She was later adopted by the wealthy Martin family, and the teenage super heroine decided to use her powers to combat not only criminals, but also saboteurs and even supernatural menaces. She had the power to control or create flames and could also fly.

(Notes: Wildfire (Carol Vance Martin) is a fictional superheroine in the DC Comics universe.[1] One of the first female superheroes, she was originally published by Quality Comics during what comics historians and fans called the Golden Age of comic books. With her luxurious mane of red hair and revealing costume, she has been called "the sexiest super-hero of 1941".[2] Wildfire was originally intended to play a major role in the All-Star Squadron series, but DC objected on the basis of her name, which she shared with the Legion of Super-Heroes member. Instead, a female incarnation of Firebrand was introduced into the series. [1])

El Carim
    El Carim is an apparent master of the mystical arts. He uses his magical cloak and backwards-recited magic to fight criminals and evildoers assisted by the lovely Gladys Troy. In truth, El Carim is an eidolon summoned by Gladys Troy to help her uphold the good. (Bonus points if you can guess which RPG I am ‘inspired’ by.)

Diamond Jubilee (nee Diamond Jack)
    Jacqueline Lansing was given a ring with an inset magic diamond by an old magician. The magic diamond was later revealed to have been the lost eye-jewel of a god from a temple in the Far East. She uses the magic ring to fight crime. The ring gives her the ability to create whatever she imagines and transmute objects. The ring also allows her to duplicate super strength, invulnerability, super senses, the ability to heal others, limited flight, and a few other plot-convenient abilities. Many assume she is a member of some Lantern Corps or another.

Warlow the Wizardette (nee Warlock the Wizard)
    Warlow is a stage magician who, unbeknownst to many, has genuine magical powers. She uses those abilities to fight crime. She is assisted by her pet raven, Hugin, who could speak. Warlock has a treasure trove of magic items she keeps in a trunk. She is another contemporary of Zatanna.

Smart Alec (nee Sinistro, Boy Fiend )
    Jack Armstrong, "cast in the role of the All-American boy," is a young man living in Gothamville, who "detests the good guys in our culture." Jack finds the recipe for a potion to turn him into a 'boy fiend', but while his friends look on, the potion fails. Following the failure, he disappears into his garage to assemble a Highro-Gyro from a crate he'd ordered previously. The Highro Gyro is a flying machine of strange appearance. Fully costumed in a domino mask, white dress shirt with black bow-tie, a blue cape and matching vest with an "S" symbol embellished on it, he sets out to create some villainy. His girlfriend, Shirlee Peche, begs him to become a good super hero, yet Smart Alec says the field is overcrowded, and it is boring to have the criminals always lose.
    Smart Alec’s Highro-Gyro gives him the power of flight. Later, he develops his Minijets for speed-of-light travel. His Infra-X-Ray Viewer enables him to see through solid objects. He also has an Ultra-Sensitive Heat Detector and "Super Keen Eyes". His super-strong, invisible Micro-Mesh can entangle and subdue foes. He uses a mirror to hypnotize opponents, and is an engaging speaker.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 09-28-2020 at 06:27 PM.

Incredible Member

Greg Sanders, the (cowboy) VIGILANTE.

Country singer but only regionally popular - not a super star. Playing mostly bars and dives and honky tonks, he knows and crosses paths with a lot of low life and underground types. Make it a modern day western. Motorcycle. No horse! Love interest would be a woman that wants to be his manager but he won’t sign. He has a young adult brother who is arrogant, cocky, thinks he is a big deal - hot stuff. Greg calls him Stuff.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Ambush Bug: After being sent to Earth from a dying planet, Ambush Bug is bitten by a radioactive bug and given the power to annoy anyone around him!

Speedy: After being kidnapped by his extremist militia father at age six when he loses custody, Roy Harper is trained to shoot a bow from a young age. By the time he is fifteen, he has the skills of an Olympic level champion. He escapes from his father's compound to find his mother who he remembered lived in Star City. Where he became a vigilante.

