Page 27 of 34 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
Results 391 to 405 of 501
  1. #391
    Moderator Frontier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Posts
    56,816

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Totally expect it to be Justice League. I mean who else would take the book? Williamson is already doing Death Metal tie-ins for JL and he’s got Batman/Superman to scratch his team up itch. Tynion pretty much co-wrote JL with Snyder and seems to only be doing Batman along with his creator owned stuff. Taylor would be an obvious choice (putting aside how dreadful I think he is) but I can’t see DC giving JL to anyone not working exclusively for them, and Taylor is doing an Elseworld for Marvel.

    There’s really no one else “big” enough for the book. At least with Marquez you know it will be gorgeous, and everyone has hated every JL run since, damn, I want to say Robinson’s pre-FP run? I can’t even remember the last time JL was getting universal acclaim lmao, so Bendis will be in fine company.
    He couldn't make Superman or Young Justice sell amazingly so I'm not sure if there's enough of a draw for a Bendis JL. I mean, it'll probably happen because name recognition sometimes trumps everything else, but it just doesn't seem like a lock to me.

    People were hot and cold on Johns and Snyder. A lot of people praised Priest's short-lived run but I really didn't care for it.

  2. #392
    Extraordinary Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    6,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    He couldn't make Superman or Young Justice sell amazingly so I'm not sure if there's enough of a draw for a Bendis JL. I mean, it'll probably happen because name recognition sometimes trumps everything else, but it just doesn't seem like a lock to me.

    People were hot and cold on Johns and Snyder. A lot of people praised Priest's short-lived run but I really didn't care for it.
    I agree, I don’t expect JL to sell great under Bendis. Again though, who else is there really? All the obvious choices are the ones I outlined and I listed why I don’t think they’ll get the book. And Snyder’s JL wasn’t able to match Johns’ sales power either. If it’s crap though I’ll just ignore it like I did Hitch’s run (man was that a flop).

    Maybe I’ll be wrong but I dunno what else Bendis could be doing that involves Superman. An event maybe? Maybe that follow up to Leviathan?

    I read an analysis of Priest’s run that examined it as the sort of The Authority type JL run that DC had wanted for a long time, and I agree with that. It was the last gasp of “realistic” JL before Snyder went nuts with multiversal shenanigans.

  3. #393
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    379

    Default

    Well, the Superman and Young Justice sales are not entirely Bendis's fault, I think. Although DC may think otherwise. Superman, in principle, currently has some problems with popularity, he has a certain maximum sales, and it's pretty difficult to move past it, no matter which author would write him, well, perhaps someone like Johns or Hickman. And about Young Justice, DC just did not give a damn about Tim's generation for years, there is nothing surprising with their sales.

  4. #394
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    24,355

    Default

    Yeah, YJ probably should've relaunched in Rebirth, not two years later, as Tim and Cassie, and versions of Bart and Kon, had been in New 52 Teen Titans. But Bendis was still at Marvel then, and Superman Reborn hadn't happened yet so Conner would've still been his New 52 version (there would've been nothing stopping them bringing the real Bart back though).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  5. #395
    Extraordinary Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    6,065

    Default

    They relaunched it in the same vein as the old 90s series, but the problem with that is the fanbase is gone. They’d have been better off mimicking the cartoon, that’s what the new gen think of when they think “Young Justice”.

  6. #396
    Fantastic Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Posts
    379

    Default

    They had to either focus on the new generation (ideally, I still hope for a title with Damian, Jon, Yara, etc., when Future State is over), or take a concept from the series so that they can combine the characters. To be honest, I don't understand why they ignore it. Nostalgia isn't bad, but where it works with Batman, or maybe Superman, it won't work with other characters, especially those that were mostly missing or just played a small role.

  7. #397
    Incredible Member Midnighter's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    600

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They relaunched it in the same vein as the old 90s series, but the problem with that is the fanbase is gone. They’d have been better off mimicking the cartoon, that’s what the new gen think of when they think “Young Justice”.
    The audience is still there. The fanbase for these characters is still there. The problem is that the series itself was meandering. Some interesting ideas were introduced but never really followed up on. There were some really good character moments but no real direction to the plot at all.

    Bendis kinda dropped the ball there. Out of all of his projects this one seemed to get his least focus and attention. I think he just took on too much.

  8. #398
    Fantastic Member SuperX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Lol hilarious thst some are trying to act like the character or YJ concept is the reason the series didn't work, when it wasn't at all. It was a boring, dragged out,convuluted series with only slight "moments" where the characters were their amazing selves, and not blah

  9. #399
    Invincible Member Digifiend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    24,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    They relaunched it in the same vein as the old 90s series, but the problem with that is the fanbase is gone. They’d have been better off mimicking the cartoon, that’s what the new gen think of when they think “Young Justice”.
    They can't mimic the show roster in any season in the comic.

    Introduced in season 1:
    Dick Grayson - was in use in Titans, then got amnesia.
    Aqualad - available.
    Wally West - in jail due to Heroes in Crisis, then busy in Flash Forward.
    Superboy - available.
    Miss Martian - was in use in Titans.
    Artemis - is a villain in the comics. They'd probably have to substitute her with Speedy or Arrowette, neither of whom had appeared in the comics for years (Bendis's YJ did end up bringing back Arrowette). The other archer sidekick, Red Arrow, is a Teen Titan.
    Bio-Ship, Sphere and Wolf all don't exist in the comics.
    Zatanna - is JLA generation in the comics, the cartoon de-aged her by a whole generation. This makes her unusable. Even if she was a teen, she's busy in Justice League Dark anyway.
    Rocket - blocked by the Milestone legal problems that were only recently resolved.
    Roy Harper - currently dead.

