Page 14 of 61 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    I have more.
    A. He's the original in a sea of imitators, the alien trying to blend in, the reporter keeping a lid on his own biggest story, the chillest alpha dog on the team, and the guy who'll always do the right thing no matter how it makes him look.
    Again you need an entire paragraph to just say what he is and i still don't get it. I get the frustration he is supposed to be the original. Clinging to that to sell him doesn't help. That train ran to its destination .Phantom was the first too. So was tarzan. So was zorro.so was john carter and doc savage.So was dr. Occult. Others have taken over what superman does and many a times do better job at it.if we are complaining about that captain marvel fans should be complaining superman stole his gig and replaced him.

All i want is general structure of the questions. You can do whatever. The answers should be short as possibly can. The suits and even the directors won't have time for paragraphs. It isn't strawman. If i can't sell superman to myself. I can't hope to sell it to corporate or creative professionals. That's generally the gist of the exercise. Sell me superman.

this thread is art
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    this thread is art
    Sorry, for the inconveniences. It was not intended.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-14-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Snoop Dogg View Post
    this thread is art
    You’d think people would learn to just stop replying when he goes off on diatribes about how Superman should just be turned into whatever anime/manga he’s consuming but no, they always gotta argue with him.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Again you need an entire paragraph to just say what he is
    I didn't need a paragraph, I wasn't trying to keep it to one sentence. I did that earlier.

and i still don't get it. I get the frustration he is supposed to be the original. Clinging to that to sell him doesn't help. That train ran to its destination .Phantom was the first too. So was tarzan. So was zorro.so was john carter and doc savage.So was dr. Occult. Others have taken over what superman does and many a times do better job at it.if we are complaining about that captain marvel fans should be complaining superman stole his gig and replaced him.
    Except where all those guys are missing, Superman is still here. Is he the most popular hero? No. But the dude's still getting acclaimed stories like Smashes the Klan. He's still getting animated movies. He's still getting tv shows. The only thing he's missing is videogames and a decent movie.

You keep making all these claims and arguments about how much of an unrelatable and boring white knight he is, and yet where's your proof? That he's not as popular as Batman? Or Goku or other anime characters? That his live action movies have sucked due to bad luck? That a couple videogames have made him the villain? Hell the only real argument is that last one, and even that feels feeble.

You keep on going on and on about the modern particular iteration of the character that you hate, but you offer no constructive criticism, no way to make it better. Just annoying tear downs and crap about how much things suck. Seriously, take a page from any age of Superman and do something positive instead of just hating, please.

All i want is general structure of the questions. You can do whatever. The answers should be short as possibly can. The suits and even the directors won't have time for paragraphs. It isn't strawman. If i can't sell superman to myself. I can't hope to sell it to corporate or creative professionals. That's generally the gist of the exercise.
    Q. Describe Superman in one sentence.
    A. The blue collar reporter from another world who fights crime and corruption with a smile and sense of adventure as opposed to that other broody guy.
    Q. What's so great about his costume?
    A. You mean other than the bright colors that pop and the cool cape and general sense of fun?
    Q. What's great about the character?
    A. Basically "Hulk smash!" but with a lot cooler and laid-back working man attitude.
    Q. What's the character about?
    A. Seriously? I don't even need a freaking sentence for this one, just three words. Truth and justice.

Sell me superman.
    Hell no. If you haven't got it now, you probably never will.

I'm done. If you want to debate Superman some more, count me out until you stop deconstructing and start trying to reconstruct a little. Frankly it's not fun, and I come to Superman for the fun and excitement. That's all Superman needs to sell anyone, fun adventures and exciting action.

Sayonara.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    You’d think people would learn to just stop replying when he goes off on diatribes about how Superman should just be turned into whatever anime/manga he’s consuming but no, they always gotta argue with him.
    I'm personally getting sick of the half pages of pictures and videos. Scrolling through them to get to a point is annoying.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I'm personally getting sick of the half pages of pictures and videos. Scrolling through them to get to a point is annoying.
    I have removed all the pics. I am sorry for the inconvenience. My bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Yeah! My apologies for the inconveniences. My bad. But, i had no intention of turning people off Nor was this one of those diatribes.I made a remark regarding superman not needing an explanation when he becomes as handsome as a particular character .
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-14-2020 at 09:12 AM.