Red Bee: Scientist Richard Raleigh develops a device that allows him to control bees and summons them to help him fight crime. Like Ant Man.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post

Country singer but only regionally popular - not a super star. Playing mostly bars and dives and honky tonks, he knows and crosses paths with a lot of low life and underground types. Make it a modern day western. Motorcycle. No horse! Love interest would be a woman that wants to be his manager but he won’t sign. He has a young adult brother who is arrogant, cocky, thinks he is a big deal - hot stuff. Greg calls him Stuff.
    I will take TWO copies pls!

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    The Creeper is an upcoming journalist who tries to go undercover in the Joker Cult. He gets found out and tossed in a vat of chemicals like what the Joker(s) are doing over in Three Jokers. Instead of becoming another Joker he comes out as the Creeper with an updated design.
    I would say a journalist who goes undercover at Arkham and gets a combination of Fear Gas, Joker's Gas, and Bane's Venom into his system and turned into monster until Batman has a temporary cure similar to the cartoon.

Some ideas from another thread

KGBeast/The Beast: Former KGB agent Anatoli Knyazev immigrated to Gotham City and became a mobster. With his metal prosthetic of his right arm he struck fear to his enemies and to some of his fellow allies he quickly became a top crime lord.

Tweedledum and Tweedledee: Twin serial killers who always know what the other one is thinking is when one of them doesn't finish their victim the other one will finish it no matter what, and they are join by Tweedledie and Tweedledo'h lol. To me they could be a combination of Uncle Fester from the Addams Family and the twins from The Shining (come play with us).

Egghead - A political elitist who thinks he knows whats best for Gotham and everthing that happens in Gotham needs to go by him kind of like Batman looking over the town. Or have James Gordon Jr. become Egghead after becoming Mayor of Gotham (instead of his father in some worlds) and turns Gotham into a police state having Batman being hunted down, blowing up Arkham Asylum, and strict punishment for criminals.

Bruno (from The Dark Knight comic): A woman who believes she is the reincarnation of a WWII Nazi who found his way to Gotham City and became a serial killer who preyed on people with Jewish ancestry (could work on a personal level with and Bruce and Kate).

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    Great Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by bretmaverick2 View Post

Great Idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Stone View Post
    First, I would read the original character to see what could be improved upon without losing their essence.

I would make Bloodwynd more of a Starlin Captain Marvel/Warlock type character, traveling between magical dimensions and exploring DC's mystic landscape while questioning the meaning of existence within that context.
    I love his look and his concept...but his name...yuck.

Bloodwyne would be better, I think...perhaps not by much.

Astonishing Member

(Unfortunately, many Fawcett, Nedor and Quality characters ‘owned’ by DC are in the public domain now. So, I will try my best to create a derivative work.)

Mister Scarlet; Scarlet Woman; Pimpernel (nee Mr. Scarlet & Pinky)
    Public Defender Brian Butler, frustrated by the limits of the legal system, becomes the crime-busting costumed vigilante Mr. Scarlet at midnight every night. So, by day, he represents those who cannot afford an attorney, and at night, he fights evil as Mr. Scarlet, the "Red Knight of Justice." He is assisted by two other public defenders, Miss Cherry Wade, and by his younger brother, Pincus Butler. Granted to them by the wizard (Shazam), the Scarlets have the power to fly and ‘scarlet vision’ (thermal vision). They also carry ray-guns that they seldom use, usually relying on their wits and fighting ability.

Magister (nee Master Man)
    Magister cannot fly but is super strong and could run at extreme speeds, faster than an automobile. When he was a boy, he was weak, but a wise alchemist gave him a magic vitamin capsule containing known energy sources. After ingesting the capsule, the boy not only became one the strongest of men, but also gained super-speed and invulnerability. Upon the highest mountain peak in another dimension, he observes surrounding realities from a castle made of solid rock!. Now a Master Alchemist, he fights injustice when and where he can.

