• Bookshelves

4 26.67%
  • Digital

4 26.67%
  • Other

4 26.67%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Default How do YOU store your comics?

Do you store them in longboxes? Do you have them on a bookshelf? Do you buy digital? Do you leave them laying all over the floor so you can lay in them and create some kind of weird comic book snow angel?

The world wants to know!
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 02:46 PM.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

With my parents.

MXAAGVNIEETRO IS RIGHT MyriVerse's Avatar

Lots of longboxes, but I'm not very good about storage of recent books. I also have a bunch just stacked haphazardly on shelves.

And yeah, several TBs of digital copies on drives.
    f/k/a The Black Guardian
    COEXIST | NOEXIST
    ShadowcatMagikДаякѕтая Sto☈mDustMercury MonetRachelSage
    MagnetoNightcrawlerColossusRockslideBeastXavier

Retired

I store my most valued comics in lateral filing cabinets. The rest are mostly in short boxes on shelving--with a few long boxes on the floor, for the overflow. I found that long boxes became too much of a headache--so I originally switched to mainly short boxes on shelves, but then I had the idea to get the filing cabinets. Ultimately I'd like to have just the filing cabinets, but that's a lot of planning (where to put them) and work. Actually, when I was a kid I just had them in one box and then I put them in vertical filing cabinets, before going to the long boxes.

I like the idea of filing cabinets but I don't think I have space for them. About half of my books are on bookshelves and the other half are in longboxes stacked in a closet.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 02:46 PM.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

Plastic storage boxes, though I have a few on a bookshelf.
    Original join date: 11/23/2004
    Eclectic Connoisseur of all things written, drawn, or imaginatively created.

Quote Originally Posted by Tami View Post
    Plastic storage boxes, though I have a few on a bookshelf.
    This. Long boxes were never my jam, too cumbersome and I'm getting old. The 'joy' of moving a collection inside of the normal tiresome process of moving in general has shaped everything. A gang of short boxes isn't quite ideal either so many years ago I went to the Rubbermaid, what 14 or 18 gallon totes. They hold just as much as a long box, even a few more, plus the effort on your back in lifting a square is better than a long ass rectangle. They don't display well but they can be hidden better.

I can get real dork about it really. Get a few boxes from Aldi and they make perfect short, short boxes and a step further, Frankenstein them as in cut them joints down and hit the sides with a glue gun and you can shape whatever need you might have. I got a baby box for stuff I got to read, another for needing mylars and so on.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I checked off longboxes and digital because I switched to digital a few years back and use Kindle Cloud or Comixology. I just didn't have enough room left for the floppies and it was getting to be difficult to get comics because of always being sold out etc. But before that I wouldn't dream of going digital because I prefer to have something I can hold in my hands. Oh well... this really has been better for me now. good sales, less work too.

Lots of different ways. Trades/hardcovers are on bookshelves. The rest are stored a few different ways. Many are in file cabinets, one vertical, the others 3 horizontal. Some are in short boxes, while others are stored/displayed in plastic in plastic bins, smaller white ones for comics and larger black ones for magazine sized comics. Some of the short boxes are the newer graphic boxes, such as the Conan boxes I keep my Conan stuff in, others the plain white short boxes. Some comics are in cardboard magazine files on bookshelves as well, and newer acquisitions (both back issues and new releases) are piled near my desk until I have time to process them and put them where they go.

You can see examples of a few of them in this pic-both types of short boxes on the shelves, the Tarzan books above in the white crate, and some magazine sized stuff in the black crate-thing below...

More of the short boxes on shelves...

I also have a bunch of magazine sized comics (mostly my runs of Savage Sword and Heavy Metal) that are stored/displayed in a DIY storage unit-a tall, narrow bookshelf that I removed the shelves from, painted, then laid atop a built in bookshelf so it was vertical rather than horizontal and the books could fit inside it like it was several wooden short boxes in one, like so...

most of my choices were for accessibility and ascetics of display. I dislike long boxes, and I find the white boxes bland, but the graphics boxes are not quite as sturdy. I am considering some decoupage-ish attempt to spruce up the white short boxes in the future, but I am not sure I have the time to undertake that any time soon.

Stuff is also divided between two rooms-the upstairs finished attic (where the pics are from) which holds all the trades and a portion of the individual issues-mostly the DC stuff, and particular collections like the Conan and Tarzan stuff, and the finished gaming room (for tabletop rpg playing with fiends ) in the basement, where all the file cabinets and shelves with magazine files are, which hold most of the Marvel and indy stuff (plus all our rpg stuff).

So I found it difficult to pick a choice on the poll, as I use several different storage methods.

-M
    Comic fans get the comics their buying habits deserve.

"Opinion is the lowest form of human knowledge. It requires no accountability, no understanding." -Plato

Astonishing Member

I have them in my garage on long boxes stacked 4 high. I heard 5 high poses a danger so I've refrained from that. My collection is over 40k so my wife has now started to complain about them.

Astonishing Member

I store my comics in bookshelves.All vertically incluiding the single issues that are bagged and boarded.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I forgot I have two of those short boxes. They became very convenient.