Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BANNED

Default Dangling plotlines from Empyre...

So I guess Empyre finished, to pretty mixed reviews. I didn't read all of it but from what little I did I have to agree that it wasn't what it could've been. However, Al Ewing (and to a lesser extent Dan Slott) seeded a bunch of interesting stuff in, and building up to the event. I'll list some here.

1. The Masked Raider. Who is under the eternity mask? This guys powers seem pretty interesting. He also has a cool look and legacy. I hope this will be followed up soon.

2. The Three X's. Blue Marvel, Jimmy Woo and Night Thrasher working together to covertly figure out cases behind the scenes. This definitely needs to be followed up and worked into the status quo.

3. Abigail Brand. So I guess she quit SWORD/Alpha Flight or whatever it's called now, to form another covert group with Manifold and some others. Where is this going?

4. Nick Fury. What's going on in the Moon? Is Uatu officially back? Does that mean the original Nick Fury is also back in action?

Any thoughts on these developements and plotlines? Where do you see them going? Or will they just be ignored like so many dangling plots in Marvel books?

Quote Originally Posted by Ying Ko View Post
    So I guess Empyre finished, to pretty mixed reviews. I didn't read all of it but from what little I did I have to agree that it wasn't what it could've been. However, Al Ewing (and to a lesser extent Dan Slott) seeded a bunch of interesting stuff in, and building up to the event. I'll list some here.

1. The Masked Raider. Who is under the eternity mask? This guys powers seem pretty interesting. He also has a cool look and legacy. I hope this will be followed up soon.

2. The Three X's. Blue Marvel, Jimmy Woo and Night Thrasher working together to covertly figure out cases behind the scenes. This definitely needs to be followed up and worked into the status quo.

3. Abigail Brand. So I guess she quit SWORD/Alpha Flight or whatever it's called now, to form another covert group with Manifold and some others. Where is this going?

4. Nick Fury. What's going on in the Moon? Is Uatu officially back? Does that mean the original Nick Fury is also back in action?

Any thoughts on these developements and plotlines? Where do you see them going? Or will they just be ignored like so many dangling plots in Marvel books?
    Re: Abigail Brand at the end of Empyre -

I got STRONG Authority vibes from that scene. The bit at the end of the Stormwatch/Aliens crossover, when Jackson King and Christine Trelane are mourning the loss of both friends and the entire Stormwatch program, when a portal opens up, and a sassy-pants diva (In this case, Jenny Sparks) confidently declares that she saw this horror coming, and that she and her new team are gonna handle things now...

I would be down for a Marvel version of The Authority! Maybe a little less overpowered, but a squad willing to do the dirty work, even if it pisses off nations or galactic empires or other superheroes, to protect the Earth from all comers? Not as mired down in heirarchy and interpersonal drama (at first) and governmental approval and celebrity status, like the Avengers?

YUP.

That’s the thread I am most interested in, for sure...
    Last edited by zinderel; 09-11-2020 at 02:45 PM.

It's going to be an X-Book.

Nick Fury is dead! I mean, Uatu, an alien with powers next to those of Galactus and other cosmic heavy-hitters, comes back from the dead, still missing an eye. He has his killer right in front of him, says "a reckoning is coming", and we no longer view what happens. Do I have to draw a map?

I'm assuming that the Masked Raider and the Three Xs aren't going to play a role until the Enclave ends up creating Korvac

White dude Nick Fury, Blue Marvel, Jimmy Woo, and Night Thrasher join with Abigail and they all form the new "Sword" group. Throw in T'Challa or Tony and i would love to read this.

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    Al Ewing has been on X-Men zoom meetings the last few months.
    Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.
    Co-Host of the Attilan Rising Podcast Follow @SpiderWomnDaily on Twitter, and check out To Know Her Is To Fear Here: The Spider-Woman Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    And Abigail has a new X-Logo on her outfit.

It's an X-Book.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Nick Fury is dead! I mean, Uatu, an alien with powers next to those of Galactus and other cosmic heavy-hitters, comes back from the dead, still missing an eye. He has his killer right in front of him, says "a reckoning is coming", and we no longer view what happens. Do I have to draw a map?
    The solicit for the next issue of FF mentions a major status quo change (Ben adopting the kids) and someone being resurrected (Uatu). Since both actually happened in Fallout, I would expect the Nick Fury situation to be immediately followed up on.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    The solicit for the next issue of FF mentions a major status quo change (Ben adopting the kids) and someone being resurrected (Uatu). Since both actually happened in Fallout, I would expect the Nick Fury situation to be immediately followed up on.
    Where did that happen? In Original Sin the event. Would that be an Avengers or an FF event? I’m not sure which. This has all been an Original Sin tie-in of a dangling plot-line. I had never been sure why Uatu let himself be killed by Nick Fury. It didn’t make any sense. Now, it seems it was all a ruse till Uatu was forced to come out of hiding.

Original Sin was a linewide event. It involved Avengers, FF, Spider-Man (remember, Silk debuted in that event), the X-Men, and the Guardians of the Galaxy.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Beetle View Post
    I'm assuming that the Masked Raider and the Three Xs aren't going to play a role until the Enclave ends up creating Korvac
    I wonder if whatever is done in Iron Man ties into this. Ewing seemed to somewhat set up Canwell's run in Empyre with Tony's dialogue, so maybe it's connected.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seren View Post
    And Abigail has a new X-Logo on her outfit.

It's an X-Book.
    Also
    EhuH3Y0XgAA9gpz.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Issue after next actually. Next one is about "remember when Iceman was guest F4 member?". But this means nothing - the issue before Empyre, mentioned in solicit "Also this issue: Meet a never-before-seen Elder of the Universe! Who are they, and how will they change the FF’s life... forever?" but nothing related to Profiteer happened in this issue.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

Anyone have a scan of the Abigail Brand scene? Diamond being Diamond, my store never got that issue.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    I like how you think, but it's not happening. Uatu isn't a killer. If his wife, Ulana, didn't avenge him, and his friends, Blue Marvel and Reed Richards, didn't avenge him, then Uatu will probably tell them all to kick rocks. He'll then request a change of post from the Watcher Council and leave for another star system, where he'll raise his child as a single dad. The End.

Cosmic Curmudgeon JudicatorPrime's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    White dude Nick Fury, Blue Marvel, Jimmy Woo, and Night Thrasher join with Abigail and they all form the new "Sword" group. Throw in T'Challa or Tony and i would love to read this.
    It's not a terrible idea, but I don't see Blue Marvel working with Nick Fury on account of Nick killing his friend Uatu. Nick was also part of the SHIELD leadership that helped administer the government's Blue Marvel protocols back in the 1960s. Adam has a tough enough time forgiving Anti-Man for the role that he played in the death of his wife. I don't think he'd have enough forgiveness in the well for Fury, too.

But Nick Fury would be the perfect replacement for Adam on the Three X Factor team, or whatever it's called. Especially now that he's seen reality through the Watcher's eyes.

And yes, I full agree that the original Nick Fury needs to take his rightful place in the comic universe. I don't care which version they use in MCU, but for the comics, bring back the original.