    Introduced in season 2:
    Batgirl - available.
    Bumblebee - available.
    Mal Duncan - available.
    Lagoon Boy - available.
    Beast Boy - was in use in Titans.
    Tim Drake - available.
    Wonder Girl - available.
    Blue Beetle - available.
    Impulse - available.
    Static - same problems as Rocket.

    Introduced in season 3:
    Arrowette - available.
    Spoiler - available.
    Traci 13 - available.
    Geo-Force - is older in the comics.
    Halo - is drastically different in the comics, probably best to create a legacy character.
    Forager - doesn't exist in the comics, so an origin would be needed.
    Terra - available.
    Orphan - available.

    https://youngjustice.fandom.com/wiki...rship_Timeline

    At best you could cobble together a team from all three seasons of the show. It couldn't be exactly like any season.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

  10. #400
    Extraordinary Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    6,065

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Lol hilarious thst some are trying to act like the character or YJ concept is the reason the series didn't work, when it wasn't at all. It was a boring, dragged out,convuluted series with only slight "moments" where the characters were their amazing selves, and not blah
    Oh I still think the characters are popular (at least Kon, Cassie, Bart, and maybe Tim), I just don’t know if the storytelling format of PAD’s YJ which Bendis was imitating is as popular now. There’s very few comedic slice of life comics out these days. That said you may be right that the blame for the failure lies mostly with Bendis, New Mutants for example is another book which I thought was long past it’s prime yet got new life as part of HiX-Men.

  11. #401
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Posts
    1,345

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    Well, the Superman and Young Justice sales are not entirely Bendis's fault, I think. Although DC may think otherwise. Superman, in principle, currently has some problems with popularity, he has a certain maximum sales, and it's pretty difficult to move past it, no matter which author would write him, well, perhaps someone like Johns or Hickman.
    Not really, Bendis was selling below the supposed general Superman ceiling, even with all the heavy promotion. Plus, Bendis, given his name, was probably getting paid more than most of the other recent writers on the title (Morrison and Johns being the exceptions).
    Currently Reading:

    DC: The Flash, Aquaman

    Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

    Boom: Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers, Go Go Power Rangers

  12. #402
    Fantastic Member SuperX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Oh I still think the characters are popular (at least Kon, Cassie, Bart, and maybe Tim), I just donít know if the storytelling format of PADís YJ which Bendis was imitating is as popular now. Thereís very few comedic slice of life comics out these days. That said you may be right that the blame for the failure lies mostly with Bendis, New Mutants for example is another book which I thought was long past itís prime yet got new life as part of HiX-Men.

    If they were smart they would have brought back the YJ4, but brought them back atleaat a couple years older than they are portrayed now, maybe at the 19 cutoff for being a teen threshold, and gave them all their "nightwing" growth thst we long time fans have been wanting for forever now. Mix the different versions of all the characters up into the new Rebirthed versions and moved forward with them.

  13. #403
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    1,776

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    Lol hilarious thst some are trying to act like the character or YJ concept is the reason the series didn't work, when it wasn't at all. It was a boring, dragged out,convuluted series with only slight "moments" where the characters were their amazing selves, and not blah
    Honestly, Bendis's YJ being boring aside, I think there was lack of interest from fans too.

    Sales of Young Justice fell pretty fast even before the comic becomes really boring.

    In the current market, there are many comics with relatively popular characters that don't sell good regardless the quality.



    Quote Originally Posted by SuperX View Post
    If they were smart they would have brought back the YJ4, but brought them back atleaat a couple years older than they are portrayed now, maybe at the 19 cutoff for being a teen threshold, and gave them all their "nightwing" growth thst we long time fans have been wanting for forever now. Mix the different versions of all the characters up into the new Rebirthed versions and moved forward with them.
    The problem is DC just want YJ4 because they are teens. If DC want older characters, they would use Nightwing's generation.
    Last edited by Konja7; 10-25-2020 at 09:49 AM.

  14. #404
    Fantastic Member SuperX's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    302

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Konja7 View Post
    Honestly, Bendis's YJ being boring aside, I think there was lack of interest from fans too.

    Sales of Young Justice fell pretty fast even before the comic becomes really boring.

    In the current market, there many comics with relatively popular characters that don't sell good regardless the quality.




    The problem is DC just want YJ4 because they are teens. If DC want older characters, they would use Nightwing's generation.


    And that's all sad, cause they are really great characters, and can be great

  15. #405
    Extraordinary Member Vordan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    6,065

    Default

    So is this just kind of the general Superman thread now to replace the previous Bendis one? If so I’ll just pass along that Tom King seems to be working on another Superman project, he mentioned that in his recent interview with Word Balloon and on Absolute Comics YouTube (haven’t watched it myself just heard he does but I did listen to WB and can confirm he mentions it there for certain). Looking forward to that given I enjoyed Up in the Sky! very much.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •