Page 18 of 61 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    Glad Bendis is being taken off. If Waid comes on, then it will still stink and I won't buy it. I would like to see Dan Jurgens pick back up the book and continue where he left off before everything was destroyed.
    Jurgens has had his shot. Twice. I love what he did as a kid because his is the Superman I grew up with. His Action was also great for nostalgia reasons. I just don't think he has anything more to say with the franchise. It's time for someone who hasn't had a turn.

I’m sad to see Bendis leave and hope he stays on Legion a while longer. I doubt I’d ever have touched a Superman book if he hadn’t been writing it. I usually drop books when he leaves so I don’t know if I’ll stay with the books.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Mark Russell have said more than once that the characters he most want to write is Superman, and DC should let him have a go at the character, maybe give Superman to Waid and Action to Russell, and start what will be known as the Marks Era.

While I'm not sure about Russell's capacity on creating action, he is definitely one of the best when it comes to characterization and pushing the envelope, and the most important thing, he is one of the few writers that actually answers Superman when asked what character they want.
    I'd totally be into Mark Russell taking over the book. That's a fantastic choice.

BANNED

Ok, while we are still talking about which writer you wanted to write after Bendis, I will throw a bone here and say Tom King. Tom King writes a good Superman's story in Superman: Up in the Sky. Not to mention, he also had a very distinct voice and from what I read in Superman: Up in the Sky, the Omega Men, and Hal Jordan's Darkseid War Tie In, he can write the modern version of Silver Age stories without the cringe of that era. So, I believe Tom King is also a good candidate for Superman writer alongside with Mark Russell and Mark Waid.

Edit: I forgot, he also wrote a very good short Superman's story in AC 1000.

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post
    Ok, while we are still talking about which writer you wanted to write after Bendis, I will throw a bone here and say Tom King. Tom King writes a good Superman's story in Superman: Up in the Sky. Not to mention, he also had a very distinct voice and from what I read in Superman: Up in the Sky, the Omega Men, and Hal Jordan's Darkseid War Tie In, he can write the modern version of Silver Age stories without the cringe of that era. So, I believe Tom King is also a good candidate for Superman writer alongside with Mark Russell and Mark Waid.

Between his Batman run and HiC (both stories that I thought he'd do well in, only to be met with soul crushing disappointment) I'm kinda wary of Tom King being on any high profile books right now. Let him have his non-canon Bat/Cat book for a bit, so he's got time to get his **** together XD

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post
    Between his Batman run and HiC (both stories that I thought he'd do well in, only to be met with soul crushing disappointment) I'm kinda wary of Tom King being on any high profile books right now. Let him have his non-canon Bat/Cat book for a bit, so he's got time to get his **** together XD
    Yeah, I don't think King is in a rush to be on a main book again.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laufeyson View Post

He writes a good mythic savior like morrison did.What king writes most probably would be enjoyed by most. Up in the sky was better than all star in someways for me. He humanises the savior in a way that's practically more appealing. Especially, the part where superman leaves everything behind to get back a random girl and actually talk to her(something my adopted aunt did) . These guys make superman sweat and i love everybit of it. (Note that humanising doesn't mean non-alienness. Aliens can be humanised) . But, i don't know if he has any more stories with that concept. It's hard to write superman. Morrison himself changed it up quite a bit in new52 and went with a different interpretation. I hope we can get some great scifi stuff.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-16-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I was also talking about his Superman Earth One trilogy, which also fell flat for me.

It's a shame because JMS is clearly a talented creator who loves Superman, but his view of the character just didn't work for me at all.

His autobiography "Becoming Superman" is fantastic though. Dear Lord, that guy has had an insane life.
    Oh man, I completely forgot that Superman: Earth One was even a thing that he did. So I guess it tells how much I "enjoyed" it.

Tom King said that while he's good at uplifting short stories, his runs always turn out sad, so I don't think I want him to write a full run.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    Oh man, I completely forgot that Superman: Earth One was even a thing that he did. So I guess it tells how much I "enjoyed" it.
    I don't blame you, Superman: Earth One is a huge improvement over his Superman's run.

Bendis & JMS are probably my two favorite writers. I haven’t been a huge Superman reader but I snatched up the Earth One books & loved them. JMS is the one writer I’d continue buying Superman for.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Tom King said that while he's good at uplifting short stories, his runs always turn out sad, so I don't think I want him to write a full run.
    I don't know if it's just me, but Superman's sad story usually one of the best stories there. It usually hit guts and really close to your heart, so I will be even onboard if he write a sad turn in his story. Unless, it's like Dick Grayson's headshot which is a big no. But even then that's not sad, just shock moment. What I really expect from him is kind like the death of Bruce Wayne that he did little and little in his Batman's short stories.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stick Figure View Post
    Bendis & JMS are probably my two favorite writers. I haven’t been a huge Superman reader but I snatched up the Earth One books & loved them. JMS is the one writer I’d continue buying Superman for.
    It's no surprise you like them. Earth one is one of the inspiration for snyder movies.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    It's no surprise you like them. Earth one is one of the inspiration for snyder movies.
    I believe it's also a very friendly new reader Superman story.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I’d be ok with it if he got one of the books, but I’d rather get a 12 issue maxiseries with Superman in it from him. Wanting to write 100 issues of Batman despite not really having that much story hurt him in the long run I think.