21. You may not vote on this poll
  • First Run (2003-06)

14 66.67%
  • Second Run (2016-17)

7 33.33%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think Circe is more likely.

I preferred how he handled Circe in the first run to the second.
    I liked how handled Circe, and Ares also, in both his runs rather equally for the most part. Though I did like the wrinkle Lyta added to Circe's character, that's unfortunately has been long removed at this point.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Circe read the same to me in both pretty much. It's mostly that she had the built in antagonistic history with Diana in the first run plus the Lyta stuff, which weren't present in Rebirth.

I don't like her rather plain design in Rebirth though, at least not as her main look. It's fine if she's hanging out casually, and we have the plot device of her being able to zap herself into different outfits. The Dodson design has always been my favorite for her, so I'd like the Evely design when she's mingling with normal people and cutting deals, and zapping into the Dodson design when she's throwing down with Wonder Woman or doing some heavy spells.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Circe read the same to me in both pretty much. It's mostly that she had the built in antagonistic history with Diana in the first run plus the Lyta stuff, which weren't present in Rebirth.

I don't like her rather plain design in Rebirth though, at least not as her main look. It's fine if she's hanging out casually, and we have the plot device of her being able to zap herself into different outfits. The Dodson design has always been my favorite for her, so I'd like the Evely design when she's mingling with normal people and cutting deals, and zapping into the Dodson design when she's throwing down with Wonder Woman or doing some heavy spells.
    Ironically, Cale was given Circe's basic story motivations from the first run of needing to get to Themyscira because of something pertaining to her daughter.

Though I guess they're both riffs on Golden Age Paula.
    Last edited by Gaius; 09-12-2020 at 11:51 AM.

Yeah, I think my biggest disappointment with Rucka's Circe in the second run is she never transformed into her "true form."

Sure, Rucka's orginal run does have themes and consistant elements, but it's not as tightly written as his second go. Here are some things that stand out for me;

>> Venessa's arc never seems to be resolved. She straight up kills someone in the first few issues for being a whistleblower, quite brutally too and for very petty reasons, and she basically gets away with it as she disapears after the Medusa arc.
    >> The Gods are very inconsistent. Aries says he and Aphrodite have become the most powerful gods, but this idea isn't actually used later on in the plot.
    >> Cassie has a major backstory reveal, despite the character not being featured in the run before, or after this arc
    >> The O.M.A.C stuff comes out of nowhere (I don't fault Rucka for this obviously, but it still matters when analyzing a story)

I just don't think its as tightly written as his second attempt. There are some other things that bother me too;

>> I'm not a fan of his Medusa, first because I think its a pretty lazy choice for a villain. Wonder Woman's mythos has basically become pop Greek mythology for awhile now, so it was more or less inevitable that she would fight Medusa (she fought an illusion of Medusa in Messner-Loebs's run already). Second, I just don't think he did anything interesting with the character, she's just a bad guy. She and Wonder Woman don't really have any intersting chemistry between each other or history for that matter. Medusa just attacks Wonder Woman as a courtesy. Third, she pretty incompetent as a villain, as her only strength is her stone gaze and Wonder Woman literally defeats her with her eyes closed.
    >> I don't like the embassy either, I think it ruins a lot of the mystery of Amazon Island when you have them occupy an office building. Not to mention it just reads to me "Villains, attack here!" which obviously happens. Like, its kind of irresponsible to have kids running around a building that will most likely to be attacked.
    Last edited by Pinsir; 09-12-2020 at 12:27 PM.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Extraordinary Member

Rucka's first run was the first time I was ever sold on a secret identity-less Diana (the second - and only other - run was Azzarello's). He was actually able to make the concept of embassy life in a superhero comic interesting, which up until that point I thought was a straight up impossibility. That astounding feat alone makes it the winner for me. And while I appreciated his use of Steve Trevor during his second run, I really didn't care for his take at all.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Sure, Rucka's orginal run does have themes and consistant elements, but it's not as tightly written as his second go. Here are some things that stand out for me;

>> Venessa's arc never seems to be resolved. She straight up kills someone in the first few issues for being a whistleblower, quite brutally too and for very petty reasons, and she basically gets away with it as she disapears after the Medusa arc.
    >> The Gods are very inconsistent. Aries says he and Aphrodite have become the most powerful gods, but this idea isn't actually used later on in the plot.
    >> Cassie has a major backstory reveal, despite the character not being featured in the run before, like the character was feature before or after this arc

>> The O.M.A.C stuff comes out of nowhere (I don't fault Rucka for this obviously, but it still matters when analyzing a story)

