Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Default Should Superman get an anthology series like Batman has?

DC just announced that they are doing another Batman Black and White series. I personally love this series. So do you think that Superman should have another one too?
    Assassinate Putin!

Well they already gave the Black and White and Red to harley Quinn, so what would be Superman's, Black and White and Blue?

Yes, Superman should get an anthology like this one, but he won't.

It would depend on the the names announced but otherwise sure, don't have any interest in the moment at Bats or Harley's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Well they already gave the Black and White and Red to harley Quinn, so what would be Superman's, Black and White and Blue?

Yes, Superman should get an anthology like this one, but he won't.
    "Red, White, and Gold"?

I really enjoyed the Adventures of Superman, so that's a hard yes from me .

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I really enjoyed the Adventures of Superman, so that's a hard yes from me .
    Adventures of Superman was great. There were a few misses, the one where he made an edgy alternate hero identity was... bizarre. But overall it was great. I’d love another anthology, but I’d also love a shot at a Batman Eternal weekly comic. Call it Superman Infinite

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Adventures of Superman was great. There were a few misses, the one where he made an edgy alternate hero identity was... bizarre. But overall it was great. I’d love another anthology, but I’d also love a shot at a Batman Eternal weekly comic. Call it Superman Infinite
    Oh man, I remember that one. That story was so weird .

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    It would depend on the the names announced but otherwise sure, don't have any interest in the moment at Bats or Harley's.

"Red, White, and Gold"?
    That would be Shazam

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Oh man, I remember that one. That story was so weird .
    I’m just really hungry for a series that touches on every aspect of Superman lore. From Smallville to Metropolis to Krypton. From the 21st century to the 853rd. Really want some series to try and tackle everything.

I’m just really hungry for a series that touches on every aspect of Superman lore. From Smallville to Metropolis to Krypton. From the 21st century to the 853rd. Really want some series to try and tackle everything.
    And give it to Kurt Busiek. Let him do whatever he wants.

Astonishing Member

Yeah, definitely.

In fact, it would be one way to give us every version of Superman, and move beyond all the squabbles between different continuities. Every arc can be set in its own continuity, or self-contained universe, for all we know.

The first arc could be set in 1938 and feature the Siegal/Shuster Superman in all his "champion of the oppressed" glory. The next story could be Superman on an adventure in Kandor. The story after that could be a Lois & Clark story during the early days of their marriage. Followed by a one-shot about the Earth 23 POTUS Superman. Or one with a grown-up Jon Kent as Superman. And so on. The possibilities are endless.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

There are so many ideas this could be an ongoing!
    Assassinate Putin!

Yeah, that was a weird story. But I remember really liking that comic overall as well. I think my favorite story was when he convinced Bizarro to act as a living space probe by figuring out his backwards speech meanings - or maybe the one where a time traveler came back to help Superman deal with a space-baby who turned out to be... the time traveler himself.

There were a number of good stories in that series.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    Yeah, definitely.

In fact, it would be one way to give us every version of Superman, and move beyond all the squabbles between different continuities. Every arc can be set in its own continuity, or self-contained universe, for all we know.
    Sold! I'd read the heck outta that. I think a lot of fans would. In fact, I think that's honestly kind of the primary way that most fans engage with Superman and other DC heroes in the first place these days - less as a continuous character, more as variants on an archetype. So literalizing that seems like a natural good idea to me!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

A LEGENDS OF THE DARK KNIGHT or ADVENTURES OF SUPERMAN style book would be great. Sure, not everything is going to light your reading pile on fire but anthologies are rad and there's a ton of room for more experimental storytelling and new ideas.

Incredible Member

the old showcase 95 anthology highlight all the superman character stories.