21. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Run (2003-06)

14 66.67%
  • Second Run (2016-17)

7 33.33%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I liked Rucka's 2nd run far better than this first. His portrayal of Cheetah vastly improved in his 2nd run and the stories seemed more intricate and fleshed out. The art by Nicola Scott and Liam Sharp was also superior to the art from his first run by Drew Johnson.
    First run gets my vote, based on stories alone.

While his second run had superior art overall, I actually did like Drew Johnson and wish he had drawn more issues. Cliff Richards (whom at the time I only knew from Dark Horse's Buffy: TVS comics) was a poor fit. I think he's gotten a bit better as seen in his recent Justice League Odyssey work.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

I legit don't get the love for Rucka's first run. What makes a modern creator driven comic book are the arcs and Rucka's first run doesn't have much of one. Is it just the Medusa thing? Maybe you people just like the all the gore in it...
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    I legit don't get the love for Rucka's first run. What makes a modern creator driven comic book are the arcs and Rucka's first run doesn't have much of one. Is it just the Medusa thing? Maybe you people just like the all the gore in it...
    But it has several arcs?

A tough question as I enjoyed both runs quite a bit. I'll go with number one which was just that much better, IMO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    But it has several arcs?
    I mean long form story telling, similar to something you may see in a season of a tv show.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

I mean long form story telling, similar to something you may see in a season of a tv show.
    The tensions between Themyscira and the U.S.? Athena and Ares taking over the pantheon? Circe and Lyta?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    The tensions between Themyscira and the U.S.? Athena and Ares taking over the pantheon? Circe and Lyta?
    Also the stuff with Vanessa (carried over from Jimenez's run), which would have lead to a further fallout between Veronica and Leslie. And Leslie had the romance with Ferdinand.

It had plenty of longform story telling, it's just that it got ended way early because Rucka was taken off the book. it was also patterned off of a TV show, it's drawn comparisons to West Wing.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

What everyone else said, plus the embassy staff. I loved all the world building, and am sure there would've been a better pay off had editorial/Infinite Crisis not upended it all. but, such is the way of the industry.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Artwork aside, the first run without a doubt. The second run only showed that Rucka needs an editor with a strong hand to keep his ego under control.
    Last edited by Thomas Crown; 09-11-2020 at 11:16 AM.
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    It is kind of weird that a team made up of female doctors didn't include the evil female scientist who is probably the most recognizable Wonder Woman villain after Cheetah.
    I felt one of the only villain missteps was making Poison a mercenary, so would have worked to have Giganta be the muscle of the group instead of Poison.
    Gignata definitely would have suited the role of Cale's hired bodyguard better. Maru just doesn't make sense in that capacity. It's like he wanted someone in that role, but used Maru to tie into the movie maybe? I do like the Maru virus in Year One though, I wish it could have been accompanied by a full blown Dr. Poison appearance.

Something like Seeley's revamp of Saturna/Eviless and the Crimson Men would have been good to fill Team Poison's function as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Psy-lock View Post
    First run by far. Better stories, better gods, better characters (Cheetah sucked though). In Rebirth I don't like how he treated the villains, making Cale the most important entity in the Wonderverse, responsible for Cheetah's and Cyber's origins. Cyber is especially insulting, from criminal mastermind to secretary, what a downgrade! Poison was also reduced to some mercenary henching for Cale, and Ares was essentially removed from Diana's Rogues Gallery. The origin story was good, but the present day stuff was mostly about retconning the New 52 run (and not in a good way if you ask me) then actually telling a good story.
    I was a little turned off by this as well at first, but it's grown on me. Cyber was never really anything but a cool design before hand, she never had much character or backstory. Plus the ending of this had it set up for her strike out on her own. She should head her own organization and build an android body like in Bloodlines.

But it's DC , so that farted out lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    Artwork aside, the first run without a doubt. The second run only showed that Rucka needs an editor with a strong hand to keep his ego under control.
    He did exactly what the editors wanted him to do though.

And there were some pretty egotistical decisions that went into the previous reboot that he and other creatives/fans took issue with. And it was their turn again.

Gignata definitely would have suited the role of Cale's hired bodyguard better. Maru just doesn't make sense in that capacity. It's like he wanted someone in that role, but used Maru to tie into the movie maybe? I do like the Maru virus in Year One though, I wish it could have been accompanied by a full blown Dr. Poison appearance.

Something like Seeley's revamp of Saturna/Eviless and the Crimson Men would have been good to fill Team Poison's function as well.
    Yeah, a more traditional Poison in Year One who working for the SEARS group who then gets picked up by Cale for Godwatch would have been cool, Giganta as the merc muscle/bodyguard.

Forgot about Seeley's revamp of Saturna/Eviless from the Steve Trevor special. Talk about a brief renaissance for WW rogues.

Yeah, a more traditional Poison in Year One who working for the SEARS group who then gets picked up by Cale for Godwatch would have been cool, Giganta as the merc muscle/bodyguard.

Forgot about Seeley's revamp of Saturna/Eviless from the Steve Trevor special. Talk about a brief renaissance for WW rogues.
    And then Robinson used Blue Snowman and Zara.

Fully formed Villainy Inc + Cale and Cyber was almost in our grasp. Why did we have to get Jason instead

I think both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Rebirth definitely has stronger art, and it shows that Rucka improved as a writer, in terms of pacing and structuring a plot, and in characterisation. At the same time, Rebirth suffers from being required to undo the Azzarello run, and I think the book suffers from having to rush out the stories—not enough time to reflect, discuss, and polish. I also think that it did some missteps in handling Doctor Poison, Etta, and Steve.

His first run is more varied and creative in the villains and problems that Diana faces, and I think it benefited from that. However, the art is usually no better than mediocre, and I think his handling of Greek mythology left a lot to be desired, however awesome the battle with Medusa was.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

And then Robinson used Blue Snowman and Zara.

Fully formed Villainy Inc + Cale and Cyber was almost in our grasp. Why did we have to get Jason instead
    Fear in the back of mind is Jason and Grail showing up in a third WW movie.

Fear in the back of mind is Jason and Grail showing up in a third WW movie.
    I think Circe is more likely.

I preferred how he handled Circe in the first run to the second.