Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Default Walking Dead to end after season 11

IGN first reported the story but it seems to have been confirmed by AMC's TWD twitter.

The comic book ended last year (apart from one Negan spin-off and the new color reprints) and while the TV show has certainly done it's own thing especially in regards to which characters live or die, or totally new characters entirely, it has for the most part followed the basic comic storyline path: Atlanta, farm, prison, Alexandria and the other communities, All out war and the Whisperers. I'm guessing they'll wrap up with the "Commonwealth" storyline which largely closed the comic.

Season 10 has been extended (although I'm guessing these episodes will air next year instead of directly after the "finale") and season 11 will have eight more episodes than the usual count (16) so that's at least 30 more episodes I think.

No word yet on Fear I don't think, World Beyond is intended to be just a sort of miniseries and there's still the Rick Grimes movies planned I think.

However, they've announced a new spinoff that will feature Carol and Daryl, the two "soulmate" characters of the show pretty much and a popular "ship" although it's never really been acted on/consumated on the show. Daryl of course is an original character created for the show, a rough outdoorsman/badass whose skills are well-suited to the ruined world, while Carol is a constantly-bereaved mother figure who despite years of hardships and loss (Losing her family *and* adopted families) has emerged as a badass herself.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    IGN first reported the story but it seems to have been confirmed by AMC's TWD twitter.

The comic book ended last year (apart from one Negan spin-off and the new color reprints) and while the TV show has certainly done it's own thing especially in regards to which characters live or die, or totally new characters entirely, it has for the most part followed the basic comic storyline path: Atlanta, farm, prison, Alexandria and the other communities, All out war and the Whisperers. I'm guessing they'll wrap up with the "Commonwealth" storyline which largely closed the comic.

Season 10 has been extended (although I'm guessing these episodes will air next year instead of directly after the "finale") and season 11 will have eight more episodes than the usual count (16) so that's at least 30 more episodes I think.

No word yet on Fear I don't think, World Beyond is intended to be just a sort of miniseries and there's still the Rick Grimes movies planned I think.

However, they've announced a new spinoff that will feature Carol and Daryl, the two "soulmate" characters of the show pretty much and a popular "ship" although it's never really been acted on/consumated on the show. Daryl of course is an original character created for the show, a rough outdoorsman/badass whose skills are well-suited to the ruined world, while Carol is a constantly-bereaved mother figure who despite years of hardships and loss (Losing her family *and* adopted families) has emerged as a badass herself.

This is likely a bad ...bad idea. None of the shows generate the ratings an even weakened Walking Dead main series does. You can spin-off and do this with main title and go forward. The show is the type that can be rebooted itself as we have seen the changes and eras as we know. Fear and World Beyond aren't the ratings hits the main series is.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Astonishing Member

The New Show allows a "reset" on budget (even if Darryl and Carol's salaries are locked in), that's likely the main reason. They don't have to give the background crew raises and raise the cost of the show.

I think that Norman and Melissa were also the only ones to renew their contracts fairly recently too.

Well we now know two characters who are making it through the main series alive, lol. Daryl and Carol are basically the big two of the main series now as it is, so its odd to end that and then basically just rebrand another show around them. I guess their aim is to trim the fat. Its a risk though as already said, none of the other spin-offs do what the main series can still pull. But I suppose those two characters would naturally give you your best shot at success in the spin off realm.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

They've pretty much both been there since season 1 (although not the pilot). Everybody else from that season is either dead, missing (Rick) or moved on to another show (Morgan.)

Unadjusted Human on CBR SUPERECWFAN1's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I think that Norman and Melissa were also the only ones to renew their contracts fairly recently too.
    Reedus did it the year Lincoln was leaving. He got a HUGE pay raise. Everyone would always ask , is Norman leaving repeatedly. But this show has made him iconic. The Museum of TV in Washington likely will end up taking his bow and jacket off the series at some point. Where he's iconic in them.
    "The story so far: As usual, Ginger and I are engaged in our quest to find out what the hell is going on and save humanity from my nemesis, some bastard who is presumably responsible." - Sir Digby Chicken Caesar.
    “ Well hell just froze over. Because CM Punk is back in the WWE.” - Jcogginsa.
    “You can take the boy outta the mom’s basement, but you can’t take the mom’s basement outta the boy!” - LA Knight.
    "Revel in What You Are." Bray Wyatt.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Forgot this was even on anymore.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Same here, this is still a thing, hmm, weird. Most everyone I know lost interest three or four years ago. I feel this is a clear case of a series that lasted long beyond its natural expiration date, kind of like how the zombies that populate it should have rotted away from decay by now fittingly enough.
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-09-2020 at 03:35 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by Celgress View Post
    Same here, this is still a thing, hmm, weird. Most everyone I know lost interest three or four years ago. I feel this is a clear case of a series that lasted long beyond its natural expiration date, kind of like how the zombies that populate it should have rotted away from decay by now fittingly enough.
    Yup! Couldn’t have said it better.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Well, someone's watching it. And it's not just me. I mean, it's still AMC's top rated show and still one of the highest rated shows on basic cable.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Oh, I knew it was still on. I just... didn't care. I've just come to accept its existence like Law & Order and SNL -- now-long running institutions with an obvious audience, but just not my cup of tea anymore.

I think I got in to the 5th season before I realized I had always mostly disliked it and wasn't obligated to watch it. So I stopped, and never missed it.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

It's funny, this show was so HUGE once. I remember people talking about it everywhere. They should have sought a high note to go out on instead of limping along.

Personally I thought season 1 was really good, strong stuff...after that it was unwatchable. Frank Darabont is not replaceable.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-10-2020 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SUPERECWFAN1 View Post
    This is likely a bad ...bad idea. None of the shows generate the ratings an even weakened Walking Dead main series does. You can spin-off and do this with main title and go forward. The show is the type that can be rebooted itself as we have seen the changes and eras as we know. Fear and World Beyond aren't the ratings hits the main series is.
    World Beyond hasn't even premiered yet. The franchise itself still has possibilities, but you have to move away from the Walking Dead cast and look to new characters and scenarios.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Well we now know two characters who are making it through the main series alive, lol. Daryl and Carol are basically the big two of the main series now as it is, so its odd to end that and then basically just rebrand another show around them. I guess their aim is to trim the fat. Its a risk though as already said, none of the other spin-offs do what the main series can still pull. But I suppose those two characters would naturally give you your best shot at success in the spin off realm.
    Knowing they both survive does kind of put a damper on how Walking Dead will end (will there be a huge, emotional death?). It used to be a great, ballsy show where pretty much anyone could die, but then you'd know a character was getting killed off when the actor got another job, and then after that they stopped killing the characters and just writing them out of the show.