Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    BANNED

Came to say what Bert said. They encourage you to do both when someone gets out of line, don't be passive (but also don't go overboard and report someone who just wants to start a discussion about why they disagree with your point of view). Outside of specific appreciation threads there should be an expectation of different viewpoints being expressed and the positive and negative aspects of comics and characters being discussed. Harassment or trolling however shouldn't be tolerated.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneNecromancer View Post
    That said, given my experience, I'd say CBR is still one of the better places to talk about comics. Leagues ahead of the other forums, comicvine, and all the other sites like 4chan or Tumblr, on the grounds it's both active and there are mods here who are actually active about trying to stamp out some of the harsher stuff (and I won't pretend I haven't done that stuff from time to time, but I've been dealt with accordingly).
    Yep, people on CBR are a lot less likely to call you a troll, misogynist, gaylord or whatever for having an unpopular opinion.

I don't mind the debates, until they get repetitive. I used to discuss Hal vs John alot, then after a couple hundred page threads I got a bit bored of the subject.

Astonishing Member WillieMorgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    I don't mind the debates, until they get repetitive. I used to discuss Hal vs John alot, then after a couple hundred page threads I got a bit bored of the subject.
    Yeah, the threads about comics and films being considered too 'dark' started to wear me down after a while.

Extraordinary Member

Turn the other cheek. At the end of the day, they're only brave behind a screen.

I give my opinions. If I look back and I went a little too far, I'm not too proud to apologize. But if I am just giving an opinion or making a joke. I don't care if people like it or not
    "At my core I was never a hero, I was a hunter"

I grew very non-confrontational around the time I first registered at CBR, although this has nothing to do with the forum. Whenever someone would post a caustic remark at me, I would kind of ignore it. Not because I felt indifferent to the offence, but because I hate fights IRL and I dislike when someone is trying to pick a fight with me on the net, because I primarily read and post for the fun and not the drama. I'm okay with confrontational posts that are well-founded and well-grounded, though.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

BANNED

The important thing to realize is that those people are secretly attracted to you, but too shy to openly admit it.
    So, ask them to PM you a pic, and if they're cute, offer them intercourse. Usually works.

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    The important thing to realize is that those people are secretly attracted to you, but too shy to openly admit it.
    So, ask them to PM you a pic, and if they're cute, offer them intercourse. Usually works.
    This is brilliant advice for life in general, not just this message board. Thank you for sharing your wisdom pip.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    Yep, people on CBR are a lot less likely to call you a troll, misogynist, gaylord or whatever for having an unpopular opinion.
    That used to me way more common on the old boards + people harassing you because of comm stuff outside the comm.

Retired

I usually try to indicate in a civil way that i have a problem with a certain response. Usually folks realize they overstepped and make amends--and that's the end of it. But if someone continues along that line, i don't engage with them. In the past, on the old boards, I had a growing list of posters on ignore. I haven't yet used the ignore button here since the reboot.

But, in the past I've also dropped out of some message boards or some forums--although in those situations, I realized that it was because I had issues with more than one poster and I couldn't see a way to stay on the board and avoid conflict.

I hate getting dragged into flame wars. In my early internet life, I could find myself being attacked, unaware of how I got myself into such a situation. With experience, I've learned to spot the signs and withdraw before it gets that far. But sometimes posters can surprise you and seemingly turn on you for no reason.

One thing I guess we should all take into account is that people have other lives outside these forums. They may be going through all kinds of turmoil that you don't know about. That doesn't forgive incivility, but it explains a lot of it.

BANNED

There's people that insult you for having an opinion different from theirs, people that hate that you like something and try to tell you why it's horribly wrong, people that try to argue with you even if you don't want to, and insult you for not defending your stance, etc.
    How about try people insulting you out of the blue and attacking you simply because you don't exactly agree with his opinion or side on a debate and then accusing you of being someone else that he's been arguing against?

Or people insulting you no matter how nice and civil you tried to be to them?

Those two scenarios would be worthy additions to the OP.

BANNED

Ignore function.

I've never used it (and don't think I've ever seen it), but I hear it works for those having the OP's problems.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Sniper View Post
    How about try people insulting you out of the blue and attacking you simply because you don't exactly agree with his opinion or side on a debate and then accusing you of being someone else that he's been arguing against?

Or people insulting you no matter how nice and civil you tried to be to them?

Those two scenarios would be worthy additions to the OP.
    My problems stem from when people see you say one thing and then use that one thing you said to assume a bunch of other things they have no actual basis to assume. I think overall people here can handle different opinions more or less well, but there are still certain subjects here that will bring out that type of "can't handle anyone who doesn't believe what I believe" type of attitude.

My thing is though I don't really report people, never have. I just find that some people are far too trigger happy with when they decide to report someone. For me, I'll either discuss a problem or merely stop paying attention to them. That is the same reason I have never and will never put anyone on ignore, no matter what. I don't feel I should have to hide from any user here. The thing is if I do not like what someone is saying there is nothing that says I have to engage this person. I more or less don't need to put someone on the ignore list in order to successfully ignore them.

BANNED

Take it to PM. I have found a lot of times an internet debate is intense but when you communicate privately you will find the person debating is more civil.

That being said, you can tell if someone just doesn't want to discuss anything with you outside of debating if they don't return your private messages.

The phenomena of internet debates is usually over who is right or who can prove their superiority over another..when you take it private there is no audience to win over ( And thus less jerk behavior)

Try to PM whomever you are having a disagreement with.

If they don't wish to communicate on friendly terms..the problem is usually on their end.
    Last edited by ExcelsiorPrime; 08-16-2014 at 02:43 PM.

I personally believe in a strategy of outliving one's adversaries.

Seriously, the people who are the most rude and combative tend to take themselves off the forum and get banned. Yeah, sometimes it takes awhile, but it only makes it more satisfying when they're finally gone for good.

That being said, there are people who you will disagree with on the internet. Sometimes, it's worth having them so you're not in your own echo chamber, and you should appreciate them for their differences of opinion (unless they really are a total wanker).
    X-Books Forum Mutant Tracker/FAQ- Updated every Tuesday.