The way Bendis revealed his identity was what made me jump off. I'm excited to see who they put on the book next.
    Last edited by Odd Rödney; 02-18-2021 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Blue text became too cumbersome.
    "Kids don't care **** about superhero comic books. And if they do, they probably start with manga, with One Punch-Man or My Hero Academia. " -ImOctavius.

It's funny. While I'm typically not a fan of secret identities, I was never really on board with Superman outing himself. To me, erasing that line between Kal-El and Clark Kent always felt like another "It's something new but that doesn't mean it's good" kind of thing. Like Ric Grayson (though not nearly as disastrous) or the current Krakoa era of the X-Men.

It's not as big a deal breaker for me as a lot of Bendis' other changes. But if I had to choose, I'd always pick the secret ID for Superman. Maybe he can finally out himself to his colleagues. But the whole world? Nah.

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    It's funny. While I'm typically not a fan of secret identities, I was never really on board with Superman outing himself. To me, erasing that line between Kal-El and Clark Kent always felt like another "It's something new but that doesn't mean it's good" kind of thing. Like Ric Grayson (though not nearly as disastrous) or the current Krakoa era of the X-Men.

It's not as big a deal breaker for me as a lot of Bendis' other changes. But if I had to choose, I'd always pick the secret ID for Superman. Maybe he can finally out himself to his colleagues. But the whole world? Nah.
    Well, put, friend. The move never clicked for me either as something Superman would do. The situation reminds of the legendary grasp of his character stuntman Kane Hodder had. Hodder was the most prolific person to play Jason Voorhees. There are stories of Hodder on set during the different films literally saying to scriptwriters or directors "no, my character, wouldn't do that."
    Last edited by Celgress; 09-14-2020 at 01:10 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

When all is said and done he just did it because he's not a fan of the secret ID concept. And its fine to generally dislike it. And it was something that ended up becoming overused in the old days and just done because it was the normal template. But with Superman it is of utmost importance to the lore. He failed to reconcile that with his dislike of the general concept. That's why the reasonings for doing it were so shallow, like equating the idea to Twitter trolls and burner accounts.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    When all is said and done he just did it because he's not a fan of the secret ID concept. And its fine to generally dislike it. And it was something that ended up becoming overused in the old days and just done because it was the normal template. But with Superman it is of utmost importance to the lore. He failed to reconcile that with his dislike of the general concept. That's why the reasonings for doing it were so shallow, like equating the idea to Twitter trolls and burner accounts.
    I think Bendis does it because it takes a lot of effort to write comics where the hero has to contend with a secret identity. In short, it is easier for lazy writers to ditch it. However, a secret identity is a vital component of superhero comics. These are characters who should have a life outside being a hero. Comics are a soap opera and ditching a secret identity eliminates a bulk of that drama. Marvel used to have plenty, but now everyone is a hero 24/7.

Clark being a reporter and having a day job helps keep him grounded. Keeps him humble and in touch with his humility. As fun as it would be to be Superman 24/7, it would become heavy after awhile. Bendis having Superman out himself was a intriguing concept, but he hasn't really done much with it. Have we really seen the true ramifications of such an action? No. Now we face another contrived means to get that particular Pandora's Box closed.

If anything, he should have revealed it to his co-workers at The Planet. Perry White should be brought in on it long ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its probably going to get retconned.

I'm just worried of who are we getting next

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    Its probably going to get retconned.

I'm just worried of who are we getting next
    All bets are pointing towards Waid. I don't see him going back to DC for anything BUT Superman. The only question is this: which one does he get? One or both books?

I'd prefer he just have one. With the one likely being Superman.

Have both the main series and Action ever been handled by just one writer, before Bendis?