Mouthpiece
    Defense Attorney William Perkins thought the legal system was unjust and decided to don a costume so that he could advise criminals how to elude the ‘injustice’ as the Mouthpiece. He is prepared to kill when he needs to, once even throwing a harpoon into the back of a fleeing assailant. He has indeterminate superpowers and is an excellent marksman and fighter.

Buffoon (nee the Black Clown)
    Harry Parrish was a circus owner who ran his business into the red with his own greed. When he was denied a loan to save the circus, he vowed revenge and became the Buffoon. He was eventually brought to justice by Mr. Scarlet.
    The Buffoon was a talented and daring acrobat who planned his escapes in advance. He was aided by several circus performers, a python trained to squeeze people to death and an ape named Garganta. He also carried conventional weapons such as guns and knives.

Funny Bone (nee The Laughing Skull)
    John Dodd was a banker who was running out of money. He decided to start an extortion racket as Funny Bone. Those who failed to pay him protection money were buried alive with mocking tombstones set in rhyme. He realized that in order to make himself respected as the terror of the city, he needed to kill the hero Mr. Scarlet, who was attempting to track him down. Funny Bone and his men managed to capture Mr. Scarlet, but the hero got free and brought them to justice.

Oroz, El Hombre Misterioso (nee Zoro the Mystery Man)
    Oroz is a man who tried to satisfy his thirst for adventure, by taking on injustice. Eventually, his services were sought out by those in need of help. Most of his adventures seem to take place on the East Coast of the United States, but others take him around the world.

Oroz is extremely athletic and a master of personal combat, willing to kill his enemies. Though he did not carry a gun, he frequently disarms his enemies and takes their weapons. He does carry a cane, with a concealed sword. Also a spellcaster, he has other clever devices as well, and is usually accompanied by his loyal and ferocious familiar cheetah, which he called...well, Cheetah. He is considered dashing and handsome by women, and based on his resources, it is likely that he is wealthy.

Penthus (alias Mortimer Gloom) (nee The Weeper)
    Penthus is capable of the most brutal of murders, but sheds tears for his victims; he hates to see people happy but feels bad after he hurts them. Penthus wears a blue opera cape, a blue top hat and tuxedo, and carries a small walking stick and tear gas bombs. He also drives a hearse and is accompanied by his henchmen called the Bitter-Men.

Formerly known as the "Crying Clown", Mortimer Gloom is fired for dishonesty from his work as a circus performer. Sometime afterward, he commits several acts of revenge. He then takes on the name "Penthus".

Penthus sends letters and visits a number of families telling them tragic news. He tells one family their son has died in the war. In another family, the father is fired from his job after years of dutiful service. In yet another family, he tells the husband his business has burned to the ground. Later, the families discover that Penthus has lied to them. Penthus tells these lies so he could either case the families' homes for robbery or they would lead him to where they hid their valuable possessions.

Penthus puts an ad in the paper looking for men who feel life has given them a raw deal. A lot of men reply to the ad. He interviews them all and picks ten of the saddest men. He calls them the Bitter-Men. Penthus, along with the Bitter-Men, sets out to make the lives of other people very unhappy.

They start by riding through a parade in a hearse and tossing tear gas into the crowd. This causes a stampede which kills a great many people. Penthus drives through the street littered with dead bodies, weeping at that horrible tragedy.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 09-10-2020 at 06:45 AM.

Nightshade

Agent Eve Eden, codename Nightshade, is a D.E.O operative who is one of the most talented spies in the world. Think of her as Black Widow with umbrakinesis. Having been recruited at a young age and not knowing more about her mystical heritage, she has learned various skills in order to be an adept spy such as observation skills, espionage, infiltration, hacking and combat. With experience honing her powers she can use it for various ways such as transportation, offence, defence and stealth by using her power of darkness/shadows.

Blue Devil

Saw this image and I just thought of Blue Devil.
    https://cdna.artstation.com/p/assets...jpg?1581003237

Danielle 'Dani' Cassidy is a former Hollywood stuntwoman/actress and martial artist who was filming in an old underground temple in Japan. She saw a demonic mask and wears it while showing it off to his cast but it triggers a portal and hordes of demonic spirits came out and killed most of his cast while Danielle was sucked into the hellish portal, she found a Kanebo radiates with power and she returns to Earth now as a blue oni now armed and has been imbued with supernatural physical and infernal capabilities to detect and fight demons and the supernatural.

