Page 34 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2430313233343536373844 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Honestly just a solid story with Metallo or Parasite would be more than enough for me. I thought Waid’s Lex Luthor was very good though, and his Ultraman in Brave & the Bold was good as well. I think Waid might surprise you given his fanaticism about Superman, I expect he’d put more effort into Superman’s Rogues than he has elsewhere. But even if I’m wrong, it’s not like the other hopefuls like Taylor are any better. He can only write two villain types: cartoonishly evil and “sweet cinnamon rolls who did nothing wrong UwU” aka Harley Quinn and Deadshot in SS. Venditti does alright with villains, I really liked his Zod. Yang does alright as well although he never really got to dive deep into the classic Superman Rogues.

Hm now that I think of it, who is a good villain writer at DC? Who stands out as great?
    I agree with you here. Superman villains really need to be tackle since some of them don't have any frog. We need a no Luthor, No Zod sign for a bit and develop Superman's rogues

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I mean...that was Geoff Johns' whole shtick .

I like how Joshua Williamson writes villains. I think he had a good handle on The Flash Rogues.
    Willamson is good. Johns was absolutely one of the best, him stepping back has me wonder who will eventually take up the torch of trying to make “lame” villains (and heroes) cool.

Quote Originally Posted by LordUltimus View Post
    Morrison's N52 Supes actually had zero SuperWonder, that was everything else.
    Jeez, it was a joke, I know that.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Willamson is good. Johns was absolutely one of the best, him stepping back has me wonder who will eventually take up the torch of trying to make “lame” villains (and heroes) cool.
    What's he up too now? Batman?

Quote Originally Posted by Prime View Post
    What's he up too now? Batman?
    Oh boy have you not been following all the drama going on with Johns? In short:
    1. Ray Fischer accused him of helping to foster a toxic atmosphere on JL and there’s an investigation going on into whether that’s true
    2. Three Jokers finally came out and it was bad. Not over the top awful (at least not to me), but a very banal and uncreative story that did stuff that got the fandom all riled like shipping Barbara and Jason Todd together
    3. Johns is doing his first creator owned book in ages at Image with Gary Frank, a book called “Geiger” so it seems like that Killing Zone imprint is dead (unsurprising given the state of DC)
    4. There’s rumors that all the “big” old timers will be moving out of DC, DC can’t afford to pay them big money anymore. Practically that doesn’t mean much, Morrison, Rucka, Johns, all the long time old guard had already moved on more or less, just remains to be seen if that includes people like Jurgens or Tomasi

So all Johns has coming up is a Three Jokers sequel (whatever the hell that will be), a Death Metal tie-in co-written with Scott Snyder, and Batman Earth One vol. 3 which he and Frank already finished and are just waiting for DC to send it out. It’s unknown if he’s going to be involved in the March relaunch DC has planned or if he’s got any more DC work coming. It sort of looks like he’s transitioning away from DC, although he’s still involved with some of their TV/movie stuff (for now, the results of that investigation may change that).

Fantastic Member

Oh boy have you not been following all the drama going on with Johns? In short:
    1. Ray Fischer accused him of helping to foster a toxic atmosphere on JL and there’s an investigation going on into whether that’s true
    2. Three Jokers finally came out and it was bad. Not over the top awful (at least not to me), but a very banal and uncreative story that did stuff that got the fandom all riled like shipping Barbara and Jason Todd together
    3. Johns is doing his first creator owned book in ages at Image with Gary Frank, a book called “Geiger” so it seems like that Killing Zone imprint is dead (unsurprising given the state of DC)
    4. There’s rumors that all the “big” old timers will be moving out of DC, DC can’t afford to pay them big money anymore. Practically that doesn’t mean much, Morrison, Rucka, Johns, all the long time old guard had already moved on more or less, just remains to be seen if that includes people like Jurgens or Tomasi

So all Johns has coming up is a Three Jokers sequel (whatever the hell that will be), a Death Metal tie-in co-written with Scott Snyder, and Batman Earth One vol. 3 which he and Frank already finished and are just waiting for DC to send it out. It’s unknown if he’s going to be involved in the March relaunch DC has planned or if he’s got any more DC work coming. It sort of looks like he’s transitioning away from DC, although he’s still involved with some of their TV/movie stuff (for now, the results of that investigation may change that).
    It's time for the old timers to go! They have ran out of good stories. Their to busy trying to make all the Dc heroes like Batman.
    Last edited by lotchj; 11-17-2020 at 08:16 AM.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

