Page 28 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1824252627282930313238 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Can anyone who listens to it share with some of us what he says specifically, thanks.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Totally expect it to be Justice League. I mean who else would take the book? Williamson is already doing Death Metal tie-ins for JL and he’s got Batman/Superman to scratch his team up itch. Tynion pretty much co-wrote JL with Snyder and seems to only be doing Batman along with his creator owned stuff. Taylor would be an obvious choice (putting aside how dreadful I think he is) but I can’t see DC giving JL to anyone not working exclusively for them, and Taylor is doing an Elseworld for Marvel.

There’s really no one else “big” enough for the book. At least with Marquez you know it will be gorgeous, and everyone has hated every JL run since, damn, I want to say Robinson’s pre-FP run? I can’t even remember the last time JL was getting universal acclaim lmao, so Bendis will be in fine company.
    Oh, I hadn't thought of that - but I hope so. I've really enjoyed Bendis' run on the Superman books, but it's fair to say it's been divisive without raising sales enough to get away with that. A Bendis Justice League - keeping his "big" style of stories, as Invisible Mafia and Synmar type plots would still fit, and his take on Superman himself, but "resetting" a little could really be the best of both worlds.

He's got one of the best Batman/Bruce and Clark relationship takes I've read in a long while too - so that would bode well.

I've been out of the loop for a little while - with Bendis coming off "Superman" and "Action Comics" and "Young Justice" ending, so we know if he's staying on "Legion"? Or if "Checkmate" is still happening?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    Can anyone who listens to it share with some of us what he says specifically, thanks.
    I didn't listen to it either, but saw a post on reddit a few days ago that summarized the podcast. I believe King said he has no plans in the future to do another ongoing title and he only has maxi sreies in the works at DC and that his next trilogy of maxi stories are more optimistic in tone.

With how good strange adventures is, I'm glad he's doing more maxi series.

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Oh, I hadn't thought of that - but I hope so. I've really enjoyed Bendis' run on the Superman books, but it's fair to say it's been divisive without raising sales enough to get away with that. A Bendis Justice League - keeping his "big" style of stories, as Invisible Mafia and Synmar type plots would still fit, and his take on Superman himself, but "resetting" a little could really be the best of both worlds.

He's got one of the best Batman/Bruce and Clark relationship takes I've read in a long while too - so that would bode well.

I've been out of the loop for a little while - with Bendis coming off "Superman" and "Action Comics" and "Young Justice" ending, so we know if he's staying on "Legion"? Or if "Checkmate" is still happening?
    Legion hasn’t gotten a “final issue” solicit so it seems to be continuing. Bendis has said Checkmate will still happen but I dunno if it actually will. That was a Didio initiative, he wanted Bendis to trim down the spy organizations, with him gone plans probably changed.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    I didn't listen to it either, but saw a post on reddit a few days ago that summarized the podcast. I believe King said he has no plans in the future to do another ongoing title and he only has maxi sreies in the works at DC and that his next trilogy of maxi stories are more optimistic in tone.

With how good strange adventures is, I'm glad he's doing more maxi series.
    Here’s the link to the post: https://amp.reddit.com/r/DCcomics/co...m_king_batman/
    A Superfamily project from King sounds interesting. Would it just be Clark/Lois/Jon or would King want to include the entire Superfamily (Kon, Kara, Steel, etc).
    Last edited by Vordan; 10-27-2020 at 01:40 AM.

Astonishing Member

I'm hoping Checkmate survives. A couple of weeks back, he reteeeted a tweet asking if Lois was now running Checkmate (so I'm kind of crossing fingers for more Lois), it's not as though it was going to be an ongoing. Maybe he's retooling to match whatever DC's decided upon post DiDio.

Quote Originally Posted by rpmaluki View Post
    I'm hoping Checkmate survives. A couple of weeks back, he reteeeted a tweet asking if Lois was now running Checkmate (so I'm kind of crossing fingers for more Lois), it's not as though it was going to be an ongoing. Maybe he's retooling to match whatever DC's decided upon post DiDio.
    If he’s doing Checkmate and Lois is involved, that could be the DC book with Marquez since Supes would obviously be involved with that as well. So maybe I was wrong about him taking JL. Hopefully we’ll know by March

It would launch in March, so we'll know by Christmas.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Spectacular Member

Why with the leave. Am I late? yes, I am. What happened and why?

Quote Originally Posted by scilover View Post
    Why with the leave. Am I late? yes, I am. What happened and why?
    Depends on who you believe lol. Bendis said way back on that Off Topic podcast interview where the news first leaked that he had been on the Superman books longer than he originally planned, and later he said that he was leaving because DC had offered him and Marquez something that required their attention. He’s doing something after Future State that will still involve Superman, so he’s not entirely leaving the character. That book is probably Justice League but it may be Checkmate also.