Astonishing Member

Rocket-Man (nee Bulletman)
    Jim Barr, a chemist for the police, created a drug which gave him super strength and increased his intelligence, allowing him to create a gravity-regulating helmet. The helmet as its name implies allowed the wearer to defy gravity. He used his new powers and inventions to fight crime. He was partnered with his girlfriend, Rocket-Girl. Later on, Jim devised a gravity collar that allows their dog, Slug, to become the flying, crime-fighting Rocket-Dog. There was also a Rocket-Boy (or Young Rocket-Man), secret identity of Tod Drake, who assisted his hero. (Tod had a brother named Jack Drake. I’m not making this up.)
    Jim had super strength, heightened intelligence, and telescopic vision, and his helmet allowed him to fly and deflect bullets.

Rocket-Girl (nee Bulletgirl)

Susan Kent is the girlfriend of Jim Barr and also the daughter of a police sergeant. More or less by accident, she discovers that her boyfriend is Rocket-Man. Susan decides that she wants to help him fight crime, so Jim builds a gravity-regulating helmet so Susan can team up with him and fight crime as Rocket-Girl.
    She has increased strength due to her taking a dose of Rocket-Man's super-strength serum, and her helmet allows her to fly and repel bullets.

Rocket-Dog (nee Bulletdog)
    Rocket-Man devised a gravity collar that allowed his dog, Slug, to become the flying, crime-fighting Rocket-Dog! Rocket-Dog then assisted Rocket-Man and Rocket-Girl in fighting crime.

The Valdinis (nee Balbo, Boy Magician).
    Balbo Valdini is a young stage magician and the nephew of Valdini the Great, a famed illusionist. In his first appearance, he and his uncle aided El Carim, a fellow magician. He is assisted by his sister, Francesca ‘Frankie’ ‘Buddy’ Valdini, and by his friend (the adult non-stereotypical African American) Jonathan Smith; and there's Trixy, the little white dog. Balbo uses his stage craft to solve other crimes. This is all a lie. The Valdinis are half-elves with very real magic. They hail the same realm as the Magister and their purpose here is known only to them.

Ati Menrva (nee Aunt Minerva)
    The woman that is not-so-affectionately referred to as Ati Menrva (“Mother Menrva”) has not had much of her background revealed except her scholarship of Etruscan history and mythology. Even her real name remains enigmatic at this writing. She soon proved herself to be a formidable woman indeed, despite her age; she is tough enough to take down the burliest thug single-handed, and is also a crack shot with any handgun. In addition, she has proven herself to be a cunning criminal strategist and to be completely ruthless…easily capable of ordering, or committing, murder when the situation calls for it.

Mother Hen (nee the Hen)
    Mother Hen: 1949, Marvel Family (33?): A thin woman who happens to be a ruthless criminal mastermind. So ruthless, she killed off her whole gang just so's not to share the loot. However, this kind of makes other criminals not want to work for her. So, she teams up with Georgia Sivana, combining the Sivana daughter's goal with being Princess of Earth with her own goal to be the World's Wealthiest Woman. However, you cannot have two leaders and this team-up was doomed as eventually the two got to fighting over who was the best…allowing (Mary) Shazam to capture them and put them in jail. Besides her thin angled features, she further mimics her name-sake by tending to cackle. She is also a genius with gases.

Mister Peacock & Pajock & Popinjay (nee Mr. Green & Greeny)
    Mister Peacock & Pajock: Wow #28. Evil Green Arrow, but basically extortionists. Mr. Peacock is a bowman with only trick arrow being a flaming arrow. He's really a butler to Mr. Archibald Greene whom he tries to set up; Pajock and Popinjay are not an archers but the standard gun wielding henchpersons. NOTE: It should be noted that the Arrow (both a Centaur hero and Superman villain), Golden Arrow, Green Arrow, and Mr. Green all owe their popularity to the mystery novel THE GREEN ARCHER by Edgar Wallace which probably explains lots in regards to the initials and color choices.