DC is starting to announce writers for their March lineup at a online convention. So far, all the writers announced are continuing the titles they wrote from future state. Will be interesting if that carries over into the superman line. To be honest, I would like to see new blood on the super books instead of Mark Waid, though I'm fine either way I guess.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by lotchj View Post
    It's time for the old timers to go! They have ran out of good stories. Their to busy trying to make all the Dc heroes like Batman.
    I disagree entirely. That's DC editorial. There's a difference.

And a lot of those old-timers still sell and have new, great stories to tell. Rucka's most recent Wonder Woman run was better than all the people who followed, new or old. Morrison's GL is the most interesting that book's been since Johns left, not counting Far Sector which itself is its own thing. For as middling as Three Jokers was, both it and Doomsday Clock moved more books than just about anything at DC so clearly the guy generates the revenue for DC required to keep the lower-selling books going. I actually liked his most recent take on Shazam and Doomsday Clock didn't fail for me as it did others. Jurgens has given us the most interesting Batman Beyond comic I've ever seen and he created Jon Kent, probably the biggest break-out character from Rebirth (Jessica Cruz predated it).

They don't deserve the boot just because they're long in the tooth, man.

Extraordinary Member DragonPiece's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    I disagree entirely. That's DC editorial. There's a difference.

And a lot of those old-timers still sell and have new, great stories to tell. Rucka's most recent Wonder Woman run was better than all the people who followed, new or old. Morrison's GL is the most interesting that book's been since Johns left, not counting Far Sector which itself is its own thing. For as middling as Three Jokers was, both it and Doomsday Clock moved more books than just about anything at DC so clearly the guy generates the revenue for DC required to keep the lower-selling books going. I actually liked his most recent take on Shazam and Doomsday Clock didn't fail for me as it did others. Jurgens has given us the most interesting Batman Beyond comic I've ever seen and he created Jon Kent, probably the biggest break-out character from Rebirth (Jessica Cruz predated it).

They don't deserve the boot just because they're long in the tooth, man.
    You make a lot of good points here, but this is part of what makes DC in March so exciting. This relaunch will be completely free of Didio since his last stuff he worked on was 5G.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonPiece View Post
    DC is starting to announce writers for their March lineup at a online convention. So far, all the writers announced are continuing the titles they wrote from future state. Will be interesting if that carries over into the superman line. To be honest, I would like to see new blood on the super books instead of Mark Waid, though I'm fine either way I guess.
    Yeah if that trend holds for Superman we could see PKJ and Sean Lewis taking over the Superbooks. I really hope the BC rumor that one person will get both books again is wrong, I want to see multiple new voices on Superman. If Waid isn’t on one of the main books, maybe he is doing a Black Label book since apparently that’s not being shut down given King is already working on more BL books. Hope Yang also lands somewhere, if Williamson takes over JL given he’s on it for FS, I’d like to see Yang continue Batman/Superman.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Yeah if that trend holds for Superman we could see PKJ and Sean Lewis taking over the Superbooks. I really hope the BC rumor that one person will get both books again is wrong, I want to see multiple new voices on Superman. If Waid isn’t on one of the main books, maybe he is doing a Black Label book since apparently that’s not being shut down given King is already working on more BL books. Hope Yang also lands somewhere, if Williamson takes over JL given he’s on it for FS, I’d like to see Yang continue Batman/Superman.
    Couldn't agree more. Any combo of Waid, PKJ, Lewis, Yang, etc. is fine just so long as they divide the titles among several writers. Regardless of opinions on Bendis and his run, it never really made sense to me to give him both main titles.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Sorry. Who's PKG?

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    Sorry. Who's PKG?
    Phillip Kennedy Johnson. Wrote Tales of the Dark Multiverse: Hush, and is writing Superman: Worlds of War & House of El for Future State.

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

What is the BC rumor?

Quote Originally Posted by OBrianTallent View Post
    What is the BC rumor?
    Just what I posted, that one person is getting both Superman & Action. Didn’t say who.