Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by caj View Post
    IMO, Glenn's death was the beginning of the ratings fall of the series. He was the heart of the show in many ways. I know they liked to shock viewers with killing off the unexpected, but that was the most terrible death decision of the series.
    It's funny that one of the few times the series actually went with the comics was the time everyone hated it.

That said, it happening in the comic was one of the few times I've actually had to set a comic down and process what just happened, so I can see why so many fans of the show would stop at that point.
    Last Read: Aquaman & The Flash: Voidsong

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Geiger, Green Arrow, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Thundercats, Titans

Luke & Jules was kind of expected; the show seemed to struggle with Dan Folger's other commitments (Fantastic Beasts for example) and he vanished for quite a few episodes (I'm also guessing that Connie's short absence after the cave-in was so Lauren Ridloff could film Eternals). although his fate was probably a bit better than his comic one (He was one of the pike victims).
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Unglaublich!

I'm not sure what to make of this finale, to be honest.

I stopped watching in "real time" when Carl died; I was just tired of the show. Me and my missus have recently binged the whole thing though, so we got to watch this last episode as it aired.

I thought they'd have cleared the decks more than they did! Rosita was the only "notable" death (all respect to Luke but he just wasn't in it very much and was clearly the least important member of Magna's group) and they really laid it on thick with her. Considering her storyline for the last couple of seasons has been little more than "background badass," I was surprised at how much they made of her death! Poor Coco... just like Judith, neither of her biological parents survived...

Negan. I know he had to have his redemption arc but, my God, they absolutely castrated him since he escaped Alexandria. I hope he shows more of his old scrapper self in Dead City.

Daryl and Carol. Their conversation at the end was so meta, it was mad. And thank the Lord that his blood just happens to be a match for anyone! What are the chances, eh...? For his final episode in the main series, I felt that he was very much a side character in it all.

I have to agree with JDM regarding AMC announcing the spinoffs - there were no stakes at all for those characters because of it. I'd have much preferred to genuinely wonder if Daryl would survive the seige on the hospital while he was protecting Judith, or if Maggie would finally get revenge for Glenn's murder despite Negan saving both her and Hershel in the recent past! And not knowing about the upcoming shows would've given so much more weight to Rick and Michonne's cameos at the end too. But AMC did what they did and I think it hurt the finale overall.

Having spent the last month or so watching this pretty much every day, it's a little odd to think that The Walking Dead itself is now a done deal. They had a lot to do and set up in one last episode and I think they did a decent job. Not perfect, but definitely decent.

We started watching World Beyond but it's been a struggle to get into it. From what I've read online about it, it sounds like it will both tie in to the main series (who the hell are the Civil Republic?!) and lead into (in a fashion) the spinoffs, specifically setting up both Paris and New York as locations for characters to end up in. So I guess we'll have to persevere with that and see what's what.

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

It was clear Daryl would live because AMC paid him waaaaay too much money at the 11th hour. That was a dead give away, I personally was never a huge Daryl fan and felt he should have at least got Dwight's death from the comics. The TV show might've tried to have heart, but it definitely didn't have the comic's balls to kill off people. Glenn was the only brutal death that seems to have been taken from the comics. They chickened out on everyone else, or toned their deaths down. But given the reaction to Glenn's death I'm not surprised. I know that hit hard but it's frustrating to alway see the show pull it's punches because of that. IMO it's why the show never recovered due to Glenn's death, AND the fact they stopped killing major characters. It was two folds.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Formerly Blackdragon6 Emperor-of-Dragons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    It's funny that one of the few times the series actually went with the comics was the time everyone hated it.

That said, it happening in the comic was one of the few times I've actually had to set a comic down and process what just happened, so I can see why so many fans of the show would stop at that point.
    it's frustrating tbh, because the show never recovered from that due to the outrage, which caused the show to tone itself down which caused another group of people to quit watching cause there wasn't enough consequences to things.

Audiences are a pain in the ass sometimes.
    Rest in Peace mom, we love you and still miss you.
    8-29-53/11-30-21

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Raptor View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of this finale, to be honest.

I stopped watching in "real time" when Carl died; I was just tired of the show. Me and my missus have recently binged the whole thing though, so we got to watch this last episode as it aired.

I thought they'd have cleared the decks more than they did! Rosita was the only "notable" death (all respect to Luke but he just wasn't in it very much and was clearly the least important member of Magna's group) and they really laid it on thick with her. Considering her storyline for the last couple of seasons has been little more than "background badass," I was surprised at how much they made of her death! Poor Coco... just like Judith, neither of her biological parents survived...

Negan. I know he had to have his redemption arc but, my God, they absolutely castrated him since he escaped Alexandria. I hope he shows more of his old scrapper self in Dead City.

Daryl and Carol. Their conversation at the end was so meta, it was mad. And thank the Lord that his blood just happens to be a match for anyone! What are the chances, eh...? For his final episode in the main series, I felt that he was very much a side character in it all.

