Page 36 of 61 FirstFirst ... 2632333435363738394046 ... LastLast

There was some technical issue with the Superman Future State panel it seems like. I doubt they just skipped it.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    There was some technical issue with the Superman Future State panel it seems like. I doubt they just skipped it.
    I was wondering why nothing was being reported...

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Ah. I thought these panels were pre-recorded? Does that mean we gotta wait until solicits?

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Ah. I thought these panels were pre-recorded? Does that mean we gotta wait until solicits?
    I don't know. All I saw was a few.people tweet they either couldn't get into it or they did and there was no sound. Who knows what happened.

Yang was part of the Batman panel though. Doesn’t look like anything from the Superman panel was important enough to be reported. Guess maybe Waid will get the books after all? Yang would’ve been at the Superman panel if he was getting a book. Venditti just posted on Instagram that he hopes to do more Supes again in the future, so he’s out. Maybe it’s Waid and Taylor? I’d rather Waid get both then, Taylor sucks.
    Lol, I think I would tend to agree. I mean...part of me would say I'd give him a chance on the benefit of the doubt that evil/dark Superman isn't all he can do. But at the same time since nevertheless that has to date been all he's done, I'd be hesitant to a degree.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Lol, I think I would tend to agree. I mean...part of me would say I'd give him a chance on the benefit of the doubt that evil/dark Superman isn't all he can do. But at the same time since nevertheless that has to date been all he's done, I'd be hesitant to a degree.
    I don’t hold Injustice against him, that’s not why I think he’s bad. I think he’s bad because he’s the heir to Geoff Johns. He writes in the exact same style: “wholesome” moments combined with C-Listers getting their arms ripped off to sell the stakes. But Johns likes the B and C-Listers more than Batman, which is something that helped balance it all out imo. Taylor doesn’t, Taylor loves Batman far more than anything else at DC, no matter what he says. I can accept that DCeased is an Elseworld and thus Batman is smarter than Lex on that Earth. I can’t in a million years accept Lex ever outright even considering the possibility of that being true, much less openly saying it as he did in Taylor’s book. So Taylor’s record with Superman villains is bad, if he can’t even get the basic core of Lex right, he’s not going to be the guy to do a cool Metallo or Parasite story. I think he would be worse than Tomasi who at least gave me good Manchester Black, Eradicator, and Bizarro stories.

Finally though: His Superman is a moron. Taylor has said that the DCAU was a big influence on him growing up, and Jesus does it show. His Supes is very dumb even outside of Injustice, although I must admit Taylor in general relies on “idiot” plots where everyone acts stupid so that he can hit the beats he wants to. He’ll write Superdad spouting speeches about Hope while doing nothing actually meaningful and raising his kid on empty platitudes the way a lot of people think Superman should. That’s honestly what I see as Taylor’s key to success: He writes characters the way pop culture thinks of them: Batman always has the upper hand in every situation, Superman is nice, kind, and dumb, WW is a warrior who wants either Batman or Superman’s cock, Harley is Le wacky shenanigans girl, etc.

The problem is Superman’s pop culture version sucks and I’m not paying money to read about some corn fed dope who is too naive to get how the world works. That’s not how he actually is outside of bad stories by bad writers, and I don’t have any interest in Taylor pushing that. Waid for all his flaws has shown he can hit on all the aspects of Superman from the kindness & optimism most know about, to the deep seated anger most don’t.
    Last edited by Vordan; 12-06-2020 at 06:33 PM.

I'll be honest, Injustice and DCeased are all I've ever taken a look at of his stuff before. And I'm not a fan of either so even that comes with an amount of bias. Don't have the experience with him elsewhere that you have, but if I can take your word for it and I think I can, that's the type of stuff I generally can't stand either out of Superman writing and general DC-wide tropes.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I don’t hold Injustice against him, that’s not why I think he’s bad. I think he’s bad because he’s the heir to Geoff Johns. He writes in the exact same style: “wholesome” moments combined with C-Listers getting their arms ripped off to sell the stakes. But Johns likes the B and C-Listers more than Batman, which is something that helped balance it all out imo. Taylor doesn’t, Taylor loves Batman far more than anything else at DC, no matter what he says. I can accept that DCeased is an Elseworld and thus Batman is smarter than Lex on that Earth. I can’t in a million years accept Lex ever outright even considering the possibility of that being true, much less openly saying it as he did in Taylor’s book. So Taylor’s record with Superman villains is bad, if he can’t even get the basic core of Lex right, he’s not going to be the guy to do a cool Metallo or Parasite story. I think he would be worse than Tomasi who at least gave me good Manchester Black, Eradicator, and Bizarro stories.

