Page 22 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I've seen people complain that Superman is portrayed too much as a boring goodie two-shoes. I've also heard people say that Priest wouldn't be a good fit for Superman. But I guarantee that his run would be the opposite of that. Could bring some fresh stuff to the character.

Eh. I'm not sure if I want that. As Bendis has already shown (in this run and a lot of his other books) just because something's different, or "fresh", doesn't automatically mean it's a good idea.

For as much as I used to think it made him a boring character, I've actually come to appreciate the straight laced, goodie-two shoes Clark in recent years. I actually think it's kinda interesting how unwavering he is in his morals and how it takes a lot to kill his kind and cheerful disposition.

Does that mean I think there should never be anything new going on in his life or any big changes for his character? Of course not. Hell, making him a family man was a big change and y'all should already know how I feel about that by now lol.

But bringing in Priest for the express purpose of making Clark edgier isn't something I'd be interested in seeing. I didn't like when Glass did it to the Teen Titans. I didn't like it when Netherrealm Studios did it to half the heroes in Injustice. I hated when Snyder did it in his DC movies. It's just...not something that would get me reading Superman again.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Blue22 View Post

For as much as I used to think it made him a boring character, I've actually come to appreciate the straight laced, goodie-two shoes Clark in recent years. I actually think it's kinda interesting how unwavering he is in his morals and how it takes a lot to kill his kind and cheerful disposition.
    I don't have a problem with superman being goody twoshoes when his goodness has essense and he does what is right.My problem is clark's need to appear good and not really be good.Superman should be an idealist doing the right thing with ideals forged through his experiences,Not programmed by his parents.something like american alien where the his parents are barely a factor.he literally takes inspiration by slamming batman on a wall and taking his cape(who attacked him).he takes the cape and he builds superman from ground up. Taking inspiration is one thing, being a mere avatar is another.Moreover, superman was never that good towards jackasses in the first place.So more birthright for me and less of secret origins.Finally, what clark says matters. Don't shove nonsensical speeches with "hope harder" that has no essence.

Something like, "freedom is worth fighting for. I am willing to sacrifice. If i am alone, so be it". This has essence. Especially, when you see the speech being laid out in action. While clark talking down to bruce in a condescending tone to "hope harder and shine brighter" has no meaning. It stinks of a guy who is out of touch.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-22-2020 at 10:23 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Honestly, I don't care about Bendis. Just please tell me Romita Jr. is leaving and going somewhere far, FAR away. He is a HORRIBLE artist.
    But, but, Romita Jr is awesome in DK Returns of the Last Crusade and in John's Last Superman. I think the problem with Romita Jr is the inker or the coloring where usually Klaus Johnson ink his art a bit bolder, now it's soft we still see a bit unfinished product. But, then again I am not an artist so I can't say much, but I still believe that Romita Jr can still give us a drawing like in his Amazing and the others.

Incredible Member magha_regulus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    Honestly, I don't care about Bendis. Just please tell me Romita Jr. is leaving and going somewhere far, FAR away. He is a HORRIBLE artist.
    Oh good god yes! Romita Jr. has become so terrible. Getting through action comics has become such a chore!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    I've seen people complain that Superman is portrayed too much as a boring goodie two-shoes. I've also heard people say that Priest wouldn't be a good fit for Superman. But I guarantee that his run would be the opposite of that. Could bring some fresh stuff to the character.
    I don’t see him changing Superman himself, but he would definitely bring a critical eye to the world around Supes. He wrote a perfectly fine “regular” Byrne Superman in his one off Elseworld Annual about a world where Krypton did evacuate to Earth.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    I don't have a problem with superman being goody twoshoes when his goodness has essense and he does what is right.My problem is clark's need to appear good and not really be good.Superman should be an idealist doing the right thing with ideals forged through his experiences,Not programmed by his parents.something like american alien where the his parents are barely a factor.he literally takes inspiration by slamming batman on a wall and taking his cape(who attacked him).he takes the cape and he builds superman from ground up. Taking inspiration is one thing, being a mere avatar is another.Moreover, superman was never that good towards jackasses in the first place.So more birthright for me and less of secret origins.Finally, what clark says matters. Don't shove nonsensical speeches with "hope harder" that has no essence.

Something like, "freedom is worth fighting for. I am willing to sacrifice. If i am alone, so be it". This has essence. Especially, when you see the speech being laid out in action. While clark talking down to bruce in a condescending tone to "hope harder and shine brighter" has no meaning. It stinks of a guy who is out of touch.
    You know, I don't think that phrase will sound so good (or have a similar effect) from Superman. I think this is where the issue of "overpower" character could affect.

I mean, saying that you alone would fight for freedom doesn't have the same effect if you alone have more power than an entire army.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    You know, I don't think that phrase will sound so good (or have a similar effect) from Superman. I think this is where the issue of "overpower" character could affect.

I mean, saying that you alone would fight for freedom doesn't have the same effect if you alone have more power than an entire army.
    That's cool. That would be true. Sure, but then the guy used to jump into the fray with skin only tough enough to handle bursting shell at best. He got stronger by pushing his limits, not by sitting around.He is as powerful as what the authors want him to be now maybe.But, It was never as if superman wouldn't do the samething without the power back in thef day. He always faced death and adversity far worse than him. I would like to think that part of him stuck.He died fighting a giant monster. Didn't he?
    Moreover, Clark's does this rhetoric without that. It makes him out of touch.I would agree.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 09-23-2020 at 09:06 PM.

Censorship Sucks

I have noticed that when new issues of action comics or superman drops, people don't even really post and discuss them at all lately. Is interest in the Bendis books really that bad? I have dropped them since the reboot...but I did not realize that many people had.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    I have noticed that when new issues of action comics or superman drops, people don't even really post and discuss them at all lately. Is interest in the Bendis books really that bad? I have dropped them since the reboot...but I did not realize that many people had.
    Superman is good right now, but Action Comics have lost a lot of my interest and Romita's art just don't go well with Superman.

BANNED

Not really, but the problem the books itself don't have anything worthy to talk. The current Action arc is a bit boring and Superman is just starting arc so we don't know what we have to talk about it. Not to mention it's fun to talk about who will replace Bendis, trunks, and many other stuffs that is really just chores.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Caldwell View Post
    Fans tend to talk more about what they don't like than what they're enjoying. It's just human nature. We focus on the negative.

I'd be happy with Venditti, Taylor, Loveness or Yang taking over the Superman titles after Bendis so long as they fix the major changes and issues with Bendis' run. My dream writers to take over the Superman titles would be Al Ewing on Superman and Sholly Fisch on Action Comics. Ewing can focus on bold, high concept larger than life adventures whereas Fisch was perfect at smaller scale character dynamics in his backups on Morrison's run. If Fisch had taken over Action Comics from Morrison like he should have done, I might have enjoyed the New 52 Superman comics outside of Morrison and Johns' runs. If Jon is aged back down, Tomasi should just get Super Sons back once he's done fixing Damian's screwed over character from Teen Titans.

Taylor may be getting one of the books: https://twitter.com/tomtaylormade/st...441451011?s=21

He already said he’ll be getting more than one DC series once SS wraps.

Yes please! YES PLEASE!

Astonishing Member

Maybe he will get one book and Venditti the other, he also said, that he's getting something soon.
    I still doubt there will be Waid, to be honest.