Page 20 of 61 FirstFirst ... 1016171819202122232430 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Get Gail Simone. She's proven to an impressive writer in the DCU. The core Super-titles have been dominated by male writers for far too long.

I'd be all for getting the next Louise Simonson for Superman. I'm just...not confident that Simone would be that. Her DC work was really spotty, imo. Her home seemed to be with Secret Six, that's where she thrived best.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    I'd be all for getting the next Louise Simonson for Superman. I'm just...not confident that Simone would be that. Her DC work was really spotty, imo. Her home seemed to be with Secret Six, that's where she thrived best.
    Spotty how? Simone was often screwed over by editorial, so I’m inclined to blame any problems in her work on them, although her Plastic Man mini bored me. But she has written some Action Comic issues with Byrne no less. Anyone read them? They any good? I doubt she’s in the running anyway, she’s off doing indie stuff last I checked.

TBH nothing except her Secret Six ever resonated with me. So what I mean by spotty is just I never cared for much else of her DC output. Her Wonder Woman and Batgirl were just...ok. How much things might have been meddled with in those cases I cannot recall, I just remember not being overly impressed. Nothing unreadable, just nothing memorable.

But yeah that aside, she's currently not employed by DC.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-19-2020 at 01:38 AM.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Astonishing Member

TBH nothing except her Secret Six ever resonated with me. So what I mean by spotty is just I never cared for much else of her DC output. Her Wonder Woman and Batgirl were just...ok. How much things might have been meddled with in those cases I cannot recall, I just remember not being overly impressed. Nothing unreadable, just nothing memorable.

Her Batgirl was so editorially interfered with that she quit. Birds of Prey was phenomenal. Didn't she have problems with editorial on Wonder Woman?

Astonishing Member

Her first run on Birds Of Prey was awesome. That, Secret Six and her mini's. I also didn't mind her Wonder Woman either (because she introduced Genocide). I do remember stories about editorial interference around that time. Her run seemed to end rather abruptly, from what I recall.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Last Son of Krypton View Post
    Generations: Future State was teased in Detective Comics 1027. It should follow Jurgens' Generations: Shattered one-shot.

Looks it's a Bendis' project: https://twitter.com/BRIANMBENDIS/sta...98864750776321
    The name Future State does kind of sound like something where Superman might team up with The Authority. So it could very well have something to do with that Jon as Superman and Clark with the authority 5G storyline.
    Currently Reading:

DC: The Flash, Challenge of the Super Sons, Nightwing

Image: Lazarus: Risen, The Old Guard, Black Magick

Boom: Mighty Morphin', Power Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Spotty how? Simone was often screwed over by editorial, so I’m inclined to blame any problems in her work on them, although her Plastic Man mini bored me. But she has written some Action Comic issues with Byrne no less. Anyone read them? They any good? I doubt she’s in the running anyway, she’s off doing indie stuff last I checked.
    I thought they were pretty solid. Superman vs Doctor Psycho was pretty interesting and she introduced Livewire into the comics.

She wrote a good Lois.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Her Batgirl was so editorially interfered with that she quit. Birds of Prey was phenomenal. Didn't she have problems with editorial on Wonder Woman?
    Its very possible, like I said I can't really remember. Only example I remember was not exactly interference per se but undercutting when they let Rucka do his WonderBat **** in Blackest Night while Gail was in the middle of a storyline with Diana and Tom. The undercut there was pretty contentious amongst the WW fanbase. Quite possible if not probable there was a lot more but someone more informed can field that.

In any case I don't want to make it seem like I have anything against her. I would be on board in a situation where she was with DC again and got a shot. There's rarely a situation where I won't give someone a shot. It just wouldn't necessarily have me bouncing off the walls. But that's certainly no pre-requisite.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 09-19-2020 at 12:36 PM.

Simone is pretty hit or miss with me too. It seems like when her heart is really in it, she's amazing, but if she's just doing a gig out of, I dunno, mild curiosity or because she has bills to pay, you can really tell.

I loved her original Birds of Prey, her Secret Six, I thought her Ghost was decent, I even enjoyed her Plastic Man mini from a year or two back. But a lot of her other stuff seems kinda bland.

Her Wonder Woman is.....I dunno, she was playing with a status quo I didn't like that the previous writer/s had brought in, and editorial seemed up her ass on a ton of things. Maybe if she hadn't been saddled with the crap from previous runs and editors had stayed out of her way it would've worked, but her WW stands out in my mind as one of the biggest disappointments I've had with that title; I had such high hopes but thought the run was largely forgettable.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Her Batgirl was so editorially interfered with that she quit.
    She was pushed out, you mean. They went for a complete tonal change after that, from Simone's dark and gritty take to the semi-comedic Burnside era.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Get Gail Simone. She's proven to an impressive writer in the DCU. The core Super-titles have been dominated by male writers for far too long.
    She tends to struggle with the uberpowerful types. She is nigh PEERLESS with street levelers though. So I know she would totally rock the Planet staff and the investigation aspects

She did actually. If what I heard is accurate she was forbidden from using Rucka's evolution of the Gods. She also had to limit her Genocide story participants so the Leaguers used were not the A+ squad she intended. Additionally it was rumored that the divinity she was originally going to use was Knockout.

On the latter point it is the only time I have ever said "Thank goodness for Dan and company jumping in."

https://www.instagram.com/p/CFU38a8B...d=y2tfhcbtojd9
    Hah ok Venditti I’m inclined to give you a shot at one of the main books for this. He certainly has the enthusiasm for it.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    https://www.instagram.com/p/CFU38a8B...d=y2tfhcbtojd9
    Hah ok Venditti I’m inclined to give you a shot at one of the main books for this. He certainly has the enthusiasm for it.
    Lol, he is not wrong though. That's a blue skin-tight Batman that can fly. He came from Krypton planet and stranded on Earth, found by the Waynes during their outing.