Page 2 of 61 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    THANK GOD! One of the worst Superman runs ever! But I'm already feeling sorry for the poor sod with the ungrateful task of cleaning up the mess he's going to leave behind.
    So am I, poor shlub.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Astonishing Member

It's not that hard, especially with Death Metal. They just can ignore entire run or most of it.
    But I think they will just deage Jon (most likely Bendis will do it himself in Legion finale, judging by solicits). Regarding the status quo, I wouldn't be surprised if they leave it as it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgoth View Post
    It's not that hard, especially with Death Metal. They just can ignore entire run or most of it.
    But I think they will just deage Jon (most likely Bendis will do it himself in Legion finale, judging by solicits). Regarding the status quo, I wouldn't be surprised if they leave it as it is.
    I hope that's what happens. It would make my ecstatic if you're right.

The Powers that Be are going to have to do something. I find it more than a coincidence that this happens the same month Death Metal ends. I don’t think there will be a reboot, but maybe a reload. DC needs a coherent timeline that they can keep and work with for a while. Just telling good stories would be a plus, though some other stuff in the comics has been good. I will say, the past four years has been a slow build up and they really can’t afford to crap the bed here. Snyder (and from the monthly solits) and Johns need to stick the landing. If they want to make everything matter, there will be some picking and choosing of what stays and what goes.
    Let’s hope 2021 looks more like Pre-Flashpoint with touches and hints of everything from the past decade.

Should make for an interesting 2021.
    Bendis’ run marks the first time I’ve regularly collected Superman/Action Comics in a few decades, so here’s hoping the books keep my attention. I like collecting these books.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Get ready for Dan Jurgens again.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Christ I hope not. I don’t want either him or Tomasi back on the main books again. Maybe give Tomasi Super Sons again and toss Jon there, Jon fans seem happy with Tomasi’s characterization of Jon as “generic super hero kid” so let them have that.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Christ I hope not. I don’t want either him or Tomasi back on the main books again. Maybe give Tomasi Super Sons again and toss Jon there, Jon fans seem happy with Tomasi’s characterization of Jon as “generic super hero kid” so let them have that.
    I hope to god DC puts someone interesting on the SUPERMAN books. Bendis' run was at least a quality title (even if it wasn't terribly interesting), it'd be nice to see that followed by another strong act.

KSD is off AQUAMAN (sadly), maybe she can take over! I'd be into that.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 09-11-2020 at 11:26 AM.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    If you ask me the kid had more personality in Supersons than Superman could hope for in the main books and Bendis run. Jon embodied the silverage superman and goku in spirit and fun.

They should poach Al Ewing from Marvel, but it won't happen.

If I have to bet, we will get one of the 3: Fraction, Taylor or Waid. Regardless of the writer, DC should listen to Jorge Jimenez wishes and give him one of the Super titles.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post

If I have to bet, we will get one of the 3: Fraction, Taylor or Waid. Regardless of the writer, DC should listen to Jorge Jimenez wishes and give him one of the Super titles.
    Ewing is a solid choice.

Fraction would be dope, but I'm totally uninterested in the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    I'd be more afraid of a lazy take like him and/or Tomasi again if the structure at DC was pretty much the same. Since it isn't though, there's at least a decent chance some thought will be put into Superman this time around.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Here’s a thought.

Grab three writers. Make them BIG names and match them with three artists that will draw even more people.

Let’s say we get Mark Waid, Joshua Williamson and Al Ewing.

Then, we go back to legacy numbering starting in January for Superman (which would be #840, if I’ve added correctly). Keep Actions numbering (duh) and launch a third Superman title. For now, we will call it The Man of Steel.

On TMOS, your team will be Ewing and Doug Manke. This would be your “jumping on point for new readers” book.

On Superman we have Williamson and Porter. This would be your “Metropolis and supporting characters with a touch of family dynamics book”.

Then, Action will be Waid and Jorge Jimenez. This will be your over the top Action packed book.

The main thing will be is these books will be slightly connected. Not so much triangle years connected, but kind of like how Marv and Byrne did back in 86.

A little something for everyone. Maybe a crossover once a year to pull in the dough between the three books.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post

Those three are my guesses too. God I wish Yang would get another shot on the main books with Action.

Of the three the only one I wouldn’t be excited for is Taylor, and that’s because I find him to just be a spiritual successor to Johns. Even when his Superman isn’t evil, I don’t find his take interesting or deep. Taylor would probably just write the main Superman books like a Batman team up anyway. He’s never shown any interest in Superman’s Rogues beyond using them to prop up Batman, he’s exactly what the franchise doesn’t need right now. Superman needs someone who will come on and revamp Metallo or Parasite and keep building up his world. That’s not Taylor, whenever he can’t rely on slaughtering C-Listers for cheap “feels” he struggles.

Waid could either be fantastic or terrible. It depends on whether he’s open to using married Superman with a kid and living Kents, all stuff that Waid has never been a fan of. But the man loves Superman and has put a ton of thought into how he and his world operates. I’d definitely give him a chance and I think he still has one last great Superman story in him at least.

Fraction is golden in my eyes after Jimmy Olsen. I’ll take any Superman stories he wants to write. I loved his worldbuilding with the Luthor and the Olsens, and he was the one who argues for the Metropolis City Council to focus their stories on Metropolis. He definitely wants to do some worldbuilding and he can do it well.
    Last edited by Vordan; 09-11-2020 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    If you ask me the kid had more personality in Supersons than Superman could hope for in the main books and Bendis run. Jon embodied the silverage superman and goku in spirit and fun.
    That he did, IMO. I also dug his dynamic with Damian. Here is hoping Jon gets de-aged/reverted to his happy kid self ASAP.