Page 57 of 61 FirstFirst ... 747535455565758596061 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    He confirmed Checkmate was going forward as well with Maleev working on it now. So we should see some continuation of the Leviathan storyline. That may factor into Justice League as well given Green Arrow, Steve Trevor & Lois' involvement.
    I wonder if that's part of mollifying those upset with Lois' seeming lack of role in what's going on with the Super-Books since she'll be in Checkmate.

(Not that I care for Lois in Checkmate, but it's at least something).

So are we back to Checkmate as the “SHIELD” of the DCU? Least Bendis will use them given his love of SHIELD over at Marvel. I never felt like I knew what ARGUS’ deal was or what separated them from SHADE/DEO/etc. Someone needs to break out some Hickman tier charts and explain the organizational structure of whatever comes next. What’s their mission statement, rules of engagement, resources, who do they answer to, etc?

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I wonder if that's part of mollifying those upset with Lois' seeming lack of role in what's going on with the Super-Books since she'll be in Checkmate.

(Not that I care for Lois in Checkmate, but it's at least something).
    I was a fan of how Bendis wrote Lois particularly through the Leviathan arcs. I thought he did a pretty good job incorporating her into Checkmate and the threads with her father were basically completely unresolved because that book got pushed. So her having some role in a book where someone will actually use her is a bonus to me. Especially considering PKJ seems to have no interest in using her. It makes sense that Bendis should be able to and it might be a bridge her involvement into the UP hinted at in Future State.

I just feel that Bendis will likely try to explore plot threads he set up, like Rogol Zarr destroying Krypton, in Justice League.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    So are we back to Checkmate as the “SHIELD” of the DCU? Least Bendis will use them given his love of SHIELD over at Marvel. I never felt like I knew what ARGUS’ deal was or what separated them from SHADE/DEO/etc. Someone needs to break out some Hickman tier charts and explain the organizational structure of whatever comes next. What’s their mission statement, rules of engagement, resources, who do they answer to, etc?
    I feel like that would've been a better idea than just blowing them all up.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    I just feel that Bendis will likely try to explore plot threads he set up, like Rogol Zarr destroying Krypton, in Justice League.
    I thought Legion was handling the Rogal plot? I expect his JL will focus more on his Naomi stuff, and also be focused on Earth-based politics a lot more.
    I feel like that would've been a better idea than just blowing them all up.
    I actually disagree. Blowing them all up is extreme but it does simplify things and let’s you rebuild from ground zero. Just not sure Bendis is the best fit for that. Hickman took a scorched earth approach as well to his X-Men relaunch.

I thought Legion was handling the Rogal plot? I expect his JL will focus more on his Naomi stuff, and also be focused on Earth-based politics a lot more.
    Legion has a future version of Rogal, but it's not covering the actual conspiracy behind him that led to Krypton being destroyed.

I actually disagree. Blowing them all up is extreme but it does simplify things and let’s you rebuild from ground zero. Just not sure Bendis is the best fit for that. Hickman took a scorched earth approach as well to his X-Men relaunch.
    I'm just worried that what ends up being rebuilt is more generic and less variety.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Legion has a future version of Rogal, but it's not covering the actual conspiracy behind him that led to Krypton being destroyed.
    Oh that. That’s going to be a dropped plotline.

I'm just worried that what ends up being rebuilt is more generic and less variety.
    When did any of the variety of organizations get any real play though? ARGUS never got any serious fleshing out, nor did SHADE, DEO, or any of the organizations. They were just “there”. If Checkmate or whatever comes out of this is actually going to be used then that will allow them to potentially shape it into anything they want.
    Last edited by Vordan; 12-31-2020 at 04:31 PM.

When did any of the variety of organizations get any real play though? ARGUS never got any serious fleshing out, nor did SHADE, DEO, or any of the organizations. They were just “there”. If Checkmate or whatever comes out of this is actually going to be used then that will allow them to potentially shape it into anything they want.
    Argus appeared pretty frequently starting from the New 52. SHADE was Frankenstein's whole thing, and the DEO was getting some play with Supergirl.

Argus appeared pretty frequently starting from the New 52. SHADE was Frankenstein's whole thing, and the DEO was getting some play with Supergirl.
    ARGUS showed up but did they ever bother to flesh out the structure, mission statement, goals?

Forgot about the Lemire Frankenstein series, that was good, point to you.

DEO had the same problems as ARGUS

ARGUS showed up but did they ever bother to flesh out the structure, mission statement, goals?

Forgot about the Lemire Frankenstein series, that was good, point to you.

DEO had the same problems as ARGUS
    I think there was Steve Trevor as a field officer and Amanda Waller was the black ops head. The mission statement/goals was basically regulating and handling Metahumans.

The DEO was kind of the like the cosmic/space FBI and you had Mr. Bones and Cameron Chase.

I just think Checkmate was the most well defined one.

I do think HIVE would have been better than Leviathan, though.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Know I'm bumping an old thread, but does anyone know if Bendis has done any interviews at all for Justice League yet? Seems so weird a lot of DC writers have been hyping up their Infinite Frontier books, but he's been so quiet.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Know I'm bumping an old thread, but does anyone know if Bendis has done any interviews at all for Justice League yet? Seems so weird a lot of DC writers have been hyping up their Infinite Frontier books, but he's been so quiet.
    Considering it seems like he's not leaving the Superman books by choice, it wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't have a plan for Justice League yet and is still working on storylines after the intro arc.