I have to agree with JDM regarding AMC announcing the spinoffs - there were no stakes at all for those characters because of it. I'd have much preferred to genuinely wonder if Daryl would survive the seige on the hospital while he was protecting Judith, or if Maggie would finally get revenge for Glenn's murder despite Negan saving both her and Hershel in the recent past! And not knowing about the upcoming shows would've given so much more weight to Rick and Michonne's cameos at the end too. But AMC did what they did and I think it hurt the finale overall.

Having spent the last month or so watching this pretty much every day, it's a little odd to think that The Walking Dead itself is now a done deal. They had a lot to do and set up in one last episode and I think they did a decent job. Not perfect, but definitely decent.

We started watching World Beyond but it's been a struggle to get into it. From what I've read online about it, it sounds like it will both tie in to the main series (who the hell are the Civil Republic?!) and lead into (in a fashion) the spinoffs, specifically setting up both Paris and New York as locations for characters to end up in. So I guess we'll have to persevere with that and see what's what.

World Beyond basically expands on the CRM a bit (The CRM are the helicopter group that took Rick away, they also had Jadis as some kind of agent for some reason) and also introduced the smarter Walkers.

Curiously the smarter Walkers seem to show up where there's high population (Atlanta and later Commonwealth). Maybe it's some kind of strange hive mind thing with the Walkers.

I know so many people who say they used to love the series but stopped watching after their favorite character was killed off. I want to ask those people collectively, what show did you think you were watching? It was called The Walking DEAD! Characters died, but if it was only background or supporting characters who died, the show would have lost a lot of its drama. And for what it's worth, I enjoyed the finale. However, I do agree with JDM that the promotion of the spinoffs made it quite clear that there were three characters who would not be killed off. That did ruin some of the suspense.
    Watching television is not an activity.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Malvolio View Post
    I know so many people who say they used to love the series but stopped watching after their favorite character was killed off. I want to ask those people collectively, what show did you think you were watching? It was called The Walking DEAD! Characters died, but if it was only background or supporting characters who died, the show would have lost a lot of its drama. And for what it's worth, I enjoyed the finale. However, I do agree with JDM that the promotion of the spinoffs made it quite clear that there were three characters who would not be killed off. That did ruin some of the suspense.
    Shane was my favorite character and I continued to watch for three more years. But Alexandria was as dull as dirt to me so I tuned out. But I heard about Glenn's death and it was heartbreaking.

Abraham, who was the first to get hit by Negan, also died in the comics. However he got the arrow that Denise got in the show; in some ways facing down the bat was more fitting for his character (In the show, at least).

Rosita pretty much got Andrea's comic death, although presumably Daryl didn't hesitate killing the brain offscreen like Rick did in the comics (Leaving him in a brief fight with Walker andrea).

It's been confirmed that Chandler Riggs makes a cameo as an extra presumably in the finale scenes. Carl's ghost, maybe....(Which actually wouldn't be that weird, there's several scenes where 'dead' characters appeared as hallucinations).

For honor... Madam-Shogun-Assassin's Avatar

Yeah Daryl got a huge payday after season 9 so you knew he was safe. The fact Daryl, and Carol lasted so long is baffling. As far as the ending goes I think it was about as good as it can be. Because even in the comic there was no grand finale or anything. It just unceremoniously ended. Which was fine I guess.

Reportedly they were going to write Carol out in the prison arc (and she does vanish for a while with everybody presuming she died until Daryl finds her) like in the comics, although even by that point Carol was largely different than her comic counterpart (Who still had a living Sophia), but I think somebody (Gimple?) decided to let her live and become sort of a badass and best friend of Daryl.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I wonder if the new series will be a little better received now because they are in no way related to any comic stories. I don't have a lot of hope because A World Beyond was just a horrible show with horrible characters, but maybe with established characters it might be different but then again that has not really helped Fear the Walking Dead much.

It could go either way if they just get so new writers on board.

Think FTWD was getting a lot better in season 3, but then mostly dropped that in favor of mostly new characters or ones from TWD (Morgan, Dwight, Sherry) in season 4 & 5. Season 6 was a bit better but season 7 has been a bit of a mess.

I suppose Daryl could pop by Morgan and Co. if he's in the neighborhood of wherever they are now (Louisiana?) before he winds up in Paris.
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 11-23-2022 at 01:10 PM.

I got to give the MVP to the series finale to the babies. Those poor little ones don't know that **** is fake all they knew a monster was coming at them thru their cribs.

Oh I agree as much as I loved Negan killing Glenn was the start of the decline which worsened with Rick and Michonne leaving.

If you look at the scene again I think it's pretty clear that they were filmed separately as some shots are from Coco and other's POV, with maybe one or two SFX shots when they seemed to be in the same frame (you also don't see the Walker's face there).