Or it may be because DC cancelled 5G and replaced it with Future State so Bendis decided to leave the book. Or sales weren’t where DC is expected so they moved him off. If you don’t believe Bendis there’s dozens of reasons why but I choose to believe him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Damned shame.

Bendis was never the guy I would've pegged for Superman. Not even a fan of Bendis' work, outside of a few big exceptions like Daredevil and Ultimate Spidey. And this run definitely had its stumbles and its missed opportunities and its rushed plots. But this was a better run than we usually get, and Bendis understood this character and his world more than most writers this side of Morrison.

We'll see who the new creators are and whether they build on the new status quo or revert to the tired and boring same-old-same-old. Maybe all the shakeups at DC and AT&T will result in Clark getting better treatment. That'd be a nice change of pace after the last thirty years of Lobdells and Berganzas.

Yang could be fantastic, if DC leaves him the hell alone and lets him write instead of forcing him into idiot crossovers. Smashes the Klan is the best Superman material we've had since All-Star. Waid *might* be good, but a writer who was at his high point twenty years ago isn't the writer I want for Superman right now. Last thing we need is another Jurgens, who's best days are seemingly well behind him (and I him in the 90's, it hurts to say this, but none of Jurgens' modern work does it for me). Taylor could be good, I guess, though I haven't seen him write Clark enough to really know. Williamson....from what I've seen he doesn't get the nuance or duality of the character (or maybe that's just him being forced to write the Bat-Super dynamic) and I'd rather have him on Nightwing or Titans anyway. But I wouldn't be upset if any of these guys got the gig, none of them are bad at their jobs by any stretch.

Was hoping Bendis would stick around until the end of the first quarter of '21, but alas. I suppose I'm glad for all the fans who didn't like Bendis; y'all are getting what you wanted. But as they say, be careful what you wish for; DC has a habit of going from bad to worse with Superman.
    So you are overall happy with the Secret ID reveal, giving the rapidly aged Jon Supes' Legion legacy, and the bizarre Kryptonian stuff? I am just getting started on this run and the Kryptonian stuff and the weirdness on the marriage are all headscratchers for me.

Ascended and I are usually like peas and carrots, but on this one we differ. If this were wrestling this would be where the tag team broke up with the ubiquitous chair shot in the back. But I get where he's coming from. There is merit to pointing out the objective fact that DC hasn't done **** with the dual identity in ages. Its a crying damn shame but its also the outright truth. So I can at least understand a mindset of "if they don't get it, lets see what happens here with something else". Me personally, I just can't go there as I just hold the secret ID in too high an esteem. I guess I'd rather it stay and be ill-utilized than have it go away because writers don't get it these days. But again I can appreciate where that other side of the coin is born. I'd even go as far as to say that it might be a more pragmatic mindset. I just can't get there.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    I don't know, a lot of the young guys don't appear to be much interest on Superman, we heard guys like Donny Cates talking about his 5 years plans to Batman or his notebook full of Green Lantern ideas and all he says about Superman is tha he may have a take on the character; or Brian Edward Hill who says he likes to write characters reacting to Superman.

Mark Waid wants to write Superman since ever and aside from Elseworld stories, team books and an origin that don't counts anymore he never got the Superman run he wanted, he was actually denied it by DC management as punishment, so while he may not be young, he probably is hungrier than most.
    TPTB at DC have been quite silly. I will never understand handing creative control to Johns when masters like Waid and Busiek were there

Quote Originally Posted by Denkota View Post
    The way superman is currently written he does come off as a gay fartboy who doesn't particularly seem like a hardass but perhaps that may change with a new writer.
    This run had the Lois mini, right? I'm there, Superman and Lois are not and heavy. And in the main books he has fathered a son. How is he coming off gay?

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Bendis again says goodbye to action comics/superman but again says he will keep writing Superman in a unanounced title on his latest insta post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CG7pyYMpXd_/

I think whoever predicted him writing justice league is probably correct. That book needs a new writre and Williamson confirmed he's not writing the title anymore after the future state JL issues finish.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    Bendis again says goodbye to action comics/superman but again says he will keep writing Superman in a unanounced title on his latest insta post: https://www.instagram.com/p/CG7pyYMpXd_/

I think whoever predicted him writing justice league is probably correct. That book needs a new writre and Williamson confirmed he's not writing the title anymore after the future state JL issues finish.
    It makes sense. They need a big writer, Marquez is a big artist, and no one else seems to be available for a variety of reasons.