Finally though: His Superman is a moron. Taylor has said that the DCAU was a big influence on him growing up, and Jesus does it show. His Supes is very dumb even outside of Injustice, although I must admit Taylor in general relies on “idiot” plots where everyone acts stupid so that he can hit the beats he wants to. He’ll write Superdad spouting speeches about Hope while doing nothing actually meaningful and raising his kid on empty platitudes the way a lot of people think Superman should. That’s honestly what I see as Taylor’s key to success: He writes characters the way pop culture thinks of them: Batman always has the upper hand in every situation, Superman is nice, kind, and dumb, WW is a warrior who wants either Batman or Superman’s cock, Harley is Le wacky shenanigans girl, etc.

The problem is Superman’s pop culture version sucks and I’m not paying money to read about some corn fed dope who is too naive to get how the world works. That’s not how he actually is outside of bad stories by bad writers, and I don’t have any interest in Taylor pushing that. Waid for all his flaws has shown he can hit on all the aspects of Superman from the kindness & optimism most know about, to the deep seated anger most don’t.
    I think he definitely plays well to the tumblr/casual audience with his work.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I think he definitely plays well to the tumblr/casual audience with his work.
    I can’t put into words how pissed off I am every time Taylor establishes Batman infected Cyborg with a kill virus the first time the two met.

1. Vic is f****** New Gods tech. That shouldn’t be “hackable” to anyone not using New Gods tech themselves
    2. How the f*** did Bruce do that? He never even met Vic yet he had a kill virus ready to go, a kill virus so advanced Vic can’t detect it even later on? How did he get the specs on how Vic worked? Oh right “BECAUSE HE’S BATMAN ;DDDDDDDDD”
    3. How did no one else detect and use this given apparently Batman with a novice understanding of New God tech can do it?

People use “Batwank” way too liberally, basically as an attack on anything Batman does that’s cool. I try not to be that sensitive and avoid being a butthurt fanboy, but that **** is Batwank to me.
    Last edited by Vordan; 12-06-2020 at 06:51 PM.

I can’t put into words how pissed off I am every time Taylor establishes Batman infected Cyborg with a kill virus the first time the two met.

1. Vic is f****** New Gods tech. That shouldn’t be “hackable” to anyone not using New Gods tech themselves
    2. How the f*** did Bruce do that? He never even met Vic yet he had a kill virus ready to go, a kill virus so advanced Vic can’t detect it even later on? How did he get the specs on how Vic worked? Oh right “BECAUSE HE’S BATMAN ;DDDDDDDDD”
    3. How did no one else detect and use this given apparently Batman with a novice understanding of New God tech can do it?

People use “Batwank” way too liberally, basically as an attack on anything Batman does that’s cool. I try not to be that sensitive and avoid being a butthurt fanboy, but that **** is Batwank to me.
    To be fair though, it feels like Cyborg gets hacked every few months or so...

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    To be fair though, it feels like Cyborg gets hacked every few months or so...
    Lmao I know! And gets torn to shreds too. I hate that as well, I think I’ve been on record venting about how I hate the way Vic gets treated as a (former?) League member. Guess we’ll see if his treatment improves once he’s back with the Titans, since I expect that to happen after Future State. Vic being a Titans Academy members feels like an obvious choice.

Lmao I know! And gets torn to shreds too. I hate that as well, I think I’ve been on record venting about how I hate the way Vic gets treated as a (former?) League member. Guess we’ll see if his treatment improves once he’s back with the Titans, since I expect that to happen after Future State. Vic being a Titans Academy members feels like an obvious choice.
    The fanboy in me will be just happy to see him and Beast Boy talking again.

Jewish & Proud Feminist Shadowcat's Avatar

I wonder if we’ll be getting some New Gods books announced. Not sure who I’d like to see on it tho. Maybe Brandon Peterson on art.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcat View Post
    I wonder if we’ll be getting some New Gods books announced. Not sure who I’d like to see on it tho. Maybe Brandon Peterson on art.
    The New Gods are supposed to be a big part of DC’s upcoming plans, I read that somewhere. Hopefully that includes the non-Darkseid New Gods.

They still haven't announced who will take over AC and Superman??? Solicits come out this week if I'm not mistaken