I just don't think its as tightly written as his second attempt. There are some other things that bother me too;

>> I'm not a fan of his Medusa, first because I think its a pretty lazy choice for a villain. Wonder Woman's mythos has basically become pop Greek mythology for awhile now, so it was more or less inevitable that she would fight Medusa (she fought an illusion of Medusa in Messner-Loebs's run already). Second, I just don't think he did anything interesting with the character, she's just a bad guy. She and Wonder Woman don't really have any intersting chemistry between each other or history for that matter. Medusa just attacks Wonder Woman as a courtesy. Third, she pretty incompetent as a villain, as her only strength is her stone gaze and Wonder Woman literally defeats her with her eyes closed.
    >> I don't like the embassy either, I think it ruins a lot of the mystery of Amazon Island when you have them occupy an office building. Not to mention it just reads to me "Villains, attack here!" which obviously happens. Like, its kind of irresponsible to have kids running around a building that will most likely to be attacked.
    Focusing on the emboldened parts.
    1. That was Veronica, wasn't it? Vanessa's turn as the Silver Swan was dealt with rather early on and then went back to relative normalcy once she got healed up.
    2. Aphrodite I'll grant you, but Ares killing Hades and taking over the Underworld seems a part of the whole idea he, Athena, and Aphrodite have become more powerful
    3. She wasn't a central character sure but she did make enough appearances beforehand and far more than she has since. Granted I don't really care for the Zeus daddy retcon for Cassie.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phonogram12 View Post
    Rucka's first run was the first time I was ever sold on a secret identity-less Diana (the second - and only other - run was Azzarello's). He was actually able to make the concept of embassy life in a superhero comic interesting, which up until that point I thought was a straight up impossibility. That astounding feat alone makes it the winner for me. And while I appreciated his use of Steve Trevor during his second run, I really didn't care for his take at all.
    I really liked Steve in Rebirth, but I wasn't blown away by him either. Not compared to the movie version at last. I mostly appreciate that they made a point of remembering Steve and Etta should be at the forefront of her supporting cast even if I wasn't 100% sold on the execution. Especially for Etta, who really shouldn't be a co-worker for Steve. They needed to drop that a long ass time ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Focusing on the emboldened parts.
    1. That was Veronica, wasn't it? Vanessa's turn as the Silver Swan was dealt with rather early on and then went back to relative normalcy once she got healed up.
    2. Aphrodite I'll grant you, but Ares killing Hades and taking over the Underworld seems a part of the whole idea he, Athena, and Aphrodite have become more powerful
    3. She wasn't a central character sure but she did make enough appearances beforehand and far more than she has since. Granted I don't really care for the Zeus daddy retcon for Cassie.
    Yeah, that was Veronica.

Much like the OMAC stuff, these trailing plot threads can't really be put on Rucka. They were cut short, he didn't finish them this way by choice and there was going to be more for all of them presumably.

And the Cassie and Vanessa stuff is there because it's following up on the Jimenez run, which is what the mainstream continuity does. That's actually an example of a change in hands of writers working well.

I really liked Steve in Rebirth, but I wasn't blown away by him either. Not compared to the movie version at last. I mostly appreciate that they made a point of remembering Steve and Etta should be at the forefront of her supporting cast even if I wasn't 100% sold on the execution. Especially for Etta, who really shouldn't be a co-worker for Steve. They needed to drop that a long ass time ago.

Yeah, that was Veronica.

Much like the OMAC stuff, these trailing plot threads can't really be put on Rucka. They were cut short, he didn't finish them this way by choice and there was going to be more for all of them presumably.

And the Cassie and Vanessa stuff is there because it's following up on the Jimenez run, which is what the mainstream continuity does. That's actually an example of a change in hands of writers working well.
    Especially since Vanessa as the Swan as a limited life-span given it makes Diana look kind of horrible if that goes on long-term.

I really liked Steve in Rebirth, but I wasn't blown away by him either. Not compared to the movie version at last. I mostly appreciate that they made a point of remembering Steve and Etta should be at the forefront of her supporting cast even if I wasn't 100% sold on the execution. Especially for Etta, who really shouldn't be a co-worker for Steve. They needed to drop that a long ass time ago. .
    Or if she is a co-worker, give her some actual personality.

First run without contest. It is criminal what editorial did with that run and the exceptional evolution of the mythology. Sadly we will never see the Old Gods vs the New Gods that would have been the main throughline of the next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Or if she is a co-worker, give her some actual personality.
    I thought Bloodlines did that well enough while still using the Rebirth setup.