Page 17 of 61 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I would have thought Waid would rather do a standalone follow up to Birthright, but I don’t know what DC’s policy will be to support standalone stories going forward. Venditti is someone who feels like he could get one of the books. He’s done with Hawkman and he has said he’s got another DC project in the works. He loves Superman and wants to write him which he’s already done with Man of Tomorrow, so he could be a solid Jurgens-type of writer. He’s written solid stuff with Hal N Pals, and the 12 issues of Hawkman with Hitch I read were legit great. I like his Zod a lot too. My only mark against him is I’m hungry for someone to really wow us with their take. I don’t want an “ok” or even “solid” run, I want a great run. I can’t help but be envious of Ewing on Hulk or HiX-Men or even Tynion Batman right now. I want something amazing, and I don’t know if Venditti can deliver that. Give Yang the other book though and I’d be ok with Venditti getting one as well, since I still believe Yang has it in him to write an all-time great Superman run given how much I loved New Superman and Superman Smashes The Klan
    After his last few issues with Hawkman, I would give Venditti the keys to the JSA. Legit had a grin on my face whilst reading the latest issue.

Astonishing Member

I'm one of those in the minority who sorta enjoyed Bendis on Superman, at the very least I loved his voice for Big Blue. I admit he did have a lot more misses than he had hits but I felt when he did hit the mark, it was Bendis at his best, too bad he wasn't consistent. As to who should take over? I don't have anyone particular in mind except to repeat what others have said, give Yang a book, with minimal DC micromanaging to force the same issues that ruined his N52 stint. What I think Superman could use is (fresh) writers who actually have something to say with the character and his world, and much less someone still hoping to project his (personal) ideas on to the character that seem "alien", unravelling well established threads to reshape him into something that he isn't or worse, treading old beaten ground to death because DC is weary of actually saying something with Superman. This time is much more crucial to Superman than at any other time and getting the right person at the helm is paramount. I think with Superman's 80 year history, you can mine so much from that, use as a foundation to move the character forward, it's why I so looked forward to Superman as President of Earth but it was unfortunate it came from a writer who couldn't capitalise his best ideas with good writing overall.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Myskin View Post
    When Roberson took over, there was barely a plot. Just an extremely generic outline of the first issues (if I remember it well). Nobody will ever know for sure, but the issues which followed JMS' initial chapters were probably 90, 95% Roberson's.
    And then Roberson had to give half the credit and pay to JMS for salvaging his mediocre story into something decent. I think JMS is a helluva writer, but his DC stuff was just terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    We’re just shooting the breeze man. We probably won’t know who the next creative teams will be until Jan solicits, and even then we might get a filler team or two before the “real” successors take over. Can’t really talk or speculate about what happens next until we know who will be guiding the ship.
    True. Kenan Kong might see some use if Yang, who created him, takes over one of them. He probably won't otherwise. And I'm sure other writers have their favourites.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Mark Russell have said more than once that the characters he most want to write is Superman, and DC should let him have a go at the character, maybe give Superman to Waid and Action to Russell, and start what will be known as the Marks Era.

While I'm not sure about Russell's capacity on creating action, he is definitely one of the best when it comes to characterization and pushing the envelope, and the most important thing, he is one of the few writers that actually answers Superman when asked what character they want.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    And then Roberson had to give half the credit and pay to JMS for salvaging his mediocre story into something decent. I think JMS is a helluva writer, but his DC stuff was just terrible.
    I remember enjoying his short Brave and the bold run. And can Superman be even considered "his"? Since he did close to nothing on it and I don't understand how that situation even happened.

Obsessed & Compelled Bored at 3:00AM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I remember enjoying his short Brave and the bold run. And can Superman be even considered "his"? Since he did close to nothing on it and I don't understand how that situation even happened.
    I was also talking about his Superman Earth One trilogy, which also fell flat for me.

It's a shame because JMS is clearly a talented creator who loves Superman, but his view of the character just didn't work for me at all.

His autobiography "Becoming Superman" is fantastic though. Dear Lord, that guy has had an insane life.

Quote Originally Posted by Bored at 3:00AM View Post
    I was also talking about his Superman Earth One trilogy, which also fell flat for me.

It's a shame because JMS is clearly a talented creator who loves Superman, but his view of the character just didn't work for me at all.

His autobiography "Becoming Superman" is fantastic though. Dear Lord, that guy has had an insane life.
    I read that autobiography too. Definitely changed my perspective on some of his work.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    Mark Russell have said more than once that the characters he most want to write is Superman, and DC should let him have a go at the character, maybe give Superman to Waid and Action to Russell, and start what will be known as the Marks Era.

While I'm not sure about Russell's capacity on creating action, he is definitely one of the best when it comes to characterization and pushing the envelope, and the most important thing, he is one of the few writers that actually answers Superman when asked what character they want.
    Mark Russel writes quite good Superman's analogy in Second Coming, so if he starts writing Superman in Action, it would be like a dream come true for me. For the action scene, if his works like Wonder Twin and Batman weekly become a factor, then he is a quite good at it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post

I'm of the mind that Russell deserves a shot. He's been pretty great on everything I've read from him.

Censorship Sucks

Glad Bendis is being taken off. If Waid comes on, then it will still stink and I won't buy it. I would like to see Dan Jurgens pick back up the book and continue where he left off before everything was destroyed.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    The excuse given at the time was that JMS wanted to focus on Superman: Earth One and his personal projects. JMS was given both Superman and Wonder Woman (the former with #700 and the latter #600). He got about 4 - 5 issues into each book and decided to leave. Instead of abandoning the storylines for each, DC decided to get other writers to finish them based on JMS notes/outlines. Roberson did Superman and Phil Hester tackled Wonder Woman.

Personally, I think JMS bailed because DC had decided to move forward with The New 52. Therefore rendering anything he did as being moot. Why continue writing something if it isn't going to matter in a few months?

I honestly can't imagine a more lazy thing to do than give Superman back to Jurgens. His second run was a complete rehash of tropes he had played with almost 30 years ago. What more could he possibly do with a third turn? At least Waid has never had a proper turn at a main Superman title before.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-16-2020 at 05:40 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Yeah, all due respect to Jurgens and the rest of the triangle era Super team; they did incredible work back then and are a huge reason I'm still such a huge fan of Superman. Cannot overstate the quality of their work in the early 90's. But Jurgens coming back for a third run would immediately take the book off my pull list

Hey Sacred, I just realized; the next creative team just might get you and me back in sync when it comes to the books. It's been weird under Bendis, us having different opinions on the run!
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Yep, I hate to sound like a hater because the man had the keys during my childhood and I loved every minute of it. But man, its been done.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-16-2020 at 05:48 PM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El