Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Default Supporting characters who made the film/tv show more than the star

Ever watched a movie or a tv show where the supporting character(s) became more about the show for you than the supposed star?

That was the case on Seinfeld, and it was by design.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Buffy. Angel and Spike ended up being the things I liked most about that world unfortunately. But I still enjoyed buffy.

The Wire- I guess its an ensamble there is no main character
    But Stringer Bell, Omar, and Wallace were more interesting to me then the main team of cop. Probaly not a coincidence those 3 actors are bigger then the rest. 2 of them are bona-fide movie stars and the other is one the best character actors working. Hes killing it on Love Craft right now.
    Last edited by Midvillian1322; 09-11-2020 at 05:59 AM.

I really liked Spenser from "Spenser: For Hire," but man, I just kept waiting for Hawk to show up....!!

The *best* episodes of "The New Girl" were the ones where Zooey Deschanel was out on maternity leave. The rest of the cast is hilarious - she just dragged the show down.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 09-11-2020 at 06:30 AM.

Retired

D'uh, the Fonze.

Also, Nora Durst on THE LEFTOVERS. It didn't seem like she was supposed to be the lead in the first season, but Carrie Coon was the one I was watching it to see more of. Like with the Fonze, it eventually became her show in subsequent seasons.

Steve Urkel on Family Matters.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

Hi I'm Larry, this is my brother Darryl, this is my other brother Darryl.
    Beefing up the old home security, huh?
    You bet yer ass.

Boisterously Confused

Star Trek's Mr. Spock. Allegedly, the attention and fan mail Nimoy got used to drive Shattner bat****.

Van Williams starred as the Green Hornet.

His sidekick was Bruce Lee.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I can't really stay invested in a show/movie if I don't have a strong liking/attachment to the protagonist. But I can like a side character more.

For Seinfeld, I like the other three leads more than Jerry
    Evangelion, my favorites are Asuka (obvs) and Misato over Shinji
    Letterkenny- this one's tough because I love Wayne, but the whole support crew makes it as well (especially Glen, the Coach, Gail, Tanis, etc).

Garrett Moore played by Gregory Jbara On Blue Bloods. Every scene he is in is just so enjoyable. I watch the show because of him.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Better Call Saul- kim, nacho, chuck, and lalo help make the prequel a success because they add a sense of mystery and intrigue.

On Cheers, Ted Danson was far from the most interesting character.
    On Taxi that was doubly so for Judd Hirsch.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Yeah on Seinfeld Jerry and to a lesser extent Elaine were sort of intended to be the "straight man" to the more cartoonish George and Kramer. Although gradually this started to change, especially with the plots becoming more cartoonish.

Talking film, Han Solo/Harrison Ford of course became the breakout character/star for Star Wars. Also Vader, who comes across as more of 'the heavy' in the first film, but once he became extremely popular, pretty much the whole saga eventually revolved around him.

Norman Reedus as Carol and Melissa Mcbride as Daryl are pretty much this for TWD, eclipsing Rick a bit at times. No wonder they're getting their own show.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Seinfeld is a good one because Jerry has flat out said he needed better actors around him to take the focus off the fact he was not a good actor. He needed the over the topness of George and Kramer to hide his own acting flaws at least for those first few seasons, and he has always been very open about the fact he was really not a good actor.