Default Anti-Meat Philosophy of Empyre Cotati

I just wanted to isolate a subject brought up in mostly Pannadel’s LOE Celestial Messiah and Swordsman books, about whether any readers give any credence to this argument, that plants aren’t concerned with killing, and animals are concerned with killing.

In the animal sense, most creatures are concerned with propagating their species, and finding other sources of protean, like other animals and plants. From the plant sense, most plants are concerned with propagating their species by distributing their spores, but not killing other animals to get protean.

So, is there a demarcation of the species into these categories of killing or not killing? If you were a Cotati, would you see life in terms of plants being a purer form of life, without the sin of killing, and, the animals as this species that decimates all other species by killing, as a matter of course?

I speak to plants. I do think plants are affected by other plants around them, eg when one Plant is sick, it drags other plants around that area to be unwell. If you remove that sick plant, the rest suddenly thrive. There is subjective thought plants communicate with their roots underground, and convey vital information about poisons etc. It suggests that plants are intelligent, and sensitive to attack from disease, or foraging.

Is Pannadel’s anti-meat perspective that meat is the harbinger of all danger to plant life, or, is their another deeper co-existence going on in the environment? From one perspective I can agree with this argument. I am wondering if other readers can come in on this discussion just to see whether they can see the Cotati perspective in this?
    Last edited by jackolover; 09-11-2020 at 02:03 AM.

Death to...vegans?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    Death to...vegans?
    Veganism really is just discrimination against meat-based food products.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post
    Veganism really is just discrimination against meat-based food products.
    Well, I tried Is it just me or does Marvel seem obsessed with plants lately?
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Astonishing Member

Animals supposedly taste better shortly after being killed because of the adrenaline. I wonder if it's the same for the cotati.

Plants are ferociously competitive for sunlight and soil nutrients. It's just not visible to human eyes, but anyone who has tried to farm knows just how hard plants fight if you, as the farmer, don't rig the game in favor of your crops.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelC View Post
    Plants are ferociously competitive for sunlight and soil nutrients. It's just not visible to human eyes, but anyone who has tried to farm knows just how hard plants fight if you, as the farmer, don't rig the game in favor of your crops.
    “Competitive” would suggest that the plants are aware that they are depriving another plant resources though, yeah? Which, I guess, is a debatable point.

From my brief search, only 1% of plants are considered parasitic, as a side note.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jackolover View Post
    I just wanted to isolate a subject brought up in mostly Pannadel’s LOE Celestial Messiah and Swordsman books, about whether any readers give any credence to this argument, that plants aren’t concerned with killing, and animals are concerned with killing.

In the animal sense, most creatures are concerned with propagating their species, and finding other sources of protean, like other animals and plants. From the plant sense, most plants are concerned with propagating their species by distributing their spores, but not killing other animals to get protean.

So, is there a demarcation of the species into these categories of killing or not killing? If you were a Cotati, would you see life in terms of plants being a purer form of life, without the sin of killing, and, the animals as this species that decimates all other species by killing, as a matter of course?

I speak to plants. I do think plants are affected by other plants around them, eg when one Plant is sick, it drags other plants around that area to be unwell. If you remove that sick plant, the rest suddenly thrive. There is subjective thought plants communicate with their roots underground, and convey vital information about poisons etc. It suggests that plants are intelligent, and sensitive to attack from disease, or foraging.

Is Pannadel’s anti-meat perspective that meat is the harbinger of all danger to plant life, or, is their another deeper co-existence going on in the environment? From one perspective I can agree with this argument. I am wondering if other readers can come in on this discussion just to see whether they can see the Cotati perspective in this?
    Reject the premise, google "carnivorous plant" and have fun. And I'm not talking about the fictional Little Shop of Horrors kind. (Everybody sing: "Feed me, Seymour/ Feed me all night long!") Real life plants, really, really serious about eating meat. The Cobra Lily is probably my favorite, but there are others. It's a myth that animals are the only ones with a predatory, flesh craving complex. I'm always amazed when writers either don't do their research, or try to sell their metaphysical psychobabble despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary.

Last edited by JudicatorPrime; 09-12-2020 at 02:39 AM.

Mighty Member

"The circle of life".

Ultimate Member

In honor of meat-based life's victory over the cotati, I ate a veggie sub today.