FYI: Please do not assume my revamps are Caucasian or heterosexual...or even heroic; some maybe anti-heroes. I want these aspects of the characters undefined at this time.
    Last edited by scary harpy; 09-11-2020 at 10:21 AM.

Astonishing Member

They don't come much more obscure than old Green Arrow villains.

Albright Raynes, the Rainbow Archer (nee the Rainbow Archer)
    Adventure Comics (March 1958)
    An artist turned counterfeiter, he turned to crime as a villainous archer that crossed paths with Green Arrow on several occasions. His real name is unknown.

The Amazing Egress (nee Mr. Exit)
    World's Finest Comics #57 (March 1952)
    Mr. Fey owns a hobby shop and is a criminal who targeted Roy Harper.

Beau Brummel
    Adventure Comics #149 (February 1950)
    Elegant archer and criminal who enjoys puns.

Black Arrow
    Adventure Comics #143 (August 1949)
    Villainous archer. I re-imagine her as a major foe of Black Canary and/or Roy Harper.

Captain Kilgore
    More Fun Comics #78 (April 1942)
    Pirate on the high seas; one of Green Arrow’s earliest foes. I re-imagine her and her crew in a Halloween pirate costumes…because its’ fun.

Green Error (nee Bull's Eye)
    World's Finest Comics #24 (September 1946)
    Leapo the Clown was in a fashion Green Arrow's version of the Joker; he clashed with Green Arrow and Speedy in over half a dozen stories. A crack shot with a firearm, he also figured out the science behind Arrow's weaponry and used this knowledge to help Signalman become the Blue Bowman. Note: Green Error was originally another character: ‘Arrow and Speedy meet the Green Error, a clown who spoofs Green Arrow at the circus. Green Error's tools help them stop the robbers who stole the day's receipts; from World's Finest Comics (DC, 1941 series) #100 (March 1959)’.

Lucky 13 (nee James Luckless)
    World's Finest Comics #8 (Winter 1942)
    Committed crimes with motif based on good luck symbols (rabbit's foot, horseshoe, etc.). Wears a black cat mask and has short henchmen dressed as leprechauns. (Note: this was inspired by a Legends of the Dark Knight story; I cannot recall which one. ☹)

Objet Dart (nee Red Dart)
    World's Finest Comics #95 (July 1958)
    John "Midas" Mallory becomes Star City's latest costumed hero only to be revealed to be a criminal not unlike Deadshot. Uses darts, of course; Objet d’Art are his favorite 'acquisitions'.

Owlwise (nee Mr. Who)
    World's Finest Comics #31 (November 1947)
    "Owl" Haines (real first name unknown); Criminal with owl motif. He may be an associate of the Court of Owls.

Professor Million
    More Fun Comics #88 (February 1943)
    College professor, committed mathematically precise crimes to accumulate funds for academic purposes, preferred non-violence, encountered Green Arrow at least three times. I re-imagine him as modern-day Moriarty.

Professor White, the Black Magician
    World's Finest Comics #62 (January 1953)
    Prof. White, failed performer turned criminal; expert at disguise, misdirection, sleight of hand.

Queen Arrow
    Adventure Comics vol. 1, #241 (October 1957)
    (Then: Diana Dare, the daughter of millionaire Everet Dare, sleepwalks under the influence of a potion as a heroine modeled after Green Arrow. Now: Villainous archer.) I re-imagine her as a foe of Black Canary and/or Roy Harper.

Smaragdine (nee Greenface)
    World's Finest Comics #39 (April 1949)
    When a vat of dye exploded in his face, the man who became Smaragdine turned to a life of crime. Considered Green Arrow's version of Two-Face.

Wax Wurx (nee Waxface)
    World's Finest Comics #15 (Fall 1944)
    Malleable-faced villain who commits crimes while impersonating reputable men.